All reviewssmall patioquiet hotelstayed nightsforestvariationboiswififrenchloungersbeachesislandtownnoirmoutiertoiletsterracefrance
Reviewed September 20, 2016 via mobile

We stayed one night in a deluxe room at this hotel. The 1st floor room (29) had the largest balcony and was very quiet. Rather like the Ronseal advert this hotel 'does what it says on the tin'.

We could quibble about things in the room not being quite right like the pedal bin not opening, the shaving mirror light not working, the patio doors not locking and handles coming loose, the bath mat being frayed or the bed sheets having black stain marks although clearly ironed and clean (probably the pressing machine). But our expectations were not that high and actually the hotel generally delivered.

A great location close to the beach, a bath and shower which worked and a decent night's sleep.

Which goes to show that if you come with the right expectations you will not be disappointed!

Stayed: September 2016, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 2, 2016 via mobile

We stopped off here for a night with our greyhound. The hotel was accommodating enough but felt a little tired. I'm not sure I'd have wanted to stay for more than a night or two. Location is great, just round the corner from the beach and a shortish walk into town. We didn't try the restaurant for dinner but it has good reviews. Breakfast was the biggest letdown though and very expensive.

Stayed: July 2016, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 2, 2016

My wife and I visited with my sister and brother in law from New Zealand, for one night on the last Saturday of May 2016. The weather was excellent and temperatures in the mid twenties. In spite of the alleged fuel shortages (French strikes) the island was very crowded with visitors, mainly French but also English, Belgian and Dutch. The Hotel was very well located, being only about three hundred metres from the very attractive and popular Plages des Dames (Beach of the Ladies). Parking was at a premium for the beach so the Hotel parking was very convenient. We had two cars and two rooms. The Hotel is surrounded by a large and pleasant pine wood. The buildings were low rise, mainly single story. The rooms were situated around the perimeter of the spacious grounds, and rooms had patios with two loungers and two chairs, looking onto the central compound which was carpeted with Astroturf. Ours caught the early evening sun which is often the best.
The beds were larger than king size, and the room equipped with a safe, a small fridge / minibar, free Wifi (coded), TV, coffee making facilities and decent bathroom. and separate toilet. I didn't have time to wait for the 15 Euro breakfast starting at 8 am on Sunday because I was off on a boat to go Scuba Diving before 8 am..
We dined at the Michelin graded Restaurant (Bottin Gourmand), where service was good. We chose to share a bottle of Muscadet, one of the local wines from neighbouring Clisson. As expected it was excellent.
I made a good choice on a sea fishing Island in the Bay of Biscay, Poisson de Marché, aka Catch of the Day, which in this case was Dorade Royale, or Gilt Head Bream. It was beautifully cooked and presented, very fresh and full of flavour. My wife, sister and brother in law chose what should have been good at a Michelin restaurant, but in fact they were disappointed. They chose Queue de Lotte, Monk Fish tail, normally excellent here in the Vendée. Sadly all three were disappointed. It was overcooked dry and tasteless. Unlike my catch of the day, the Lotte was on the Carte every day, and might be kept in stock. The Souflées my wife and sister had were excellent, and I enjoyed a nice selection of cheeses local to the Loire-Atlantique. My wife who is a good judge of food and accommodation would stay here again, but not dine. Their are many excellent alternatives. The rooms with their location, at 152 Euros each per night were good value, and I know from my Poisson de Marché and my wife's soufflée that they are capable of better than the Queue de Lotte that they served. I would personally give the Restaurant another chance, but my sister and brother in law are unlikely to be back. They regularly travel the world and expect to dine well.

Room Tip: We took what we got, fine.
  • Stayed: May 2016, traveled with family
Reviewed August 6, 2015

After reading many reviews, not all favourable, I booked a room at Les Prateaux quite late in the year and was only able to have the Half Board tariff. This slightly annoyed me as I don't usually have anything but B&B or room only but given the location (right where I wanted it to be) I accepted it - am I glad I did! The food is superb - creatively crafted and beautifully presented and considering the captive audience the wine is on par for a hotel of this standard. Some criticism has been made in reviews of the cost of the breakfast however I've paid more for far less and it was perfectly adequate. I asked for a couple of variations in the menu which were met with no hint of disapproval. The room was a Deluxe upper floor with a small balcony but with acres of space inside. It was clean and had masses of storage and the TV worked well the one time we put it on. The provision of a fridge and a coffee maker was useful (although we used a travel kettle to make tea properly!!) and the 'his and hers' sinks were a bonus. Comment has also been made of shower heads that slide down the riser and that was the case for us however that is not unusual so I carry an elastic band in my wash bag - two turns round the riser below the head and it's fine! The WiFi is a bit variable but it stayed connected while I was using it (which was quite a bit) it just didn't reconnect automatically as you passed from one zone to the next or came back from being out - that, too, is usual for hotels. I didn't find it slow though. There is no aircon but we slept with the windows and doors open and, contrary to my expectations of a hotel in a pine forest, we neither saw nor heard a mosquito...anywhere. I agree that the hotel looks a bit in need of decoration as you approach the entrance but elsewhere it's fine. The staff were delightful, helpful and couldn't do enough for us. If I had to criticise one thing it would be that the hotel is not, as you are told, 50m from one beach (right out of the gate) and 100m from the other (left). 150m and 250m respectively would be more accurate! That said, the location is unbeatable and the car had a five day break. Would I go back again? I already plan to which is something I very rarely do.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms are better located (27 is a good one!)
  • Stayed: July 2015, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 17, 2015

We arrived here in the afternoon after a long drive the man on the desk showed us to our room which was one of three with balconies overlooking the garden, the wardrobe door was broken the bathroom shower head holder was broken a very small bathroom there is no air conditioning so the room gets very stuffy. If you want to order bike's go down to the town as they will fit you properly. Evening meal was alright but I asked for a different sauce which was not really appreciated and the breakfast we felt rushed . Would I stay here again no for €50 more you can stay in far nicer places than this.the wifi is very slow and intermittent

• Stayed: June 2015, traveled as a couple