“Then you realize, ' wow, I can actually relax here!'”
Review of The Harbor Grand

The Harbor Grand
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in New Buffalo
Reviewed May 3, 2014

First impressions, pretty dang clean, quiet, yet right in town. On a side note to quiet, we were there in the off season, which beware, not everything along 12 and red arrow highway may be open. But ahh! The hotel. So very nice. We had a room opposite the ones with harbor view. Oops did I say nice? I think I did. And the Amtrak train passing through in the rainy night, though quite tooty added to the romance of the whole dang thing. Made me think of things like Humphrey Bogarde or Bogart.... I can't remember. Anywhooo, great coffee at any time you want. Friendly staff! I did not run into one person who seemed annoyed or bored when bothered by me. These people either love their jobs or I just smell like a beach ball... They love there jobs.
Our room looked and smelled clean. Loved the shower and clean bathroom. The bedroom was pretty comfy and allowed me to remember what sleeping in was like before kids, ( by sleeping in, I mean 9 in the a.m.).
Now I love hotels with pools. You got a pool, I'm gonna be in it. Will say this, their thermostat in said room might have been still set for our last incredible winter, because dam! We are talking Texas hot. However, refuge is found in the pool itself which must had been around 80 degrees or so which naturally feels comfortably cool to the skin. But enough about science! The experience brought me back to my childhood in Texas, blazing hot air and cool water. Still a nice area, towels too dry off are at your disposal adjacent to the pool. Also has a nice hot tub and whole area was clean with a nice deck off the pool room overlooking the harbor for the warmer months.
My wife as well enjoyed our stay at this hotel, even with me there. We enjoyed just about everything right down to the breakfast in a basket they take to your door in the morning. We will readily look for, what sometimes might appear as, made up excuses too visit The Harbor Grand again. Thanks, The Harbor Grand, for a nice time. Oops did I say nice again?
Yep

3  Thank Edc R

Reviewed May 3, 2014

Stayed here on our civil union honeymoon and was very pleased at the quiet and quaint location.
The rooms are beautiful and the staff was very helpful. Loved the balcony and fireplace that we had in our room.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ken H
Reviewed May 1, 2014

We just got back from a two stay at the Harbor Grand and was extremely satisfied with our stay in every aspect. The location can not be beat you are close to the beach and downtown. We stayed in a king room on the third floor with a harbor view. Loved the fireplace and the sliding door (no balcony). The bathroom was big and the whirlpool tub great. The lighting was a little dim but there was a magnifying mirror. Big plus was the breakfast delivered outside your door at the you choose in a picnic basket. Stay were very helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: Third floor harbor side
2  Thank debkay27
Reviewed April 21, 2014

My wife and I made our second trip to this town and wanted to stay in town, not out on the highway. We found this place and loved it! The room had a great view of the harbor, we had a fireplace and the Jacuzzi was very relaxing. There was even a walk-in shower with a glass door.

Breakfast in bed was ordered on a card the night before and delivered to our door the next morning with blueberry muffin bread, yogurt, fresh fruit, orange juice, coffee and tea, and hot chocolate.

The pool was clean and usually empty and the deck off the pool area, overlooking the harbor was a great place to sit and read for a while. This hotel is centrally located in New Buffalo, and everything in town is a short walk.

The staff were attentive and professional, and we loved the 24/7 Ben and Jerry's ice cream. They also have a large DVD collection with a list that are complimentary to check out. The best part was the nightly s'mores at the firepit on the back patio with complimentary s'mores kits (graham crackers, marshmallows, and Hershey bar)!

We would stay here again or recommend it to anyone who is staying in New Buffalo.

Room Tip: The harbor-view rooms are more expensive, but are more relaxing. It's nice to wake up with the h...
Reviewed April 12, 2014

What to give my mother who has everything? What to give the person who has taken me to France, England, the Greek Isles, Croatia, Turkey, and Italy? How about a trip to New Buffalo Michigan? I know, it sounds silly but it fit a couple of needs. It was close-ish to home for a quick weekend trip, has a near by casino that has a shuttle from New Buffalo, outlet shopping a twenty minute drive away in Michigan City. So away we went to New Buffalo!

I have to say The Harbor Grand is a very pretty hotel. It is styled in Arts and Crafts which is my favorite. Mr. Wright would be semi-proud. Check in was easy and the desk clerks are very nice and helpful. We entered our suite to drop off our luggage and went off to explore. Our first stop was the pool area. OMG!!!! The heat, humidity, and did I say HEAT smacked us right in the face. The area was sooooo unbearable we quickly retreated. Scratch that off the list, no swimming for us. I really do not understand keeping that area so hot that it was unusable, it was worse than being in a sauna.

We decided to go an early dinner instead and then hang out in the room that evening as our next day was pretty full. ( we had planned on using the pool but that just was not possible ) I volunteered to sleep on the pull out sofa that night. OMG again!!! This was the shortest and the most uncomfortable bed I have ever slept in! Cheap, flat mattress that was several inches too short. I am 5'8" and my feet, ankles, and part of my leg hung off this "bed". Needless to say I did not sleep well which translated into a sleepy body with aches and pains in my back. Oh Joy! Beware of this " sleeper" sofa bed, beware.

Another downside is the lighting in the rooms, or I guess I should say lack of lighting. We called it the dim room, and it is. The bathroom lighting is awful, we ended up getting ready by doing our makeup in front of our windows by compact mirrors. There are plenty of light fixures so it must be the bulbs.

There are some great things about this property though. The 24 hour coffee/tea in the lobby is great. That was some good coffee! The employees are professional and helpful. The hotel is tasteful and pretty. The breakfast in bed was a nice touch. The casino shuttle picks up and drops off there.

Would I stay again if I was ever in New Buffalo again? Probably not. The pool area and the sofa bed issues would stop me. That was the main reason we booked there..to have a suite with two sleeping areas and a pool to enjoy for some downtime that first evening.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank IndyDenise
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Our 4th time staying here, 1 1/2 hrs from Chicago. We've love the warm pool,Terrace rest, s'mores, DVD ,cont breakfast ,nice location. Great for a fast, low key getaway .this weekend we went for a tour of Journeyman Distillery, wine/beer seminar at Marina Grand,s'more at fire pit,swam, used treadmill,watched movies that we brought with,,sat by the fireplace in the Terrace rest.,had our free wine tasting at St. Julian winery, walked to the beach,ate at Stray Dog,and this is when it was 30degrees out. We love it even more in the summer.
Pros-heated pool,rooms, view ,area,small boutique hotel,wineries, casino,new buffalo beach,bikes, nearby rest.,family oriented town,sister hotel,front desk personnel
Cons-same breakfast menu for 4yrs,need to freshen up hotel entrance and general maintenance of the property ie. woodwork,landscaping,need a fan in exercise room, hotel is showing it's age.

Room Tip: If you get a village view , you will hear the amtrak, day and nite.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank joanlund
Reviewed February 27, 2014

Special thanks to Inga at the Harbor Grand. She was so helpful in assisting us during our stay at this beautiful waterfront hotel. Loved the room with a fireplace and jetted tub. Looking forward to another visit this summer!

Room Tip: Loved the third floor. Great view with fireplace and jetted tub.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#7 of 8 in New Buffalo
Holiday Inn Express St. Joseph

Been to The Harbor Grand? Share your experiences!