All reviewsbreakfast in bedbreakfast basketpicnic basketbreakfast deliveredlake michiganfire pitben and jerry's ice creamterrace roomwithin walking distancesmall hoteloff seasonprairie styleharbor view kingget awayfrank lloyd wrightfree dvdsoutdoor seating
Reviewed September 15, 2017

Loved that the room had such a cozy feel. beautiful view of the marina and the beach... restaurant - though slow for service - had beautiful seating outside.

Shopping was lovely and walkable.. and train to chicago right outside the door!

• Stayed: August 2017, traveled on business
Inga S, Guest Relations Manager at The Harbor Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2017

Hello Amy. Thank you for sharing your experience. We look forward to seeing you on your next cozy getaway! Inga

Reviewed September 13, 2017

We stayed for 2 nights, our room was lovely and I believe all rooms have a balcony which was nice. Sitting out and looking at all the boats was a great way to start the day. It was a birthday weekend and they sent up a bottle of bubbly with a happy birthday card which was beyond nice. We ate Friday night at the restaurant and although the main dish wasn't the best ever it was ok, the dessert was great though. I would recommend to friends and family and I would stay again.

• Stayed: August 2017, traveled with friends
Inga S, Guest Relations Manager at The Harbor Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2017

Hello Nicole. I am so glad to hear your birthday weekend getaway was a lovely one! We look forward to seeing you next time! Inga

Reviewed August 27, 2017

We stayed at The Harbor Grand based on a recommendation from friends. It was GREAT! The room was large and clean. The bed was firm so we slept great! The staff were all friendly and helpful.

The little extras, Ben & Jerry's ice cream around the clock, a long list of free DVDs to borrow, complimentary breakfast in your room, these are relatively simple things that make a difference in a stay. We also enjoyed sitting out on the outdoor deck next to the indoor pool area.

The close proximity to New Buffalo boutiques and restaurants is an added benefit of the hotel.

My only negative comment is that the common areas could use some updating. The carpet in the hallways was rather worn.

Definitely would recommend you stay at The Harbor Grand.

• Stayed: August 2017, traveled as a couple

Hello Wendy. Thank you for taking your time and for sharing your experience with us. Glad to hear you enjoyed our little extras. We look forward to seeing you next time! Inga

Reviewed August 14, 2017

Came for business meetings. While the lobby and hallways feel worn and dated, I found the room to be more than adequate- clean, quiet, and spacious. I appreciated the suite layout with door between bedroom and sitting room- it allows for quiet at night.

The reason for 'only' 4-star rating is that the A/C unit in the room woke me up abruptly each time it kicked on or kicked off. I say "kicked" quite intentionally- the unit was completely inappropriate for a high-grade hotel.

The meeting space was very, very nice, and the restaurant, bar, restaurant, and outdoor seating areas were conducive to good conversation. While there is not really a good view of Lake Michigan, it still felt like a resort location, and beach and other good restaurants were only a few minutes' walk. I wish I would have had time to take advantage of the free bike rental provided by the hotel!

Room Tip: Would suggest a water view room- parking lot view is dull.
  • Stayed: August 2017, traveled on business

Hello. Thank you so much for your feedback. I am so glad to hear you enjoyed our meeting space and our restaurant. We hope to see you again! Inga

Reviewed August 8, 2017

PROS: 1)The grounds are beautiful. 2) There's a really nice path to walk along the harbor, and 3) though the beach isn't right there on location, it's a very short and pretty walk to get there. It's a nice beach-- bring your own chairs. 4) The bathroom looks newly renovated with a beautiful shower and a whirlpool tub for one. (Water pressure okay, but not great.) 5) Off their indoor pool there's a nice outdoor terrace with comfy lounge chairs. This terrace has a view of the harbor. 6) All of the people who worked at the hotel were very nice: front desk, people at the on-site restaurant, and the hotel manager. 7) You can borrow DVDs to watch in your room. Ask them to clean the disc first. Ours must have been smudged because several times it stopped and started again. CONS: With the price of $390 for a room with king bed and view of harbor, (and gas fireplace) we expected more. 1) Half the harbor view was of a willow tree, and you couldn't see harbor when sitting in bed, just the tree; a disappointment. They should have arranged room differently so you could see harbor from the bed. We also couldn't see the harbor from the comfy chair in the corner.The harbor isn't huge and the view includes condos across from the harbor. 2) No balcony. There's a balcony door that opens to the outside onto a railing. 3) We had to change rooms because our first night's room didn't have a screen on this door and the guests before us must have had the door open, because the room had mosquitoes and I was bitten by the next morning.(I killed 6 mosquitoes.) Management knew of the missing screen, so I'm surprised they would have a guest stay there before it was fixed. We got moved to a different room in the same category the next day, but this was aggravation we didn't need. They gave us a free night to compensate which we were grateful for. 4) For such a hefty price tag of almost $400 a night we expected the room to be taken care of better--actually, both the one we stayed in the first night and the one we moved to. In both rooms, outside the balcony-like door was dirt and spider webs. You could see bugs that were caught in the webs. These should have been wiped clean regularly. The pillow cases had that wrinkly straight-out-of-the-dryer look, they weren't freshly pressed like at a better hotel. The bedskirt layed unevenly. 5) There was a low hanging lamp we kept bumping our heads on. It was above a round "cafe" table that was too tall, hard to eat or read on comfortably. 6) The big magnifying mirror in bathroom was loose and drooped down, so I couldn't use it. (When we left I told them it needed to be fixed. 7) There wasn't a place to hang a towel by the bathroom sink. This was awkward and irritating. 8) There weren't extra outlets to accommodate charging your devices. There was one extra outlet behind the round "cafe" table, but to get to it you'd bump your head on the lamp hanging above the table. 9) The town isn't the greatest. Kind of sleepy, though there were some nice restaurants and a gift shop here and there. There's a train that runs directly in front of the hotel and you can hear it, but it wasn't too bothersome to us (train wasn't a deal-breaker). If you don't mind not having a balcony and you don't mind a room with the problems I mentioned, then the beautiful grounds on the harbor side may make up for these disappointments. But you may want to consider if such a room is worth $390 a night along with a lodging fee from the state of MI (we pd $50) with the other state tax.

Room Tip: Rm 311 no screen unless fixed. 2nd flr rm above restrnt you hear dinner "chatter" when your outside door is open & get whiffs of food.
  • Stayed: August 2017, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Whisterwink

Hello. Thank you taking your time and providing us with such a detailed feedback. I am sorry to hear your stay with us was disappointing. I am happy to hear you enjoyed the grounds and the area. Please do not hesitate to contact me at ingas@harborgrand.com when planning your next visit to the area. I hope we will see you again. Inga