“Very friendly”

Hostellerie Le Castellas
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Collias
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We had a very nice stay here. We didn't try the restaurant but the bar tender was very friendly. The host when we checked in was excellent and walked us over to show us the parking which was super nice instead of just pointing. We had three rooms total and all were very different but nice. One was a little damp feeling but once we got the AC working it felt better. We enjoyed the location in a smaller town.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Hostellerie Le Castellas

Reviewed September 13, 2012

We stayed two nights as a part of a walking holiday with Inntravel . The room we were given was at the top of separate house at the back Very spacious and comfortable and with a nice bathroom and a big bath although somewhat bizarre plumbing which clanked. The shower attachment was impossible to control without flooding the floor . the highspot was the dinner served outside on the astroturfed terrace, This had numerous courses with a pre -starter and a pre-dessert which seemed a little OTT I actually found eating wmy way through all of this a second night a little difficult. Lovely breakfasts are served in fine weather in the same outside space .The service was both professional and charming.
There is a small but lovely pool with a jacuzzi. a verticle garden and a tiny sitting area with just 5 Designer sunbeds some shaded by an olive tree. I fear these are designed more to look good than for comfort and were not good for lingering on with a book.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Indiophile
Reviewed July 12, 2012

We live in Nice, but needed to be near Nimes for a concert. Everything in Nimes was booked, so we stayed in Collias (30-35 minute drive even though reception said it was 20 minutes) Hostellerie Le Castellas was a wonderful place. The service was friendly, helpful - they even walked around the block with us to make sure we could find the private parking lot (very easy and secure parking). There are three restored buildings-we stayed in one that was separate from reception. Very quaint, my room was a little dark because it overlooked a courtyard that didn't get much sun. The AC worked brilliantly, which was very welcome since my house in Nice doesn't have it! There is a very artsy yet Provençal feel to the place-around every corner is a piece of interesting art, or an interesting chandelier. The terrace for breakfast was beautiful! The town itself is beautiful, and it is very close (7km) to Pont du Gard, the Roman bridge/aqueduct that is about 2000 years old. There is a beautiful river within walking distance to the hotel, where you can spend the afternoon swimming, kayaking, etc. I would definitely recommend this hotel!

Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank TexasKerry
Reviewed June 22, 2012

We stayed here for three nights in a superior room for our friends' wedding (which also took place in the hotel). The staff were all very friendly and welcoming and the hotel and the room were smart and looked nice. The room was spacious with a large bed, large TV and a very large bathroom, including a roll-top bath which made my wife happy.

The grounds of the hotel include a garden with tables where you can eat/drink outside, and a small swimming pool with a handful of stylish sun loungers. The pool is very refreshing on a hot summer's day and also has a "jacuzzi" mode with bubble jets.

We only had one dinner in the hotel and that was the wedding dinner, so I can't really judge what a standard meal would have been like, although I noticed that what we ate was very similar to one of the (more expensive) menus. I can say that the food was all delicious and very well presented, and the service was great, particularly the jovial maitre d'hotel.

Breakfast consists of a buffet featuring various breads, cold meats, cheeses, fruits, yoghurt and cereal. You can also order eggs (after 8:45am) and I had a delicious omelette while I was there.

Minor grumbles? The breakfast is expensive for what it is, at around 18 euros per person, although if you order eggs you get more of your money's worth. Also, I needed to iron a shirt before the wedding and this proved impossible. There was no iron in the (superior) room, they were not able to find me an iron that I could borrow, and they had an ironing service (5 euros per item) but it required something like 24 hours advance notice, which I didn't have. I was disappointed that they could not source an iron from somewhere for me. Still, this obviously is not a problem that is likely to happen to you, and in any case it didn't detract much from my stay and doesn't stop me from rating this charming hotel a full 5 stars.

Room Tip: Room 16 on the top floor of the main building (a superior room) has a nice view of the pool, garden...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MikeB1981
Reviewed August 26, 2011

The hotel is located in a typical village.
Some rooms with a very nice view on pool and village.
The welcome is not that warm and food is not worth 2 "macarons" .

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank helenaparis
Reviewed October 28, 2010

We had a good experience at Le Castellas. With larger rooms, I could see it getting a four-star rating.

There are complaints in these reviews about dark rooms, but ours was bright enough. We had a large private terrace, which helped. No view from the terrace, and just a very basic table and chair set, but it was a nice place to sit.

The staff were professional but unfussy. This was the only three-star hotel of our trip where it occurred to someone to carry our luggage.

A word about parking: Collias has really narrow streets with no parking whatsoever--the drill is to drive up to the door of the hotel and make your presence known. They will take your luggage and provide you with a young man who shows you the way to their private, gated parking lot, just around the corner. Your room key opens the gate. Once you learn the drill, it works really well--a lot better than some other Provence hotels I could name.

The two-starred restaurant was outstanding--one of the two best meals of our trip.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 5, 2010

We stayed one night at the Hostellerie on the way to visit some friends in Uzes close by. I had no idea that the restaurant had two Michelin stars at the time we checked in. We had made reservations for dinner, but as we arrived at noon we decided to have lunch as well as we couldn't find anywhere else to eat that looked appealing..
The hotel is charming. It is stuffed into the center of a small village with very few other things going on. There is a small pool but no garden. Parking is available around the corner.
My wife liked the room. I did not. it was very Provencal, dark, next to the restaurant (which meant noise), lots of stone, reasonably large (it was a "superior" room), and it had a walk in shower. The bed was a double, not a king, and there was a gap in the middle. On balance I had no quibble with the room. It ended up being quiet, dark, and 'sleepable." Price 210 euros a night.
However, lunch was disappointing at best. A "menu du marche" was offered with one choice for a main course, "faux fillet". My wife doesn't like beef, and I don't particularly like cheap fatty cuts. She asked for a substitute, and they offered her chicken breast which she said was a "little off." The first course was gazpacho with three grilled shrimp perched on top. Not bad for a regular restaurant, but for a 49 euro menu disappointing. Dessert was fruit something, and okay. They also served a lot of "petit fours", but they were not particularly interesting. Had this restaurant had no stars I would have concluded that the meal was below average. I have eaten much better at "zero" star restaurants for half the price.
And to my amazement the hotel was filled with French.
My conclusion that the restaurant was trying to be something that it was not was confirmed the next morning (I cancelled our dinner meal). Breakfast was very standard, nothing that one would expect in a Michelin star restaurant.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Vesenaz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Collias
Le Vieux Castillon
#2 of 13 in Uzes
Chateau d'Arpaillargues
Chateau d'Arpaillargues
#1 of 1 in Arpaillargues

Been to Hostellerie Le Castellas? Share your experiences!