“Fantastic, I will be back!”

Cookery School at Le Chevrefeuille
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: CookDordogne at Le Chevrefeuille offers regional cookery courses, family cookery courses, cooking demonstrations and market tours all year around. Our One Day Regional Cookery Course is for all levels of budding and enthusiastic cooks. The day starts with a local market tour with Chef Ian where he will explain the vast array of local produce and share with you his experience and knowledge of buying and preparing food from this amazing, unique region. Then it's back to the kitchen to cook a delicious long lunch. Our Family Cookery Course runs from 10am to 1pm. The course will focus on some regional classics as well as some innovative cooking tips which will help you back in your own kitchen. During the morning you will be guided through preparing your own two course lunch. Our Cooking Demonstrations are for those who wish to relax, taste and watch Chef Ian prepare some of the delights from the Perigord Noir. All courses are in English. Accommodation is also available.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed January 19, 2014

I received my cookery course as a gift from family; very generous. However I was very sceptical. An English chef teaching and Englishman to cook in France. I don’t think so. How wrong I was.
On arriving Le Chevrefeuille, my family and I were greeted by Ian & Sara (the chef, boss and his lovely family). The property is located in the beautiful hamlet of Pechboutier, St Cyprien in the heart of golden triangle in the Dordogne.

Le Chevrefeuille is a gorgeously repurposed small holding comprising a main house and a little collection of individual Gites and room. Restored to a high standard, and in a quintessentially rustic French setting, the Wi-Fi and flat screens may seem incongruous but are nevertheless welcome creature comforts as is the large pool and lawns.

After settling in the course began. Ian is an adept and amusing communicator it would seem and within 30 minutes I was hooked; whisked off to the market in St Cyprien we were soon touring the delights of the local produce. It’s obvious Ian knows his stuff as he has earned the respect of the local producers and they allowed to taste and handle natures’ bounty with enthusiasm.
Upon our return to the kitchen Ian made us feel very relaxed and was informal in the way in which he set about getting us started in his kitchen. His amongst his amusing anecdotes his underlying attention to detail was obvious to all and he clearly and effectively demonstrated techniques and methods to ensure our cooking not only tasted good but had those ‘professional touches’.

Considering myself to be a proficient home cook, I quickly realised that just one day in this kitchen would open up a whole host of opportunities for me to improve my overall cooking.
The day flew by and at the end of it I was very proud to have produced a tasty tapenade, Confit de Canard, and Red fruit Soufflé.

I can’t recommend Le Chevrefeuille, and Ian’s cookery course enough – many thanks to the Fisk family, we will be back!

LeChevrefeuille, Owner at Cookery School at Le Chevrefeuille, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2014

Thanks Chris for your recent review. I am so glad you enjoyed your day with us it was a pleasure for us also. Hope you can come back again soon.

All reviews