“A night away with Gma!”

Marina Grand Resort
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in New Buffalo
Reviewed April 5, 2009

Grandma took the girls (daughters and grand daughters) shopping to MI City and this is where we choose to stay the night before.

Very friendly front desk staff - wanted to explain everything to us and make sure we enjoyed our stay.

The hotel was very clean. Very long hallways. It was not busy at all. I can imagine that noise would be an issue with the bedroom doors etc when the resort is busy!

In New Buffalo we ate at Rosies, open for breakfast and lunch - very good. We also ate at a Mexican restaurant that was very good too.

New Buffalo is definitely a summer town...If you enjoy antiquing (or junk stores as I call them) there are a ton of them in the area!

• Stayed: April 2009

Reviewed March 20, 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Marina Grand recently and we found it to be a great value. Our suite (#128) was very nicely decorated, had a well stocked full kitchen and a large wall mounted flat screen TV. We especially liked the king sized bed and the comforter. The view was terrific, all the rooms overlook the harbor. The staff was also very helpful. The restaurant located in the building, the Bentwood Tavern, had great food. We spent a little time at a new Casino, the Four Winds located nearby, which was very nice. We were very pleased and will be back soon for another weekend get away.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 9, 2009

My wife and I enjoy the harbor views and the sound in the distance of Lake Michigan waves rolling ashore. All the amenities in a terrific location.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 2, 2009

Everything here is peaceful and clean. The front desk staff was helpful and friendly. The one bedroom suite looked just like the picture and had everything as far as amenities I could have asked for. The gas fireplace was lovely and the balcony romantic. Igot the best rate for the winter months (apparently not as much traffic in New Buffalo as in the summer) which was okay by me. If you have an urge for real action, just drive an hour to Chicago for the day as I did and then retreat back here for the rest of the weekend.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 6, 2009

My husband and I, along with some friends, visited the Marina Grand just for a little weekend getaway. We have stayed at the hotels sister property, the Harbor Grand, and overall preferred the Marina Grand. We really enjoyed several amenities: a wonderful dinner at the hotel’s restaurant the Bentwood Tavern, complimentary breakfast at Joe (great coffee), and a fantastic one-bedroom suite. It was cold and snowy outside, so not needing to leave the hotel was perfect for us. We were very pleased with our room: a nicely stocked kitchen (plenty of wine glasses, plates, etc), living room with fireplace, very comfortable bed, and a large bathroom with an amazing deep soaker tub.

The only issue was that the hotel was a bit noisy (we could hear people staying in the room above walking around and clearly hear people in the hallway). In regards to noise, the Harbor Grand beats the Marina Grand. There seemed to be more families with small children (literally) running around at the Marina Grand vs. at the Harbor Grand where there seemed to be more couples on a romantic getaway. Noise aside, the amenities overall do make your stay a bit more carefree at the Marina Grand, especially during the winter when you are not as interested in exploring outside.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed November 2, 2008

I love this hotel. Great service and wonderful rooms. I stay there every time I go to New Buffalo. We stayed in Room 242 last time and it was great.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed October 21, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Marina Grand Hotel in New Buffalo over the weekend of October 17th. The purpose of our visit was to experience the fall colors and get out of Chicago for a few days. The location of the hotel is great, right on the harbor and easy walking distance to downtown New Buffalo and the beach. I had read reviews re: the service and noise level at the hotel after I booked it (not like me, I usually check before booking) so I was apprehensive as we entered the lobby to check in. I am happy to report I was pleasantly surprised with the front desk associates, they were friendly, engaging, and helpful. We arrived at noon, knowing that check in was not until 4:00pm we expected to be told to come back at 4. Maybe because it was off-season, our room was ready 4 hours early! I told Holli at the front desk that it was our anniversary and she spent several minutes reviewing the restaurant choices in the area with me so that we could have a nice dinner. The room was very nice, we stayed on the first floor in a 1 BDR suite in room 138 and the view of the marina was gorgeous, especially at night. The room was spacious, clean, well appointed. The bed was very comfortable and the linens were of good quality. The bathroom was very large, marble tile, soaking tub and rainhead shower. After unpacking we headed to the beach to explore and watch the sunset. When we returned there was a bottle of champagne and a card from Holli at the front desk wishing us a Happy Anniversary! What a nice thing to do, totally unexpected. Many people on this site have mentioned the paper thin walls and noise level, so I should comment on it. I do think that for the price you would expect to be able to sleep in if you want to but you should know the construction of this hotel does not lend itself to late sleepers, as you can hear everything in the adjoining rooms. We had a family with kids who awoke at 6:15am and we heard them loud and clear. Thankfully, they either fell back asleep or left the room because the noise died down and we were able to go back to sleep. Other than that - it is a great place, we will definitely return. Breakfast was included in our rate, and it was just OK. It included 1 egg dish and an assortment of pasteries, dry cereal, coffee, juice, and limited fruit.

Stayed: October 2008
#7 of 8 in New Buffalo
The Blue Heron Inn
The Blue Heron Inn
#6 of 7 in LaPorte

Been to Marina Grand Resort? Share your experiences!