“Mixed Emotions”

Hilton Garden Inn Detroit/Novi
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Novi
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 14, 2012

On March 6th I reserved 2 nights at the GLMM rate ($89.99 per night with free breakfast) for myself and my daughter for Mothers Day weekend. This was the 5th time we have stayed here in the past 7 years for this convention and its always been fantastic.
The Sunday before we left I found out my bank card was skimmed so I spent Monday am at the bank closing out things and getting new stuff. That afternoon I called the hotel and informed them I would not have the card I made the reservation with as I was waiting on a new one, and I was told it would be NO problem.
We arrived to early to check in so went dirrectly to the convention and went back to check in around 4PM, at which we were told there was no room available! I had confirmed reservations so obviously I started complaining and after about 15 miniutes we got keys for room #329. After recieving the keys I was told there would be an additional $50.00 deposit because I chose to pay cash (since I didnt have my card). I asked to speek to the Manager on Duty and Hiba came out. I explained to her I was a victim of fraud and I was waiting on a new bank card and that I had called ahead and was told it would not be a probem so I didnt being the paperwork from the Police Department. She was unprofessional and unexperienced and basically listened while the other desk clerk talked, and then informed me I could pay one night now with the extra $50.00 and the other night in the am. And after I paid they would give me the $50.00 back. I asked did 16 hours really matter as the whole point was the additional money b/c I had no way to access my account, but I was falling on deaf ears so rather than stand there and argue I paid the additional money and went up to the room.
The room was nice and clean but the refrigator did not work, we unpacked and went back to the convention and it was after midnight before we got back to the room. In the morning after showering I realized the hair dryer did not work either. I stoped at the desk on the way out that morning and told Jeri but she acted as if she could care less.
When we got back to the room later that evening I still so upset I went straight up to the room, expecting the refrigator and hair dryer to have been replaced or at least checked, but it appeared neither was taken care of so I went back down to the desk and was told they were fully booked and there was nothing they could do. At this time I also informed them that closset door was also broke and hanging off the bracket, their were pre-teens runing up and down the halls until about 2am last night, and that the hot tub was full of kids so we could not use that either. Again I fell on deaf ears.
We went back to the convention, had dinner and came back around 8PM. The following morning as we were leaving the elevator was not working properly so when we had to take the stairs down from the 3RD floor with all our luggage only to get to the first floor and realized the door was locked and had to exit from the emergency exit and walk around the entire building before comming in the lobby area. I was beyond upset by this time: then a young man walked up and remembered us from previous years saying is name was Ryan and he was now the General Manager and could not believe that nothing was adressed, he appoliged several times (something no one else took the time to do) and told us everyone was basically new and unexperienced to handle problems yet, includig his new manager Hiba. He immeditally filled out paper work, called in a work order for the room and issued us a 100% in full refund and said he was looking forward to seeing us in 2013. I was very pleased when we left and will now return since everything was adressed.

Room Tip: Avoid #329 until problems are adressed, ask for Ryan if you have any probelms
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Michael B, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Detroit/Novi, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2012

Thank you for choosing the Hilton Garden Inn Detroit Novi. It is nice to know that you have chosen to stay with us since our opening in 2008. I understand that Ryan, Front Desk Supervisor, was able to address all concerns and compensate you for any difficulties you may have experienced. If your plans bring you back to Novi next year, I would like to personally handle your reservations. I can be reached at the hotel during normal business hours.

Reviewed March 29, 2012

I have stayed here two times. Once for work and once for leisure. It's in a great location, it's clean, and well kept. The staff is very helpful and nice.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 17, 2012

Overall, a good hotel during my stay with only some minor noise issues.

Pros - clean, spacious room; fast internet; walking distance to some stores and shops. Twelve Oaks Mall is less then a 5 minute drive. Easy highway access; sits back from 12 Mile Road.

Cons - although the property sits back from 12 Mile Road, you can hear a faint hum from the nearby highway. The walls between rooms are also thin. I could hear my neighbor as he was talking on the phone late at night. I called the front desk and they let me switch rooms, which was a plus.

Nice hotel, but I don't know if I'd stay again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo

Thank you for choosing the Hilton Garden Inn Novi last March. I am glad to hear that the front desk staff worked to rectify you concern with the noise. As a frequent traveler I hope you would understand that it can be challenging to control all noise from internal and external sources. We do offer rooms away from the highway and with only one adjoining wall. The next time your travel plans bring you back to Novi, please give me a call directly so I may personally handle your reservation.

Reviewed March 14, 2012

Recently I was traveling for Business in the Detroit area and stayed with the Hilton Garden Inn. Great Hotel very clean and well cared for. I spoke to the GM and shared that I thought that this property was very nice and you can tell that he really enjoyed being in the Hotel Industry.
Pool could be a little warmer.

Room Tip: Try a top level floor.
Reviewed March 14, 2012

This place isn't much different than other Hilton's I've stayed at. The service is good, the rooms are clean and the staff is helpful.

The breakfast was better than I had anticipated. Fresh omelettes every morning and the selection of cereal and other items was very good.

The fitness room wasn't too bad either. It had a couple treadmills, an elliptical and a bike, plus some free weights and exercise balls. It was much better than many hotels I've been in. The pool on hot tub area seemed well kept as well, although I didn't use the facility so I can't say for sure but I did see many people using it and they all seemed quite happy.

Overall it was a pleasant stay. My only complaint is that the beds have those dials that are supposed to adjust the firmness of the mattresses but I don't think they work. I've tried them before in other Hilton Garden Inns and the beds still feels quite hard even on the softest setting, but I still slept fine so not a huge deal. The pillows were at least really comfy.

1  Thank BobbyDij
Reviewed March 12, 2012

I was a bit leery of staying here with some negative reviews i saw about this place. However this place was great the customer service was great the whole place great. I think that Jeri and Abby Gale were great very helpful and bent over backwards to help me out. I would come here again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 7, 2012

I am staying for the second time in this hotel. Like the last time my entire body was itching after the first night and throughout the whole day. I did not pay too much attention to that at first. Then by coincidence I found 2 other guests with the same problem.
We suspected the chemicals in the detergent for the linen or towels to be the reason - but that is only a guess.
Talking to the hotel manager he seemed to have little interest in the topic and appeared not only not alarmed but answered along the lines: We have never had anyone complain in the last years and we have tested the chemicals and that is why there is no problem.
I offered several solutions (we could wash linen in the washing room next door and then test if I have an improvement) but he seemed more interested in ending his shift than to help me.

1  Thank paolo95

Thank you for choosing the Hilton Garden Inn Novi last March. I apologize for the lack of compassion that the individual showed regarding your concern. The comfort of our guest during their stay is extremely important and takes top priority. Since your stay the hotel has installed a new laundry system that requires fewer chemicals to clean our linens. Although we cannot completely eliminate chemical use in the process, this drastically reduces the amount applied. I would be happy to discuss any further questions you may have.