“Worst Hotel I've ever stayed at”

Red Roof Inn & Suites Muskegon Heights
Cary, Illinois
“Worst Hotel I've ever stayed at”
Reviewed September 10, 2010

The worst hotel I've ever stayed at...and I spent my college roadtrips staying at Motel 6 establishments.
1) The neighborhood is scary. Everything around it is boarded up.
2) We had to sign a form promising we wouldn't do drugs or have wild parties.
3) The security doors had no locks. Anybody could get in.
4) There was encrusted feces on the toilet rim and hair on top of the toilet.
5) They advertise a free breakfast but had only coffee.
6) The light between the beds was broken.
7) The phone book was sticky.
I'm glad we were only there one night.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
7 Thank GreatLakesTraveler13

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
muskegon
Reviewed August 17, 2010

Me and my family came to stay the night. With two small kids we used up the wash cloths and towels up quick. The next morning we had to leave earlier for a family event. But needed to take showers. We woke up we found a peace of paper that was slid under the door stating that there water problems and water would be shut off at 11am, it was 9am. I was worried because we needed a second towel for my husband. So I went to open the door to talk to front desk about more towels. Come to find out they had left a bag of towels on my door handle. It was so nice that they were think ahead of time what guest would need to do what they had to before water was shut off. I understand that things happen I am happy that they thought of us. Thank You! Red roof Inn, Thank You!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Saginaw, Michigan
Reviewed August 5, 2010

The room smelled bad and felt unclean. One bed was half made though sheets seemed clean. Floors had not been vacuumed and were spotted with filth. Missing items expected in room. Phone did not work and they never corrected it (did give small discount) no in room internet. Curtains looked ready to fall, I was afraid to close them.
Pool was dirty. Jacuzzi was dirty and cold. The fitness room was unavailable by card key....staff needs to let you in if you want to wait. If we had counted on the hotel to be part of our vacation experience we would have been sorely disappointed.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank deanng66

Travelers are raving about these Muskegon Heights hotels

Spokane
Reviewed August 4, 2010

I was on the road and needed a place to stay, my wife got online and booked the room for me, the room was dirty the carpets were pulling away from the walls the televisions did not work. the hallways were filthy, there were businesses that were closed down all around this hotel and there was a pothole the size of a VW BUG pulling into the entrance. Don't stay here.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
4 Thank idfallfaster
Ferndale, Michigan
Reviewed July 26, 2010

I did read the reviews before I took my family (along with 2 other families) for a stay after visiting Michigan's Adventure. I didn't expect much except a clean hotel & room to stay for the night. Staff was friendly but unfortunately that was the only positive. There were parties going on in the hotel parking lot as well as on the stairwells. Rooms smelled horrible. Phone cords were cut, lights didn't work and security told us not to park or walk behind the hotel for safety reasons. Needless to say, we did not stay there. Find another place to stay!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank Hap1525
Flint, Michigan
Reviewed June 27, 2010

The first thing that greets you is a giant pot hole in the driveway that can break your axle and the hap hazard paint job on the outside ( I dont think this was an original red roof inn, it may have been a closed hotel and a red roof inn sign was slapped on it). The room smelled like fungus, when you turn on the faucet water leaks from the base of the faucet. The carpet is real old with lots of stains. You can't lock the bathroom door. The toilet was an elongated type but somebody slapped a regular round seat on it ( defeated the purpuse). The beds were suposed to be full but I think they were smaller than full. The mattress was clumpy and terrible, it hurt my back even after I flipped it, I dont think it was ever changed since 1977. The room is not worth $78/night, it was worth $45/night. The area is run down with lots of abondened buildings. Their photos are deseving.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank joe45634
Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed June 20, 2010

On pulling into the parking lot, we realized that this hotel was not exactly as described by other posters. The "clientelle" milling around in the parking lot made us reconsider our stay, but we thought "you can't blame the hotel for who stays there, as long as they keep things clean and quiet."

At check-in, they forced us to sign a form with a lot of things that any reasonable adult should know anyway (things like staying quiet and not leaving a huge mess in the room). And I guess if there was one good thing I could say, it was that the hotel did seem relatively quiet through the night.

Once we got to the room, we realized that there was no coffee pot (oddly enough, there were coffee packets), and that the iron was missing.

Moreover, nobody had vacuumed our room, one of the beds looked like they gave up half way through making it, and there were tufts of hair all over the desk in the room.

The television didn't quite work (with a little encouragement and some light slapping, the picture on most channels eventually came in).

When we checked out in the morning, we were overcharged for the room. We had to return in force to get them to change it back, and they acted like it was a pretty common occurrence.

We won't be staying again. Even though the price was low ($75 for a night), we felt like we got a lot less than we paid for.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Holiday Inn Muskegon
#4 of 12 in Muskegon
Shoreline Inn & Conference Center, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
Baymont Inn & Suites Muskegon

Been to Red Roof Inn & Suites Muskegon Heights? Share your experiences!