“Excellent accomidations” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gateway Motel

Gateway Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Newberry
Gateway Motel
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Newberry
Limon, Colorado
“Excellent accomidations”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

As a general manager of 3 motels in Limon Colorado I am not accustomed to posting reviews for motels. I am posting this about the Gateway because I was very happy with everything involved at this independant motel in Newberry. The room was very clean, tidy, and very well maintained. Great furniture within the room including a very nice warm, cozy. comfy bed. I was impressed. The managers obviously take pride in the details all around the property. I had alot on my mind during my four day stay in Newberry so unfortunately I am unable to rememeber the owner, or managers name. Thank you for the warm welcome, the hot coffee, and everything else while I stayed.

Room Tip: I would say any room on the cozy property would be well cared for and quiet. I stayed in room 5 near...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Phil N

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Traverse City, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

After having car trouble on 77, we were able to get towed to the dealership in Newberry, located conveniently across the road from Gateway. We were reluctant but had no other choice, so we got a one bed room for the night. The female owner was kind enough and even allowed our dog, no troubles. Our room was sub par with no shampoo in the shower, no wifi, and poor heating, but it was one night, who were we to complain? After about 30-45 minutes in bed I began to get itchy so, thinking perhaps it was an allergic reaction, I showered then headed to bed for the night. We left the next day and 4 days later the itching became a persistent, full-body issue. 3 weeks later a doctor's visit confirmed it was Scabies, contracted from the bed sheets in the motel. I called the motel to let them know (let's face it, it happens to the best) and possibly seek reimbursement only to be told by the male owner that I am "out of my mind" and then he hung up on me. I am now completely dissatisfied with the place, the owners, and the entire experience. Sorry guys, I'd love to support a fellow yooper but you've let me down.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank Yeslek_13
Midland, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

While driving through Newberry, we stopped at the Gateway Motel based only on their website. While it is a bit dated, the beds were comfortable, the service was friendly, and we got a great night's rest. While the website advertises wifi, it is spotty, but that's to be expected in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. We've since made this motel our regular stopping place when we're in the area! It's a great "mom and pop" motel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Monkeybusiness23
Milford, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

It is hard to know when you are picking a "mom & pop" motel in the UP what kind of experience you are in for. I read the tripadvisor reviews for this hotel before I booked and I was not disappointed! Travelling with dogs can limit hotel choices but this one worked great for us. Our room was spotless! Sometimes older motels really show their age and can have a musty odor but our room was fresh and clean. The decor was charmingly nostalgic with knotty pine panneling, wildlife prints on the walls and it even had two wooden rocking chairs. The bathroom had nice towels, great water pressure and plenty of hot water. There was a desk in the room with various books to read and a magazine rack too. Yes, the magazines were dated but I found it charming - it felt like I was staying in my grandma's guest room! There were three windows in the room we could open up for fresh air and there was even a screen door on the entry too. If I could make one change it would be to add a mini-fridge and microwave to the room. We had cable tv and the wifi worked great. The dog walk area was at the rear of the property and very large. There is a sodium vapor light on a tall pole back there which was nice when I took the dogs out for their last walk of the night. Tahquamenon Falls was a 20 minute drive from the motel. We had a great night's sleep and would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: If you are traveling with dogs ask for a room near the rear of the hotel and you will be closer to t...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank akehcmbf
Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

I stayed here for a night returning from points further West in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. The room that I stayed in was very clean. The one thing that struck me about the motel is that my room appeared to not have been updated in a long time. The desk was well appointed, even had some books in a rack on it - but the newest one that I noticed was copyright 1996. I loved the pine paneling in the rooms, but struggled to find a place to plug in a laptop, due to a shortage of outlets. Furnishings and fixtures in the room were clean and well maintained, but many of them had the look of having been there since the motel was built, which I would guess would have been sometime in the 1950's. Even the internet seemed a bit dated, since you had to put in a WPA key to go online - and for some reason, only one of my computers (the Windows OS one) seemed to be able to connect. I would stay here again, but would probably check out other properties in the area first.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
akron, ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

We chose this hotel because it's pet friendly and had great reviews and we weren't disappointed! Exceptionally clean and very quaint with it's knotty pine paneling, windows that actually open and a bench in front of each room so you can sit outside and visit with your neighbors. Comfortable and quiet, we would definitely stay again!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Troy, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

We were in a jam and saw the good reviews, so we stopped in to rent a room. First, the room smelled pretty bad, but we figured we could hack it since it was just a night. When going out to eat that night, we tapped the bumper of a car in the parking lot, causing some very minor damage. We let the owners know about it, since that's the right thing to do. Turns out it was the owner's car. He starts having a conniption about it, even though my insurance is going to pay the whole thing. Then he tells us we have to leave and he won't be giving us our money back.

Stay away from this property and its unstable owners. Life is too short for this kind of craziness.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank GoSt8
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newberry
Quality Inn & Suites
Adoba Hotel Naubinway
Adoba Hotel Naubinway
#1 of 2 in Naubinway
Americas Best Value Inn - Tahquamenon Country

Been to Gateway Motel? Share your experiences!