“A beautiful experience!”

Moulin du Fief Gentil
Ranked #2 of 3 Blere B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Last July, we had the great pleasure to stay at the Moulin du Fief Gentil. We didn’t really know what to expect as it was our first stay in a “Chambre d’hôte”. We were so pleasantly surprised! Blere is a very easy drive from Paris and it is a great location to visit the châteaux. The moulin and its surroundings are very charming and picturesque. The rooms are spacious, spotless, beautifully decorated and very cozy! Our hostess, Florence, did everything she could to please us. She is an amazing chef and a wonderful person. We had such a great time that we cannot wait to come back!

Merci pour tout, Florence!

Virginie, Hector, Colette, Julian and Megane

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Virginie D

Reviewed October 6, 2012

About a week ago we had the good fortune to stay in Blere at the Moulin du Fief Gentil. Madame Fleurance Heurtebise was an excellent hostess. We had a rental car from EuropCar that we had reserved and picked up in Caen, France across from the train station. We picked it up on a late Friday afternoon. We needed to return it on Sunday afternoon in Beaune, Burgogne. When I made the reservation on the computer it wouldn't let me return it in Beaune because it was a Sunday and EuropCar was closed. So when I picked the car up I made a point of telling them I wanted to return it in Beaune on Sunday. I pressed the issue but the EuropCar people said I absolutely had to drive back to Caen to return it which made no sense because Caen is the opposite direction from Beaune and was a waste of our precious time in France. So I had to buy us 3 train tickets from Caen to Beaune which involved changing trains in Paris. It was ridiculous. I was frustrated and mentioned the situation to Fleurance. She said for me to give her our car rental papers and our 3 train tickets. She said she would call them and said it was absurd that we were asked to return the car to the Caen train station. To make a long story short, Fleurance had the whole car rental arrangement fixed for us so that we could return the car in Beaune on a Sunday. She said all we had to do was to drive the car to the Europcar parking lot and lock it up. Then we were to drop the keys off at the adjacent hotel a few meters away, ie. a one minute walk. Apparently this is done there all the time just as it is in the U.S. when you drop off a rental car after hours. Then she gave us the adjacent town's train station address so we could take the train tickets back for a refund because the town in which she lived, Blere, didn't have a "guichet" or ticket counter to do the refund. She gave us very good directions to drive there.

Also when we were leaving she printed us out a very detailed map with directions to drive to Beaune which saved us many possible mistakes.

To top it off, her beds had really firm, excellent mattresses, the linens were wonderful, and our Camelia room for 3 was simply decorated in really appropriate out in the country style. It was such a pleasant room and very large. It was our nicest, largest room and bathroom on the two week trip. Because it is so quiet it makes a wonderful respite from Paris. One can get a really solid sleep there.

Her gardens are lovely, not to mention the old mill with the water still rushing. A very relaxing spot after a day of visiting Chenonceau or any of the neighboring castles.

One more thing, Mme. Heurtebise sets out a very pretty continental breakfast with home made jams of four types and various cheeses, croissants, bread, juice, and the best coffee we had in France! Thank you, Mme. Heurtebise. Nous vous remercions! Ellen S., Ruth S. and John G.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Ellen S
Reviewed October 4, 2012

My wife and I stayed for three nights in the Clementine room and had a wonderful time. The room, B&B and grounds are all lovely, and Florence was very helpful. We had great weather while we were there, so we were able to enjoy the patio and pond in back. The location couldn't be better for touring the various chateaus in the region, especially if you plan to visit Chenonceau first thing in the morning (which I recommend due to the crowds). There is private parking at the B&B, and it’s a short walk to various restaurants in Blere, so we never needed the car in the evenings.

We had made dinner reservations at the B&B for our second night there, and that was one of the highlights of our trip. We dined with Florence and Francois as well as a couple from France and a couple from Great Britain. We felt that 30 euro each was a bargain for dinner and a night’s entertainment, which is what you get as the home cooked meal was fabulous and lasted well over two hours from start (aperitif) to finish (dessert). I highly recommend checking into this during your stay!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WhereAreWe?
Reviewed July 20, 2012

My wife and I recently stayed at Moulin du Fief Gentil and we enjoyed our stay very much. The town of Blere is a great jumping off point to visit the many Chateaus in the region.

Before we arrived we had contacted Florence to let her know we would be arriving earlier than expected. She was very accommodating in staying at the residence so we could check in early and drop our bags off.

The room we stayed in was very clean, spacious (even by north american standards) and comfortable. At each breakfast we found Florence to be very personable and helpful, not only in making recommendations for what attractions and restaurants to visit, but she even helped us for the last leg of our trip!

We had mentioned we needed to drop off our rental at the airport in Tours and find our way to the train station before heading off to Paris. She quickly offered her assistance by calling our rental company to see if we could drop the vehicle off at the train station in nearby Saint Pierre Des Corps, and she made a reservation for two train tickets from that same station. We only needed to pay for and pick up the tickets the next morning after she made all the arrangements. Above and beyond service in our experience and very appreciated.

If we return to the area in the future we wouldnt hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank YEGTravels
Reviewed April 17, 2012

We stayed at Moulin for several days and felt very welcome there. The room was great - firm bed and comfortable bath. We were fortunate to be there on an evening that the hostess cooked a fabulous dinner. We felt like family, rather than guests. The host and hostess are interesting and hospitable people. We would stay here again. Location is superb for touring the Loire castles, and Blere is a charming town with wonderful tourist office, and the Moulin du Fief Gentil is within walking distance of town center.

Room Tip: We had the room "Primevere", which was fine, with two beds and garden access. However, if...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jackie B
Reviewed February 6, 2012

My wife and I recently moved to Paris, and we've started to explore various regions of France. Using Rick Steve's book, we chose to stay and eat at Moulin du Fief Gentil, a bit unsure what to expect, as it sounded 'unique.'

As it turned out, our evening there was both unique and magical, far exceeding our fondest hopes. Frankly, I'm reluctant to outline our evening step-by-step, as I think it best for guests simply to let the experience unfold. I also suspect each evening transpires somewhat uniquely, not least because of the seasons. Suffice it to say, we found the entire evening an experience to remember, and one which we will repeat again and again, both just the two of us for a close-to-Paris romantic getaway as well as sharing with visiting friends and family.

Of the hospitality, we can only rave: the food, the wine and beverages, the setting, and most of all, our hosts' graciousness and our wide-ranging and interesting discussions. Simply marvelous, all of it!

This small B&B in a converted millhouse dating from the 16th century is a real gem, as are the hosts. It's a perfect base from which to explore the chateaux of the Loire and Cher valleys, and then to return to a calm, tranquil setting and enjoy a splendid, one-of-a-kind evening.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jerry W
Reviewed November 19, 2011

My husband and I booked several nights at Moulin du Fief Gentil, in order to tour the Loire Valley. After our first, very rainy day of chateau-hopping, we arrived back at the B&B soaked to the skin, looking forward to a hot shower. The four towels that were rationed (I had to plead with Fleurence for a wash cloth), were soaking wet by the time we hung them up that evening. Next morning, after drying off with our still-wet towels, we left them on the floor of the bathroom to let Fleurence know we needed fresh, dry replacements. Arrived back at the B&B late in the afternoon, only to find that the same wet towels we had left on the floor, had been re-hung in the bathroom - and were still soaking wet. When we complained to Fleurence about this, she very haughtily referred to the B&B handout which stated "for your comfort, towels are changed every two days". No apologies; no fresh towels.
At the very least, we thought this rather "unique" B&B towel policy should have been pointed out to us when Fleurence was going through her list of "don't-do's" upon arrival. Given the weather, we found it even more upsetting that Fleurence could not make an exception to the "two-day-towel-policy". Would never recommend this B&B - Fleurence's rigid guidelines make for an uncomfortable stay and left us feeling very unwelcome.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BarbaraDoorCounty_WI
gentil37, Owner at Moulin du Fief Gentil, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2011

I have read your review. As a B&B (which is not an hotel, as you know) I try to offer to my guests the best possible comfort, and among many other things, changing the towels every 2 days. I understand that this is not what you are used to. I remember that you asked for a wash cloth I gave to you, but I do not remember that you asked for fresh towels. I am sorry if you feel I were rude to you, be sure this was not intentional. As you can read on the other reviews, guests appreciate my warm welcome. We have had a very nice evening dinner together with other guests, and you do not mention it. I am very sorry that the towels affair has made a mess of your stay at the mill. I hope that you will forgive me for this.
Sincerely
Florence Heurtebise

Been to Moulin du Fief Gentil? Share your experiences!