“pork ribs are the best thing on Famous Dave's menu”
Review of Famous Dave's

Famous Dave's
Ranked #11 of 194 Restaurants in Novi
Cuisines: Barbecue
Southfield, Michigan
“pork ribs are the best thing on Famous Dave's menu”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Having lived in Kansas City (home of beef barbeque), I am a tough critic of barbeque. However, the ribs at this Famous Dave's location are the best barbeque ribs I have found in Michigan (including 3 other Famous Dave locations). We took a small family group here for a birthday celebration recently and ordered 4 slabs of ribs (each with 2 sides) for 8 people.

GOOD: ample portion of ribs per slab, freshly made, and decent cuts of meat. These slabs were more uniform than some (occasionally we get some dryer or fattier slabs). French fries were hot, crunchy, and tasty; cole slaw was fresh and tangy. Beans had small chunks of meat in them. Service on a Sunday afternoon at 1:30 was quick because the restaurant was almost empty. Sturdy chairs with no arms were perfect for heavy-set members of our party (lots of tables, so we did not have to try to wedge people into a booth). Nice free ice cream/whipped cream dessert for the birthday boy.

BAD: always hard to hear here -- loud music and nothing to absorb sound. Ribs are just not a cheap meal -- its a pricey meal that is not really very healthy. But, if you are going to be bad, this is the place to do it!

Would recommend to a friend. We have visited here about 15 times in the last 3 years -- sometimes we order the variety platters, but we always regret it -- the best thing they do is their pork ribs.

Watch for coupons and sales to keep costs down.

• Visited August 2013

Indianapolis, Indiana
“I won't go back”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

The service was terrible and the food wasn't great. The chicken was just ok. The corn on the cob was over cooked. The pineapple was over seasoned. However, the corn bread was excellent. My husband's ribs were average. And we thought it was overpriced.

• Visited June 2013
“Good place for ribs that is close to my house.”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

When I am in the mood for ribs this is a good place for me. No ambiance but the ribs and cornbread biscuits are great. The sides are kind of bland. I like the variety of sauces. The service is like you would expect. It is a pleasant experience when you want ribs. Good value for the money.

Visited November 2012
S. Walpole
“Barbeque and Service”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

This was a first time meal and it more than met expectations. The feast for two easily fed three people and everything on the platter was excellent. From cornbread to ribs and sausage everything was tasty and well prepared.

It is a really nice feature to have so many sauce options.
That way if you do any damage to your diet it was your choice.

For a crowded restaurant it was surprisingly quiet enough to have a pleasant conversation.

Good value for the money and excellent midwestern type service. friendly people and prompt attention.

• Visited May 2013
Novi, Michigan
“You will become a regular!”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband and I regularly eat at Famous Dave's and greatly enjoy the food. We have traveled all over the country and tasted all different kinds of BBQ sauces, and we still enjoy Famous Dave's Rich and Sassy the best. We have even purchased the sauce at the grocery store. Recently, they have been running a brisket burger special and it is amazing! I had the one with the onion rings on top and it was out of this world! We also enjoy being part of the P-I-G e-mail club and getting special discounts and offers. In addition, around the holidays they typically run gift card specials. If you eat here regularly, I highly recommend buying gift cards as it will save you quite a bit.

• Visited April 2013

Been to Famous Dave's? Share your experiences!