“Potential”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newberry
Newberry Campground
Reviewed June 15, 2013

The location of this campground is amazing. It is a shame that the upkeep has not been better. It is in a remote part of the Upper Peninsula with good proximity to many of the sites. It is also located near a small town that allows you to get many things that you may need. The sites for our RV were not level, or even attempted to be leveled. Many of the lights were out in the pool. However, the indoor heated pool was clean and enjoyed by my children. The restrooms were to be cleaned between 1100AM and 1230PM...I went in at 1238PM and there was paper all over the floor and the trash had not been emptied. The main ladies restroom was also not available for use.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank CLF44

Reviewed August 21, 2009

All in all we had a nice camping experience. We usually camp at state parks and pre-kids at state forests, so I thought that staying at a KOA would be fun for the kids. We tent it and there was my hubby, kids ages 6 & 8 and myself. This was part of our northern Michigan trip where we visited Mackinac Island, Munising/Picture Rocks, and then needed to find something central to areas we wanted to visit, so we weren't moving every night. Newberry was a nice location to venture out to Tahquanemon Falls, White Fish Pt, and the eastern side of Picture Rocks.

Upon arrival we were given our site assignment. The nice girl behind the desk said oh, they put you all the way back in #50. I booked online where you just book a site. They didn't have a site map to choose a site. From the map it looked far from the front which is where the pool, game room, showers, and restrooms are located. After locating it, it was a nice site but it was very far from the front and no one else was even near us. Usually we like the no one near us part, but hiking 1/4 mile to the only real bathrooms with two kids didn't sound good to me. If we were able to pack our bikes, it wouldn't have been too bad. They did have a couple portapotties which they cleaned daily, but I preferred the real ones especially for the price. We drove around to find a couple sites we liked and drove back to the front. We couldn't get our first choice #92, but got #98 which is in between our preferred and our original #50. #98 is a large site with water and electric. It's partly sunny which made the tent very hot around 10am. We were usually headed out around that time and only needed to go in the tent to change or retrieve something, so this was not an issue.

The grounds and buildings are kept very nice and clean. The carpet in the front building could use some replacing, but hey it's camping. The showers and restrooms were very clean. They had a few old games to play in the game room area. Tthe indodor heated pool wasn't heated, which was a bummer because that was the one cool thing about camping here that I knew the kids would love. We were also there during the few days that they had highs in the 80s. They said they served ice cream, but when we went to get some there wasn't any ice cream in the ice cream freezer. The girl said that they had to clean it out. She made no mention as to when it would be back, so we didn't discover that they were serving again until the following day after we came back from one of our outings where we had already stopped for ice cream. It looks like they once had a nice little cafe whidh isn't open anymore. Their sign out front does boast hot pasties which I believe they have some in the freezer and then probably heat up in the microwave. The WiFi worked great from the site we were at (my hubby needs to stay connected for work reasons). After hearing the high pitched sound from the pool building exhaust fan, I was glad we weren't really close to the front. Also, the traffic noise can get noisy near the road. Wednesday night must be truck run night. The other two nights traffic noise wasn't too bad. The laundry facilities were nice. I think around 8 washers and 5 driers. One drier was out of order and one that I used took forever to dry. If in the area again and camping, I would consider staying here again.

There's a McDonalds, Pizza Hut, Subway, and gas stations within 1/4 mile of the entrance of the KOA.. A grocery store, Ace Hardware, and a drug store about 3 miles away in the town of Newberry. As well as a little downtown with some shops.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
6  Thank LoveVacations
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newberry
Americas Best Value Inn - Tahquamenon Country
#2 of 8 in Newberry
Zellar's Village Inn
Zellar's Village Inn
#8 of 8 in Newberry

Been to Newberry Campground? Share your experiences!