“Forgetfulness and redemption”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Juneau, AK
“Forgetfulness and redemption”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I spent a night at this hotel in March 2013.

This Hilton Garden Inn has a focus on energy conservation. The hot water is set to be just hot enough when cranked all the way. The lights in your room and the bathroom will only stay on if you insert your room key in a slot just inside the door. That is a great idea if you remember to remove your key before leaving the room - which I failed to do. So I had to make a stop at the front desk, where I was quickly offered another key, along with the breakfast coupon that wasn't in my welcome pack.

I was really impressed (and gratified) that someone from the restaurant brought my pill case to my room after I left it on my table. That was a much-appreciated extra touch that avoided a real pinch for me.

Clean, comfortable, and quiet. Mattress was a little hard but I got a good night's sleep.

I would stay here again. With any luck I'll keep better track of my meds!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
HGINoviGM, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Detroit/Novi, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Thank you for choosing the Hilton Garden Inn Novi. I appreciate the comments regarding the responsiveness of the staff. Our goal is to exceed your expectations and create a personal touch while staying at the hotel. The next time your travel plans bring you back to Novi, please stop by the front desk so I may personally thank you for the opportunity to serve your needs.

Sincerely

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, Canada
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Our first impression of this establishment was excellent!. The clerk at the counter checking us in was extremely pleasant and helpful. Upon checking out, we had the same clerk and again the service she provided was exceptional. Our room was very clean. The pool area very nice too.
The issue comes with the intregrity of this establishment. By my own fault, I left a leather jacket in our room. As soon as I realized I had done so, I called the hotel. Again, the staff were very pleasant and offered to look in the lost and found but it was not there. I received apologies but there was nothing they could do.
A number of days have passed and I'm still bothered by the fact that my jacket was not there. I decided to call the General Manager today to discuss my concerns with him.
During our first conversation he explained to me their hotel has several policies and processes in place. When a guest leaves, the room is cleaned. If any items are found, they are documented and held for 90-100 days. If they are not claimed, they are either donated or thrown out. After the room has been cleaned, it is then checked again for quality assurance. By his own words, his staff go through the room twice before other guests are given that room. He offered to make a thorough search for my jacket and get back to me.
A short time later the GM called me back explaining that he made a thorough search for my jacket but with no luck. I told him I was very discouraged by that news. If these processes and policies are in place, my jacket should still be at their property. It was suggested that that guests need to take personal responsibilty for their belongings. I agreed with him but pointed out that he should be taking responsiblity for his staff's actions. I was then asked if I knew how many guests had stayed in the room we were in since my stay. I let him know that is irrelevant as had his staff followed the policies and processes previously outlined by him, it certainly would not be another guest that found my jacket, but his staff.
He continued by letting me know that everyday they find hundreds of items that were left behind and can't be resposible for all of them. Again, my question is that if these policies and processes are in place, there should be some responsibiltiy on their part.
In all honesty, I would've been satisfied with a sincere apology and the offer to discuss with staff the importance of honesty and integrity at the work place. Instead, it was implied that either another guest took it or I lost my jacket elsewhere - absolutely no offer that they may be at fault was offered. Just blame on others.
To add salt to my wound, upon looking at their website, I came across their "Hilton Garden Inn Satisfaction Guarantee... We promise to do whatever it takes to ensure you’re satisfied, or you don’t pay. You can count on us. GUARANTEED™. The Hilton Garden Inn Promise reflects our focus on hospitality and integrity. We are committed to providing an excellent hotel experience for every guest, every time."

Although the hospitality was outstanding, the integrity was substandard.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
HGINoviGM, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Detroit/Novi, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for speaking with me by telephone on March 5th regarding your lost jacket. I understand how frustrating it can be to realize that 7-10 days after a trip you could not find your leather jacket. As we discussed and you stated in your review I did inform you that the hotel is not responsible for item left by our guests. Once a lost and found request is made we take all necessary steps to find the item in question. Unfortunately in your case the jacket was not found both times you called. Our integrity and commitment to our Brand Promise is extremely important and I would be the first to honer the Promise if I could confirm that the jacket was left. If you or the registered guest of the hotel would like to speak with me further regarding the situation I can be reached at the hotel.

Houston
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I have not yet stayed at this hotel, however, my fiance and I have chosen this hotel to reserve a block of rooms for our out-of-town guests for our upcoming summer wedding. And let me say that so far in the process I'm highly annoyed! So far any questions I have it takes forever and several attempts at contacting our sales contact before I receive any answers. There's the simple issue of good, timely customer service that must not be part of Hilton's culture. My main issue though is that every one of our guests that has called in to reserve a room under our block the front desk has told every one of them that 'oh good you booked the second to last room in their block'. These hotel comments then trickle back down to my fiance and I who get nervous that we need to increase our block and of course after FINALLY reaching our sales contact do we find out 'no worries there's still about 100- something rooms available for your dates'! then why the heck are you telling people there aren't rooms!? And more recently they told my future brother and sister-in-law that they cannot use their Hilton reward pts for some bogus reason. HILTON: stop doing this!! OTHER COUPLES looking to reserve a block here- I am by no means a bridezilla looking to get stressed out about every little thing in my wedding planning process but I'd have to say that out of every wedding-related vendor/company we've worked with thus far that Hilton is a pain in the butt!

• Stayed March 2013
HGINoviGM, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Detroit/Novi, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am sorry to hear that you are having difficulty making reservations for you upcoming wedding. This is the first I am hearing of any trouble. When you get a chance please give me a call directly so I may personally take care of any issues that your guest are running into when making reservations. I can be reached directly at (248) 662-1325.

Gaylord, Michigan
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Very friendly Staff. Had a great stay :) Pool is a little small, but nothing they can really do about it. Would definitely stay again! Staff was responsive to anything i needed, and were always there to answer a question if you had one

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
HGINoviGM, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Detroit/Novi, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Tiffany,

Thank you for choosing the Hilton Garden Inn Novi. I appreciate your positive feedback regarding the staff. If your travel plans bring you back to Novi please give us a call so we can accomodate your lodging needs in the future.

Howell, Michigan
Reviewed February 28, 2013

I would recommend this hotel to anyone. We had a great experience from start to finish. The staff was super friendly and helpful. We were in the area to celebrate my husband's birthday at the local Fountain Walk establishments. We did a pub crawl of sorts for the evening and this hotel was at a great location for that. It is only a hop, skip and jump away from all the entertainment and restaurants.

We were on the top floor so it was nice and quiet with nobody above to disturb us. The room was pleasant smelling when we arrived and felt very clean. The beds were comfy as well.
We will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: We had the top floor so we had no noise above to distract us like most hotel experiences that we hav...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for choosing . I understand that there are many choices in Novi and appreciate that you choose my hotel for your business needs.

Sacramento, California
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I stay at Hilton Garden Inns everywhere I go. This is your typical HGI hotel, and better than most of the competition. I have found that HGI are a great value and very comfortable. The staff was great and very helpful. Breakfast rocks and the coffee is a great start to the day.
The new energy saving light system in the guest room is a great idea!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Ryan B
HGINoviGM, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Detroit/Novi, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Ryan,

Thank you for choosing the Hilton Garden inn Novi. I am glad to hear that you can count on us for a great stay. The next time your travels bring you to the hotel please ask for me personally so I meet you in person and thank you for selecting my hotel above all other options in the Novi area

Canton, Michigan, United States
Reviewed February 13, 2013

I would stay here again. The service was excellent. The staff made me feel welcomed and at home. They were extremely friendly and genuine which is what I look for when I stay in a hotel. If you ask for Nicole she will go above and beyond take care of you along with everyone else. This hotel is somewhere that everyone looking whether for business or pleasure should stay. Its worth every penny spent. Now onto breakfast, although there is the standard buffet style the thing that makes this breakfast worth it is the friendly staff and the excellent skills of the cooks that make the omlettes. I notice that sometimes the cooks come out with the omlette and bring it to you which is amazing.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
HGINoviGM, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Detroit/Novi, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Nicole,

It was our pleasure servicing your needs during your recent stay. I would like to thank you for recognizing the hard work of Nicole and the morning breakfast team. The entire team is committed to providing world class service to all guest that stay at the hotel. The next time your travels bring you to the Hilton Garden Inn Novi, please stop by the front desk so I may personally thank you for the business.