“Typical Benihana”
Review of Benihana

Benihana
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #48 of 89 Restaurants in Northville
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 8 mile
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Good food, typical show at the grill. Not the best Benihana visit I have had. A safe bet for Hibachi.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

My favorite Japenesse steak house. The chef cooked the food right at our table and did a few tricks as well. I can eat at Benihana every week. Love it!

Reviewed February 6, 2013

I LOVE hibachi. I don't mind seeing the same egg roll or shrimp in the hat tricks over and over again, and I never tire of the silly jokes they make. My fiancé and I have tried many times to go to this Benihana for dinner, but they are always booked, so I planned ahead and reserved a spot for his birthday, albeit for 9pm at night.

Here's our little story about our Benihana experience (if you want the short and sweet synopsis, scroll to the bottom):

We decided to arrive a little after 8:15 so we could sit at the bar, order drinks, and enjoy an appetizer (we were famished!). The bar area was very modern and beautiful! The bar service wasn't friendly, but that's okay, I don't expect enthusiasm and smiles from sushi chefs (from countless visits to Asian restaurants over the years, I can tell you that smiles from male, Asian workers are uncommon). The saki he served us was in a delightfully unique glass that my fiancé and I both loved. It had a spot to pack snow into it to keep the saki cold--ingenious and artistic! At 8:48, our sushi roll was placed in front of us and, stomachs growling and mouths watering, we picked up our chopsticks...

...only to have the hostess call us to our table.

It was great that we were served early, but we had been eager to dig into our sushi roll. The sushi chef agreed to bring it to our table but, five minutes later, we still didn't have it in front of us. It was torture for our starving stomachs. When it finally arrived (close to 9pm), we devoured it. It was very good.

As we waited for our chef, we sat in our chairs, shivering from the cold, drafty air. We thought that maybe it was just us, but the facility clearly had issues, there was an ugly mash of plastic bags duct-taped over the door leading into another dining area and one of the workers confessed they had no heat one of the days the previous week, although, supposedly it had been 'fixed'. We were cold throughout the entirety of the dinner.

The chef was very nice and tried hard, which I appreciated, and even dazzled us with a few tricks that were new to me (wow!), but he was either inexperienced, tired from a long day, or suffering from the cold himself, because most of his tricks failed in some way. He was cheerful, though, and I pitied him a bit. He tried.

The soup was great, but the salad was too strong. Normally I LOVE the salads at hibachi places or even wish they were stronger, but I couldn't finish my salad here.

I am always a white rice kind of girl (have to save on calories somewhere), but for some reason I ALWAYS get my rice way after everyone else digs into their fried rice, and this Benihana did the same thing to me. Why do I always have to wait 5-10 minutes after everyone else gets theirs? And another person at our table ordered three orders of fried rice and only got two. So, as far as rice service goes, they failed.

I ordered a filet mignon, as did one other person at the table. The difference between the two steaks was incredible--one was a picture-perfect, thick cut of steak, the other was a squashed-looking, tiny piece that appeared sort of torn-apart and abnormally fatty for a filet mignon. That was the piece I got. Considering I ordered the same thing the other person did--and paid the same price--I was really upset.

Bottom line:
Service--mediocre
Food--hit or miss
Ambiance--beautiful bar, but unremarkable and drafty (cold) dining area.
Price--expensive, but on par for hibachi and was right around what I expected

I do not plan on returning to this Benihana. I will seek out other hibachi restaurants in the area, instead. You disappointed me, Benihana.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

We called the restaurant and we told they were no longer taking reservations on that day. Certainly understanding. We decided to go anyway. When we arrived we were told it would be a 30 minute wait. After about 25 mins we were told it would be 5 more minutes. We waited another 20 minutes people who came in after us were sat. When we inquired about this we were told they were sorry and they'd find us a table. They tried to seat us in the sushi area even though we specifically asked for a grill table. We were told if we wanted to sit at a grill table they'd put our name on the BOTTOM of that wait list and it would be another 2.5 HOURS!!!! Are you kidding me? They made no apologies and told us to wait patiently. WE WILL NEVER RETURN TO THIS LOCATION. MOST DISSAPOINTING DINING EXPERIENCE I HAVE EVER. Needless to say we did not stay to eat. Also the fire alarm was going off for over 20 minutes during this time.

Reviewed December 14, 2012

Recently back to Benihana for the "all you can" Sushi. I am not a big eater but my 17 yr old son can really put it away. Things have really improved in service since the VERY TALL manager left. They did remodel the bar / lounge area and it is clean and much nicer. It still is not a great dining experience. My son enjoys the "all you can" however, last night there were people standing all around us waiting for a Chef's Table with kids screaming, hanging by our booth we could not even get out to go the powder room. Every time the door opened we had a huge cold breeze on our back. Not sure why they remodeled and did nothing to reduce the noise, or do an additional to add a waiting area (for those not eating in the bar / lounge). People were all over, even those not eating in the bar / lounge were taking up tables, making noise, all around us. They were crowded, and I take off my hat to the Sushi Chefs. As I watched the Sushi slips pouring out of the machine, he was moving as fast as he could to get out the orders and the new manager joined in to help. In the past, it seemed as if we were playing a game (they slowed down your "all you can eat" order to save money. Now the service / mangagement is better but still could be improved. Customer service and satisifaction seem much better. The dining experience with the crowd around us still sucks. We have a > $100 bill, and I have people standing around me, noise, cold drafts. I suppose thats the cost of the "all you can". You get "all the people" as well, even those not ordering sushi or seating in the bar / lounge hange around right at your feet as there is no where else to wait. Sad to see a good food / now good service and good management (wow was that an improvement) fail due to low class customers crowding the guests sitting at the dinner table. GOOD FOOD 5 star. Wine 4 STAR. SUSHI CHEFs 5 STAR; waitress seemed new so I won't rate but the crowd around us and overall atmosphere sucked; so low ratings for not being able to put a crowd waiting for the Chefs table (non Sushi, non lounge) waiting for the Chef's Show ontop of me