“Absolute Heaven!”
Review of Cuq en Terrasses

Cuq en Terrasses
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cuq Toulza
Reviewed September 28, 2009

I had no idea what a delight we were in for when we arrived at Cuq en Terrasses but I quickly realized that we had stumbled upon a sanctuary of peace, laid-back luxury, delicious healthy food & beautiful nature. There is a wonderful happy, friendly energy here and you instantly feel like great friends with Andonis & Phillippe (who run the hotel, cook the food & provide the nightly entertainment in the form of piano & song which is so charming & fun) as well as everyone else you meet - everyone is so happy to be there it is impossible not to just love everything & everyone around you. I have to confess, I am like the princess & the pea when it comes to hotels - if the slightest thing is not right, I am totally uncomfortable & can't sleep at all. After 3 sleepness nights in Paris, I finally slept like a rock at Cuq en Terasses! I could have slept in for hours but when I peeked out the window, I was too excited to go explore the beauty of the gardens & nearby quaint country town to get back in bed! I can't wait to go back. I literally dream about it all the time. Andonis' cooking is amazing - his ingredients are mostly locally grown/produced and so fresh - and each meal is a delicious multi-course masterpiece complete with delicious cheese plate and wonderful wine. Oh, I miss it there!! Also, we were blown away by what a great value it was for the room as well as for meals. Absolutely the perfect vacation spot.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ekg224
There are newer reviews for Cuq en Terrasses

Reviewed September 5, 2009

All the ingredients of relaxation in profusion. Adonis and Philippe make it so special. Of all the great features, the terraced gardens were perhaps the most lovely.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 14, 2009

We came to stay here for 4 nights in June and had a wonderful time. The situation is good, close to lots of interesting places to visit. Philippe and Andonis will give you lots of ideas if you do not know the area. We came here after staying at Le Manoir du Raynaudes (see review) and we enjoyed here much more, the food is wonderful, it is a set menu, but we loved everything we had. It also has a good wine list. We stayed in the suite by the pool which gives you extra privacy, with 2 outside seating areas, a comfy king size bed with a small shower room of and a bigger old fashioned bathroom downstairs. We did not see the rooms in the main house.
All the other guests seemed to be return visitors and it is easy to see why, Philippe and Andonis are wonderful hosts and make you feel like friends by the time you leave. We will certainly stay again and it is not too far from the airport for the trip home.
I would book to dine in each evening as it does not have any restaurants close by.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 29, 2009

Our trip to Cuq en Terrasses was beyond excellent, if only tripadvisor.com has that option to choose then I would. It's our third trip to Cuq in May 09, and that sums up everything. If you are looking for a quiet trip, it's here. If you are looking for adventure, it's here. If you are the culture-typed, it's also here. If you are looking for GREAT GREAT FOOD and WINES, it's DEFINITELY here. And the hosts, Philippe and Andonis, they would never let you down cos they are the best. I could write an essay about my pleasure at Cuq en Terrasses so I better stop. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank toongywoongy
Reviewed December 2, 2008

We absolutely adored our stay at Cuq en Terrasses. The inn is located on the top of a hill in a tiny , quaint village. From your windows you look out over the rural countryside. The gardens are just lovely with lots of hidden seating areas and the pool a perfect place to cool down in the afternoon.

Our room was the suite by the pool, which worked well for our family of three. It was roomy, two levels, two little patios and a private entrance. It was quite old and full of character. It was tastefully and simply decorated. We had two bathrooms, one tiny modern one upstairs and a more traditional roomy one with a tub downstairs. The bath products were local and very nice.

Despite our lovely lodgings, the highlight of our stay was the amazing dinner on the terrace each night. We had just come from an inn with a one star restaurant in the Dordogne so we were really spoiled on good food. Well, I can honestly say I enjoyed eating at Cuq en Terrasses just as much as the one star restaurant. The food was not as ornate or fussy, but every bit as delicious. Much of it was grown in the garden and all was locally sourced.

Each night the meal started with a little appetizer, then there was a first course, main course, dessert and then cheese if you could manage it. What was so lovely was to be able to ask the chef/host, Andonis, how something was prepared, so I could try to duplicate some of the dishes at home. The wine list was mostly local too.

It was great getting recommedations from the gracious hosts, Phillipe and Andonis, about wineries, the best farmers markets, nice towns, etc. An added bonus for our ten year old son were the neighborhood dogs who visited us daily.

All in all a fabulous experience for my entire family.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed November 3, 2008

Our stay was for three nights until 2 November, when the hotel closed for the winter. The weather was rather like the UK, so we could not enjoy the gardens (or pool!), but our room was warm and comfortable. We loved the massive exposed beams just above our bed which bore the marks of the carpenter's adze, and the views from the tiny windows.

We met a Swiss couple and another from Hawaii, and both had stayed before. The place is addictive, in a large part due to the hosts, Phillipe and Adonis. I have seldom felt so at home in an hotel and completely at ease. In the sitting room, there was a large library with English books, classical music, and DVDs, plus a wealth of well-researched information about walks and places to visit.

All our dinners were memorable for the right reasons. But be warned, the portions are huge by French standards. The carefully chosen wine list certainly did justice to the food, and the prices were very reasonable too. I asked the chef, Adonis, what he intended to do during the five months the hotel was closed. He said he had booked training courses, as he still had a lot to learn!

Both Phillipe and Adonis deserve the success they have made of their business (though I hesitate to use this word), and I'm sure it will go from strength to strength as they are never complacent, and always looking for ways to improve.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed October 29, 2008

Stayed here on a long rugby watching weekend. Sadly Bath undeservedly lost to Toulouse. Earlier reviews have said it all - a special place to stay. Perfect hosts that combine friendliness and professionalism. Great food. Quality furnishings and a beautiful house. Lovely garden and pool.

Thoroughly recommended as a base for touring this part of France. One word of caution. This is a rural spot with little dining/drinking options in the area. You therefore should plan to dine at the hotel every night but believe me this is no hardship and great value for money.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cuq Toulza
#1 of 6 in Castelnaudary
Hotel Renaissance
Hotel Renaissance
#4 of 11 in Castres

Been to Cuq en Terrasses? Share your experiences!