“Was expecting better, but it was OK”

The Garage Bar and Grill
Ranked #3 of 13 Restaurants in Northport
Cuisines: American
Description: It's new this summer. Owner used to own The Eat Spot in the same city. They are on Facebook.
Holland, Michigan
“Was expecting better, but it was OK”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

This was another stop on our Mario Batali recommendation tour. We ate lunch and had the pulled pork. It was OK. Not spectacular or unforgettable like I had hoped for. It's a fun place for lunch, but perhaps the Batali recommendation made my expections too high. Had very little to offer the vegetarian in the family.

Visited June 2013
3 Thank L A

Eaton Rapids, Michigan
“Unique building”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I guess this really was a garage at one time and it's neat that you can sit in or out but still feel connected to all, especially in the summer.
We split some kabobs as we weren't too hungry. A bit high for the qty. and a bit dry. Ok though. Good service.

Visited August 2013
Detroit Metro Area
“Pulled Pork Yummy”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Had the names of 2 places in Northport we wanted to try while staying in Sutton's Bay. Assumed with a Northport address, both would be in the few block downtown area. The 1st one wasn't (Fischer Happy Hour Tavern, apparently an 'old up north' MUST), but this one was, so we ate here. It was VACATION so we started our trip by having a cocktail, gin & tonic (it was a HOT summery day). SHOCKED when we got our bill----$3.50!!! Awesome! Husband had the regular sized slow cooked pulled pork sandwhich, which almost everyone gets here, believe me--I watched!! I had the mini, which definitely suited me better. Both were delicious! the regular one is quite large. You get cole slaw with both. We shared an order of onion rings which we really didn't need but they were exceptionally good. The restaurant is quite small but also has an outdoor seating area which would be pleasant when it's not 90 (which it was). The bar has a very small seating area. Good for families or couples. Service was very polite and friendly. Northport is a lovely town. Definitely visit!

• Visited July 2013
Traverse City, MI
“Pulled pork is awesome”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

The pulled pork is awesome as well as the coleslaw. We loved it! I tried some of the chicken salad too and it was very good as well.

• Visited July 2013
Waterford, Michigan
“Very good, if you're not hungry after 10pm”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I've been to the Garage several times in my visits to Northport. I highly recommend the pesto pasta and the veggie burger. The house chardonnay is Australian, but they have a fair selection of local wines as well as a full bar with some artisan beers, too. The prices are on par with tourist prices -- a little high, but not outrageous like in Suttons Bay. Weather permitting, the giant garage doors are opened and it gives you a nice, resort feel -- albeit a very simple "garage resort". On occasion they have bands playing outside, which is really fun. My only gripe is that you can't get so much as a chip after 10 pm -- even on a Friday night -- which is exactly what happened to us last year. We came up from downstate, unloaded our gear and headed out for a drink and a bite to eat. The place was hopping, but we had to go down to the casino. Couldn't even get some chips and salsa -- not even a crust of bread. They were open until 2am, but when the kitchen closes it closes. No exceptions. Not even for a party of 4 who are willing to tip very, very well. They may have changed this since last year, and it won't stop me from going there again. It was just annoying.

• Visited September 2012