“Great spot right on the marina”
Review of Bentwood Tavern

Bentwood Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
Bentwood Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 47 Restaurants in New Buffalo
Cuisines: American, Pizza, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Berrien
Description: Chef Jenny Drilon's sophisticated spin on pub fare, responsibly sourced and beautifully prepared. A warm, friendly gathering place featuring eight Michigan craft beers on tap and a curated wine list. Waterfront dining with outdoor seating available whenever weather allows. Lunch and dinner daily, with brunch from 9am on weekends. Please be advised that the restaurant is operating on Eastern Standard Time.
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Nice menu. We were there for grownup time, but it seemed family friendly, too. It was our first time there, but many of the other diners knew the chef and were clearly regulars. Upscale for New Buffalo, but not stuffy. Very nice experience.

1  Thank JLGarvin
There are newer reviews for Bentwood Tavern

Reviewed May 11, 2013

The food was exquisitely prepared! Hats off to the chiefs! You tickled my taste buds! Presentation was excellently created. The servers were attentive without being obsequious! The Breakfast buffet was quite filling and the lunch menu had a nice choice of selections. The specially selected background music that permeated the restaurant was perfectly chosen and quite tasteful!

1  Thank Deirdre R
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Dining in Michigan does have limitations with regard to consistency, creativity and --well, choices. The city of New Buffalo does not provide visitors a large selection of restaurants; though, many do take advantage and charge a fine dining price. Having dined at Bentwood on several occasions, I have come to know it claims a fine dining experience -- eh, based on the area I guess it does.

The Hoisin Ginger Duck Tacos are by far the best item on the appetizer list. They are plated quite nicely and are tasty. Knowing from an artistic standpoint that odd numbers look better when plated, it's difficult to share an appetizer with just three mini tacos among four people.

The Baked Asiago & Goat Cheese with Flat Bread and tomato coulis (marinara sauce) is good -- but not over the top.

The Bangkok Chicken -- raved as a specialty is okay It is nicely roasted, tender, but lacks flavor other than the dipping sauce (which seems to be ubiquitous to the New Buffalo area).

The Crispy Brick Chicken - served with polenta is one of my favorites and a consistent staple. Is it a reason to visit New Buffalo -- not really. It's a great meal when I don't want to fuss making chicken at home.

The food here is good and tasty, but sometimes falls a little short of a 'wow' factor. Perhaps it may be why I struggle with the high-end prices of entrees -- $18- $21 for chicken? The service, however, is very good and seems all are courteous and eager to please. I would concur the inside atmosphere is noisy and it makes it difficult to carry on a conversation with the person across the table or even next to you. I'm not certain what control they have over the acoustics. So, considering the limited selection of restaurants within the New Buffalo area, I have come to accept that you will pay more for an average+ dining experience with a harbor view.

3  Thank Rubia J
Reviewed April 20, 2013

First, I have been to this restaurant three times before - once for cocktails and an appetizer and twice for lunch in summer when you can sit on the deck and watch the boats. Eating inside is nothing like eating on the deck. It is so noisy, you have trouble hearing the person you are eating with and the background music only adds to the noise. This time we went for dinner, and I ordered the English fish and chips because of the reviews I read here on Trip Advisor and because I love fish and chips. My advise to you is DON'T! The French fries were mealy and limp. They tasted like they were cooked in oil that should have been changed long ago. The cole slaw had some kind of dressing that made it inedible. The fish was cased in what I would describe as a shell. I literally had to crack the breading just like an egg in order to get to the fish, which was overcooked and tasteless. This place has a lot of nerve charging $17.00 for this plate. My husband ordered the Caesar's salad. The romaine was limp, the dressing didn't taste like Caesar's to either of us. It had four croutons and two cherry tomatoes. I'm not telling you not to go to the restaurant - hopefully you will find something on the menu to your liking - I'm just telling you "Don't order the fish."

3  Thank Janice R
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Ok... so Bentwood tries to be this chic, cool Illinois hot spot over here In Michigan and while it is not so bad, it still misses the mark. Take sushi night for example. I'm all about good sushi, but Bentwood does not have it. The rice was overly sticky, the flavors too muted. I've had better sushi in Knoxville, TN, believe it or not. The sea bass weekend special is good, but not $35 worth of good. Everything is good, but it's over-priced. And the place is entirely too loud. You have to shout to be heard across the table, which just makes everyone else shout louder.

I liked this place in the winter... I doubt I'll go there much during "the season." No one needs to deal with that much pretense.

3  Thank TravBug33