“Very tasty hamburgers! We always go back to Fischers!”

Fischers Happy Hour Tavern
Ranked #2 of 13 Restaurants in Northport
Cuisines: American, Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Very tasty hamburgers! We always go back to Fischers!”
Reviewed April 13, 2012

This is a little out of the way place that has been there for 40 years. They have steady customers who live nearby and they have regular tourist customers that can't wait to go back. They don't have a website, but people know about this place due to their reputation. 1/3 lb hamburgers about $6.00... done the way you like it, served wrapped in paper and put in an old fashioned paper basket, same with the fries, breaded mushrooms, and thick cut onion rings. They have great sandwiches, caesar salad, seafood, kids menu and lots of different types of beer and soda. No frills, just good food! You'll find it between Leland and Northport. It sneaks up on you, because it looks like someone's house! (Don't worry, there's a big sign in front!)

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank Nickie623

Cincinnati, Ohio
“Have a Happy Hour at the "Happy Hour".”
Reviewed February 9, 2012

There is nothing better than a cool summer night in northern Michigan! Happy Hour Restaurant is a local favorite for dinner with family and friends. Nestled in the hills between Leland and Northport, Michigan, Happy Hour draws in many travelers for their famous fried chicken, juicy cheeseburgers and cream puff sundaes. Patrons will wait up to two hours for a table for dinner. Not only is the food scrumptious; but, also, the atmosphere is fun and family oriented. Once you enter the Happy Hour, you begin your experience by sitting in a room full of old arcade games, where you sign in on a chalk board and wait for your name to be called. After you are seated, a waiter asks for your order. Their menu is the best in northern Michigan! They serve fresh cod, their famous bar chicken dinner, and delicious cheeseburgers, just to name a few of their mouth watering choices. The bar chicken dinner is 4 pieces of fried chicken, fries, and a freshly baked blueberry muffin. Once you are finished with your entree, you must order the delectable cream puff caramel sundae. Happy Hour’s famous dessert is a cream puff sliced in half, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream in between, and hot fudge smothered over the top. This dessert takes decadent to a whole new level! Because the food is so good, you will want to come back again soon. Happy Hour is a great experience, from the moment you walk in the door until the time you leave!

• Visited July 2011
2 Thank John P
Chicago, Illinois
“Just plain old fun!”
Reviewed January 7, 2012

Fischers is a cool spot to get some glorified bar food. The popcorn shrimp are lightly breaded in tempura batter and make for a fun meal. I also loved the grilled asparagus they serve on the side. If you get the fried chicken dinner, it comes with a blueberry muffin, which is an unlikely yet good combination. It's a little dark inside but they also do a great take out service if you want to enjoy the food with a beautiful Michigan sunset.

Visited July 2011
1 Thank WDWItaly
mid-Michigan
“The Best Bar Food I've Ever Had”
Reviewed November 4, 2011

We recently visited Fischer's while on a recent mini-vacation up north. I knew that Fischer's was a popular spot with the locals, and the quaint little white building along the road looked inviting, but the menu I'd seen online struck me as...well...meh; bar food.

I couldn't have been more wrong. (Don't I love it when a restaurant exceeds expectations!) I've really never had better food in a tavern atmosphere than I have here. Not necessarily because Fischer's does anything radically different with its food...but at least when we visited it seemed to do everything very well, indeed.

We visited on a cold, rainy Tuesday night; how nice to walk into a warm, cozy little place reminiscent of a neighborhood tavern in the Old Country. We were surprised by how small the place really is -- which also added to the sense of warmth and conviviality. Despite the weather and the fact that it was a weekday in the off-season, there were enough people in the place to suggest that the food was good enough to bring out the hometown crowd.

Despite my reservations about fried food, I ordered the perch dinner and hoped for the best. My partner ordered a turkey Reuben, aka "Rachel."

The first indicator that I was going to have a great meal was the tossed salad that came with my dinner. Now, I'm used to small-town restaurant salads that consist of watery brown lettuce with a sliver of pale supermarket tomato. What I got instead was a very fresh, colorful bowl that included crisp greens, red cabbage, grape tomatoes, cucumber and carrots. The house dressing, which had a light dilly/herb-y flavor, was very good.

To my delight, when my perch arrived they were very, very lightly floured and sauteed -- delicate, not greasy. The fish was perfectly fresh and wonderful. With the fish came a pile of oven-roasted baby potatoes, lightly seasoned and delicious.

My partner was equally impressed with her sandwich -- not only was the turkey REAL, unprocessed slices of turkey, but the rye bread and coleslaw were also delicious. "Best Rachel I've ever had," she declared. She'd also ordered some fried cauliflower as appetizers; these were really tasty too.

Our meals were both so huge that two people could have easily shared either one. This is not one of those pretentious places with a spoonful of entree and a smear of reduction; the kitchen anticipates hearty eaters! Sadly, that meant that we had no room for dessert, which is too bad because we'd heard that their pie is very good.

An excellent meal; we'll certainly be back!

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank Michigandress
Indiana
“Not to be missed...Tourist or not!”
Reviewed July 5, 2011

My husband & I visited Fischer's for the 1st time last Summer. We drove along the road looking for a place to eat for dinner...and as we passed, both sides of the road were packed with cars. We figured it must be a great place to eat so we turned around and came back. Admittedly, the wait was quite long, so we opted to take a seat at the bar the moment a couple exited. This does appear to be a popular "locals" spot, however, do not let that deter you!! The whitefish and perch are absolutely incredible and the raspberry pie is the BEST I've ever had my entire life!! We loved our meal and the charm enough to come back again the next night only to repeat our dinner selection again! We had a great experience eating at the bar & talking to the staff as much as we could given their quick pace trying to serve everyone. Take the initiative and talk to others dining if you're a tourist. People are friendly and you can learn a lot about the area from locals. DO expect to wait....but know it's well worth it!

• Visited August 2010