“Down to earth French restaurant”
Review of L'Ecluse

L'Ecluse
Cuisines: French, Mediterranean, Gastropub
Good for: Large groups, Scenic view, Bar scene, Families with children, Romantic, Kids, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Wellingborough, United Kingdom
“Down to earth French restaurant”
Reviewed August 15, 2012 via mobile

We visited L'Ecluse on a Sunday evening - it's always good in France to find somewhere that opens on a Sunday! The restaurant which is situated on the banks of the Canal du Midi was buzzing with local people creating a lovely atmosphere. The menu was filled with local delicacies and the portions were substantial. The food was very tasty, as was the local wine, which was very reasonably priced for a carafe. Service was good throughout despite the restaurant being busy. This is a no frills French restaurant with good honest French food, definitely worth a visit.

“Honest French food with luscious location”
Reviewed August 13, 2012 via mobile

You can tell this restaurant has a chef, not a cook. The dishes are well thought through, simple and delicious and fairly priced for such fresh produce. I had Dou foie gras as an entree which was exquisitely done and St Jacques for the main course that was perfectly cooked and sublime. House rose delicious too! However, service was slow, the poor head waiter/owner really was the only one dealing with the customers. There were two other serving staff but that's all they were. My wife asked one of the serving staff for her legumes side dish which still never arrived. If l'Ecluse had two servers like the main man then the service would have got a six - this place has pedigree, go try 100% it was one of my best meals in France.

Sydney, Australia
“Great food and value!”
Reviewed July 6, 2012

On our way to Sete, My husband and I stopped for lunch yesterday at l Ecluse restaurant on the canal du midi. This relaxed terrace restaurant was a great find. We had a delicious meal of 3 courses for around 17 euros. The food was fresh, tasty and well prepared. The service was promt, efficient and friendly. My husband ordered the nougat glade for dessert ( his usual choice!)and he commented that it was the best he ever had!

• Visited July 2012
Arlington, Virginia
“I will return - highly recommended”
Reviewed March 27, 2012

My sisters and I wanted to have a good French meal (we are French but I live in the U.S.) near where my older sister lives. Thanks to the great reviews of l'Ecluse, we tried a place I'll return to everytime I visit her. From the first moment we stepped in and were welcomed to the wine, food and ambiance, we enjoyed a good real French meal. For less than 18 euros/person, we had a starter course (entree), an entree (main dish) and a dessert. Everything tasted great. It's not fancy but I'd rather have that kind of food than the one we had the night before where we spend 3 times as much and didn't enjoy the food as much.

• Visited March 2012
Hale, United Kingdom
“Wonderfull setting”
Reviewed November 14, 2011

Good kids menu, I had a great magret de canard with a lovely onion butter sauce however we ate on a beautiful warm summers evening on the terrace overlooking the canal and it was a fantastic setting.

• Visited August 2011