“Late Diiner On Vacation”

The Stray Dog Bar & Grill
Ranked #1 of 47 Restaurants in New Buffalo
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Ate here while on vacation the week after Labor Day. It was 9pm so no wait. Decor was fun, service was good - they answered all of our questions about ingredients (dairy sensitivity) promptly, were spot on with refills, etc. We ordered a burger, reuben, sliders and guacamole BLT's. All were very good. Will eat here again, but watch your timing as there can be a wait. This was our first time here so we can't compare to the past. We avoided it in the past because we thought it more was "more bar, less grill" but that is not the case at all. Very family friendly.

1  Thank dave c
There are newer reviews for The Stray Dog Bar & Grill

Reviewed September 9, 2013

When we first found the Stray Dog a few years ago, we thought it was fun, great service, excellent beer selection and good food. Last year we were disappointed when we found ourselves in New Buffalo, only to learn they had a fire, but were rebuilding. So we were excited to try it again when we passing by on I-94 on Labor Day. While they still have a very good beer selection, the crowded conditions, almost non-existent parking, lackluster service and so-so food left me feeling sad that we had detoured. One of our favorite appetizers was their shrimp cocktail. It comes in pint beer glass that has layers of lettuce, guacamole, shrimp and cocktail sauce. You invert it over a plate and it comes out in a nice little pile that you can share. This time though, it was oddly bland. The shimp was cooked ok (not over cooked) but lacked taste, like they had been frozen a bit too long, and the guacamole similarly lacked flavor. We thought some chips and salsa would help, but no. The salsa could have been much better - missing heat and freshness. Chips - eh - don't waste your time. I will probably go back to Stray Dog if I find myself in New Buffalo, but if I have to wait 30 -45 minutes again, I'll probably find some place else. Not really worth the wait..

Reviewed September 8, 2013

We arrived for an early dinner around 5:30 and they told us we were likely we did because it would be a 2 hour wait normally (and this was on a Thursday). Food was good, but nothing spectacular or worthy of a 2 hour wait. When we left the front waiting area was packed. Not sure if I would return.

1  Thank dibs4life
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Well, we traveled to New Buffalo from Chicago. One day trip...perfect weather, lots of folks visiting the area which made this place SUPER busy but our kids reallllly wanted to eat so we had to stop in.

First, waiting time was not bad; expected 30 min it was more like 15. Great!
Kids were hungry so we ordered appetizers; just salsa and chips. Hmmm, not impressed; salsa had almost no flavor and chips were kind of hard. But...we ordered more food so not a big deal.

Our orders: burger, hot dog, 3 mini sliders, and finish tacos. Bit of a wait for the food to arrive but again, maybe we were just very hungry. :)

Kids enjoyed the food, same for my husband. My fish tacos were so so...I'm not a picky eater believe me. Anyway, portion size for the tacos is good - the 3 tacos would be plenty to get me full.
Well, after eating 2 and starting on the 3rd one I noticed something in my taco: a big piece of black hair. :/
So, after that I was done. I mentioned it to the waitress who very quickly called a manager. Manager apologized. At this point there was nothing anyone can do...I had 2 tacos already...lol :/

Anyway, bill arrived only for our other items; my tacos were free and that made me feel better. Again, I like the setting of this restaurant. It has a cool decor, sitting but I give the food like a 5 out of 10. Nothing special but not bad.

Best part about this place: interesting decor, close to the beach, outside seats, newly renovated.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

We arrived shortly after noon, were asked if we wanted inside or out, we chose inside and were seated immediately. They had plenty of open tables inside. Our server came over immediately, was pleasant and brought our drinks quickly. I was happy that they were able to accomodate my request for plain fish taco's. What I didn't like was the fact that our server didn't come back to our table once while we were eating. (I really would have liked to have my drink refilled). We finished eating and had to wait at least 10 minutes for her to come over to our table.