This small family run hotel is located directly on the lake in Hossegor.
The jogging path around the lake (6, 8 or 10 km) runs directly in front of the property. Lake views from the rooms are lovely.
The front desk staff and managers are very welcoming and nothing is too much trouble. The quality of the service here is a very high standard which, unfortunately is harder and harder to find in France today. Here you get the feeling that the customer is truly appreciated and your business is highly valued. How often in other establishments, have we been made to feel like we are inconveniencing the staff! Never was this the case at the Hortensia du Lac.
The location is a bit far from the center and restaurants (although there are a few that you could walk to 15 or 20 minutes away around the flat lake path). There are bike paths and they rent California Cruisers at the reception, very fun for exploring the whole area.
The property is very quiet and even in high summer season we had no noise from parties or bars etc.
This is also the only hotel I've ever been to where the mini-bar is FREE you can take all the drinks you want, our kids loved that.
Hotel organized Billabong surf camp with a bus that came to reception to pick up the kids each morning and drop them back at lunch. Perfect.
Rooms have flat screen TVs with DVD readers and you can borrow from DVDs from the front reception. Great idea.
The negative points are:
- Cost of breakfast (expensive); yes it is a nice buffet for French standards, but nothing spectacular. As usually in France you pay a lot for the morning meal; Also agree with others that the breakfast room is cramped, and the breakfast service lady is a bit stressed. There is a lot of tension over who can sit at the window-front tables etc. Would be nice if they found a solution for a more relaxed breakfast; (perhaps having a nice breakfast package in the rooms? letting people take breakfast upstairs in the reception salon?)
- Cost of snacks around the pool (do I recall over 20 euros for a croque monsieur?)
- Pool sun loungers: pretty white abstract looking things, lovely on the website photos, but totally impractical and also quite dangerous. Impossible to move around or recline. Heavy, and unstable on their bases. Unfortunately these pool loungers do not make you want to sit near the pool for more than a few hours at a time (perhaps that's the idea?)
- No spa
- Wifi unreliable
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, TripOnline SA and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Les Hortensias du Lac reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Les Hortensias Du Lac Hotel Hossegor
- Les Hortensias Du Lac Hossegor