“Rundown”

Days Inn & Suites New Buffalo
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in New Buffalo
Reviewed June 26, 2012

We were on a road trip and just needed a place to sleep for the night, so we spent only about 12 hours in the room. The room wasn't very clean (but it wasn't filthy, either), the floor/padding underneath the carpet was mushy (and it felt like the carpet was damp), and there was a residual stink from when the motel must have been a smoking facility. I am not sure why this is called a "resort" as its pretty dingy. I didn't notice bugs (as mentioned by another reviewer) and the sheets were clean (although the bottom sheets didn't quite fit and I noted that my husband's bed had a stained mattress). The bed and pillows were uncomfortable. I am 5'9 and the bed was about as long as I am; my feet felt like they were dangling over the end of the bed all night. Because of the stinkiness, neither my husband or I slept very well. Our room was $117 with tax and it felt over-priced.

On this road trip we discovered many dingy motels for about $100/night, so this may be par for the course. I think this motel was more expensive than it should have been because it was in a vacation-type area. We should have stayed on the road longer, perhaps, as we could have found a similar dive for a little less money!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank pinamae

Reviewed November 14, 2011

We held a function in New Buffalo on Oct 29th. We were looking for an affordable and flexible location to suggest to our guests to stay. (Since the Casino openned prices have at more than doubled in hotels we use to use). the hotel manager really came through for us! He kept adding rooms as the size of our group increased. They took care of us and our guests. We were given access to the meeting room and they fully set it up for us. They proved to be caring and accomodating and lived up to their statement that they wanted us to have a memorable experience.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 27, 2011

This place almost ruined our wedding weekend. We love the New Buffalo area and were excited to have our wedding at a vineyard there, but the high hotel prices in the area had us worried that friends and family might not be able to make the trip (seriously New Buffalo, I love you but you are NOT Napa Valley).

When we checked out O'Brien's NINE MONTHS before our wedding we found the place a bit run down and musty. We chatted with the manager who assured us that they were "updating" and everything would look nicer, and they would be hopefully be updating to city water and would not have that musty smell. We decided to take a chance and booked a large amount of rooms at a discounted rate which required us to put down a 30% deposit. We were assured that no matter how many rooms were booked the deposit would be returned minus our personal room costs. This was outlined in a contract drawn up by the manager.

In the next few months our manager was fired, we dealt with two other managers, then our original contact was rehired. Total chaos. When our friends and family called to reserve rooms they always got different answers.

Fast forward nine months. NOTHING LOOKED DIFFERENT TO ME. I think maybe they painted a few hallways but the hotel still looked way outdated, still smelled musty, and STILL had well water. Very disappointing.

But the worst was yet to come. Apparently the owner of the hotel decided to make an appearance that weekend because of the large group we had there. However, he did not introduce himself to any of us, he lurked in the lobby looking extremely unhappy which was strange and uncomfortable for the staff and for us. When we checked out Sunday we found out that he decided he did not like the discount that we had worked out with his hotel NINE MONTHS prior, fired the manager (again), and refused to give us back the deposit. Refused.

We spent a lot of time talking to the new manager trying to get this worked out. When I called the owner he was so extremely rude, disrespectful, and unprofessional, actually yelling at me on the phone, I was blown away. He said the woman we worked with was NOT a manager (even though her card says "manager") and she had no authority to give us a discount. Apparently nine months was not long enough for him to review the contract and come to us or his manager with any concerns.

After more painful phone calls we got a portion of the deposit back but he refuses to pay it all, which I still cannot believe. We considered going to court but just don't know if it will be worth it. It has seriously been a nightmare.

Aside from our own personal situation I strongly advise you skip this place. The price seems right but the place is super neglected, so not worth it. Just feels old and dirty and the staff tries but there is no organization and everything is chaos. Spend a little more and find a chain nearby, it's worth it. Trust me.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
8  Thank chicagotraveler2311
Reviewed October 12, 2011

DO NOT RESERVE A BLOCK HERE FOR YOUR WEDDING GUESTS! It is a dump! Staples sticking out of hallway carpet injured kids' feet. Pool area disgusting -- even grade schoolers refused to swim there. Rooms hot and dank. Outlet covers pulling off. Despite a phone call assuring us that all rooms had refrigerators, NOT SO! Only the king rooms.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank aaa k
Reviewed September 3, 2011

Omg! Are you serious? We came here for a long weekend and wanted to leave the second we checked in. Check-in was extremely long. The halls of the hotel stank like as#! AND IT WAS VERY HOT IN HALLS! The room when we walked in smelled like a dirty toilet and was hotter than hell. The water smelled like disgusting old eggs! I could not and will not shower in this water! I would rather go three weeks with out a shower than to walk around smelling like rotten eggs! The tv didn't work and forget about the bed! Bugs crawling everywhere and it was just simply discussing. No other words to discribe this hotel! Don't stay here unless you want a horrible experience!

• Stayed: September 2011
6  Thank nictern
Reviewed July 17, 2011

My best friend and I decided to take a girl's weekend trip to New Buffalo, Michigan for some sun, antiques, and good food. We booked two nights at the O'Brien Inn & Resort, before I got around to reading all of these reviews. It was the cheapest hotel in the area that we could find. We weren't quite sure what to expect after reading all of the awful comments people wrote..

It turned out to be a great place to stay! It was right off the highway, and the staff was very helpful when we arrived. The hotel room was clean and it was quiet the whole time that we were there. There was also a nice courtyard to sit and relax at outside, and the complimentary breakfast every morning was really good!

The shower head was a little short, but it really was not a big deal. Dip your head back a little bit and your hair is clean. The only downside to the hotel was the smell of the shower water. It smelled a little like camp water, but again, we really didn't mind.

So if you're someone who pretty much just needs a place to shower and sleep because you're on vacation and probably won't spend much time in your hotel room, this is the place to go. We will definitely be coming back! Hope this helps!

Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank skibabe18
Reviewed May 15, 2011

Stayed for 2 nights, the reason for 2 nights was that I was unable to go elsewhere. The staff was overworked. The front desk employee was unable to keep up with the checking in, helping others get rooms changed around due to the smell of smoke in a non-smoked rooms and the sight of mice running underneath doors. The rooms were in need of updating. I haven't been in a hotel with that type of interior in room and bathroom since i went to Disney World when I was 15. The faucets were stained as was the toilet. The pool seemed to be in decent shape however we were unable to use it. There is a Wendy's restaurant across the parking lot , McDonalds less than 1/2 mile next to a Comfort Inn which may be a good choice besides this Hotel.

• Stayed: May 2011
The Blue Heron Inn
The Blue Heron Inn
#6 of 7 in LaPorte
Baymont Inn & Suites Michigan City

Been to Days Inn & Suites New Buffalo? Share your experiences!