“Stay somewhere else!!”

Red Roof Inn & Suites Muskegon Heights
Green Bay
“Stay somewhere else!!”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

My family of 4 stayed in 2 rooms for 4 nights Aug. 12- Aug. 16. First, we reserved one deluxe room and one regular room; Adam (at the front desk) even wrote on the key "Deluxe Room," which was supposed to mean microwave and fridge. Well, guess what, no microwave and fridge!! We had to call the front desk to let them know it was not a deluxe room, and thankfully, our bill was correctly adjusted accordingly. Then, the "Deluxe Room" had a terrible smell associated with it, and the TV reception was fuzzy on all channels (however, in the regular room, the TV worked just fine). The bathrooms in both our rooms, once you close the bathroom door, showed tile grout breaking down, scratches, dents, things that should be painted and fixed. Both rooms had fruit flies which were annoying as heck; even after I spent time killing several, there were even more. When I first spotted this, I tried to call the front desk to draw it to their attention, but no one answered! (That's a comforting feeling! Not!) One door was pushed or kicked in on the end table in our room. My son said in the "Deluxe Room" bathroom that the tub water faucets were mixed up, plus there was a 3rd faucet that we couldn't figure out what that was for. The decor was cheap and not well put together; it was either all shades of beige and/or some red highlights with the beige. When the red highlights were added, it certainly looked better. The staff was friendly enough, and the rooms were clean (other than the fruit flies), but NOT well-maintained. It gave the impression that management didn't care. Management, please do yourself a big favor, do a walk-through of all the rooms and fix all the maintenance items. Then this would be a passable hotel. Also, the location had a lot of empty buildings and was a little scary.

2 Thank GreenBayKate
i0712, General Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites Muskegon Heights, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am sorry that you had such a bad experience during your recent stay. The hotel has been recently renovated, and many other guests have been very pleased with our high level of customer service and quality here. Please feel free to contact me at the hotel at any time as I would like the chance to discuss this matter with you further.

Red Roof Inn & Suites~Muskegon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Wasn't sure what to expect from the reviews I read. So glad we stayed here! It's a two star hotel with a five star staff. Sure it's an older hotel but its clean and well maintained. The kids loved the pool, I could barely get them out of it.

The breakfast lady was a delight as I am a grumpy morning person. The coffee never ran out and she constantly restocked the breakfast with a smile and a sincere morning greeting.

We had such a good experience that we decided to stay one more night rather than moving hotels closer to home.

As for the negative reviews ... Some people are never satisfied.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
i0712, General Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites Muskegon Heights, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with other travelers. I am very pleased to hear that you were extremely satisfied with our staff members and the overall condition of the hotel. I am glad that you and your family were able to enjoy our indoor swimming pool and our continental breakfast, and that you decided to extend your stay rather than staying somewhere closer to home. I would like to thank you again for your feedback, and we hope to see you on your next visit to Muskegon.

Manistee, Michigan
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We stayed at the Red Roof Inn in Muskegon twice in the past month, once because it was the only hotel that had rooms available and once because it was the cheapest in the area. Customer service at check-in and check-out was above par. That being said, we had plumbing issues on both stays - in one room the bathtub drain was not working and in the other room the toilet would not flush properly. Both issues were reported to the front desk and both issues were fixed so we were pleased that the hotel was very punctual about fixing problems. Cleanliness was about average - definitely not the cleanest I've ever been to but then again, I've been to worse as well. The beds in both rooms were some of the worst I've ever slept on and about as comfortable as a piece of lumber. Worse, actually, because you could feel every single spring poking your body. In fact, the last night that I stayed there I slept on top of the blankets in the hopes that it would cushion some of the mattress springs just so I could get some sleep! So, bottom line - if you're looking for an affordable, relatively clean hotel to crash for a night, then this is probably your place. If you're looking for a nice, romantic, relaxing getaway for a couple of nights - I'd recommend some place else.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
i0712, General Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites Muskegon Heights, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
To our Valued Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with others. It is great to hear that you felt the staff here was "above par," and that they were able to take care of any issues you had promptly. I would like to thank you again for your feedback, and we hope to see you on your next trip to Muskegon.

Fowlerville, Michigan, United States
Reviewed August 14, 2013

The room was nice, very clean, didn't really have any problems, except, The pool is small, which is no ones fault, but, small children should not be aloowed unless accompained by adults, I, myself am 15, but I tried to enjoy the pool after a long day at Michigan's adventure, and there were about 3 or 4 kids that were diving repeatedly, we left the pool. I just feel like someone should keep and eye on them so no one gets hurt and so guests can use the pool without issues like this.

Room Tip: 1st level rooms are renovated.
Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with other travelers. I am very happy to hear that you were satisfied with your room and our recent renovations. I apologize for kids diving in the pool and being unattended. I would like to let you know that we do have a strict policy on no minors being allowed in the pool room unless accompanied by an adult, and our front desk staff does their best to make sure all guests abide by our policies to prevent such issues. I would like to thank you again for your feedback and we hope to see you again.

Jackson, Michigan
Reviewed August 6, 2013

The staff was very friendly and helpful, we got a second floor room but I needed a first floor "handicap" room and could not get one, and you do not have any elevators only stairs, it was very hard for me as a handicap person to get to my room, so I either had to stay out of the room or always in the room. The hotel was very clean, there was a musty smell in the hall way, our room was clean as far as we could see. The pool was very small. The neighborhood was not what we expected, seemed like a bad neighborhood but we didn't have any problems. Breakfast, you could put out some boiled eggs, pancake batter or waffle batter and more fruit. Otherwise we had a pleasant experience.
Gabrielle and James T.

Room Tip: If you are handicap this hotel is not for you. only if you can get on the first floor it will work...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
i0712, General Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites Muskegon Heights, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
To our Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Red Roof Inn & Suites with other travelers. I am glad that the staff was very friendly and helpful during your stay, and that they did the best they could to accommodate your needs since the room type you would have liked was not available. I would like to thank you again for your feedback regarding your recent stay, and we hope to see you again soon.

Clarksville, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed July 31, 2013

My mother and I reserved for a 3 day stay, which unfortunately happened to be during the Coast Guard Festival in Grand Haven. Our stay had constant highs and lows. We arrived and quickly and easily checked in. Our room on the first floor, room 130 to be exact, was beautifully remodeled with PLUSH queen size beds, a mix of a hardwood and carpeted floor, and crisp, clean linens. We unwound, relaxed... but only for what seemed a moment. We soon realized that there was a leak in our ceiling above one of the beds. Adam, one of the managers I think, was very nice and even though the hotel was completely booked, relocated us to an upstairs room. It was similar except the beds were not plush, they were too firm... it was not completely renovated (it was fully carpeted).... and annoyingly, the toilet didn't stop running unless you reached in the tank to close the flapper. For $79/night, having the mini fridge and microwave were nice. Our ironing board was rusted and would not stay standing so had to have my mom hold it while we ironed a shirt. The continental breakfast is basic, no waffles, just bagels, cereal, danishes, fruit, juice and coffee. The pool, omg is a cesspool! You can see the scum and grime from the hot tub around the edge and apparently maintenance's answer to this was to add more water... The pool is only 3 ft deep and the pool limit is 30 people. It's tiny, muggy, and just icky feeling in the pool room. Service was great! I felt bad for the housekeeping staff because the hotel was probably the most busy it ever is. Our room key reset itself @ noon every day, so be sure if you stay for more than one day and come back after noon, stop by the front desk to have your key re-programmed.

Room Tip: Check your room entirely before unpacking! Check the ceiling and bathroom! Avoid rooms along the bac...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Christina C
Valued Guest,

I am sorry that you experienced highs and lows during your stay with us, however I am glad to hear that you were very satisfied with our recently renovated room and that the front desk staff was able to help resolve any issues. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to see you again.

Dearborn Heights, Michigan
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Our family of three was unexpectedly in need of a hotel room late Tuesday night due to travel delays. As we drove all over Grand Haven looking for hotels with a vacancy, I saw this Red Roof Inn had vacancies available online at the corporate website. We made the drive to Muskegon Heights and tried to check in. The woman at the desk told me they were all sold out. When I pushed the issue about the website showing vacancies, she changed her story and said they had a lot of dirty rooms that would only be cleaned if people with reservations showed up. Or, she offered a suite for twice the price. So apparently if I booked a room online from my car in the parking lot, they would have cleaned a room. We drove a block away to another hotel and they immediately had a room for us for $20 less..

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Kachastar
Dear Valued Guest,

I am sorry that you were misinformed about the status of our rooms when you arrived on Tuesday night, and that you decided to stay at a different location. I would like to discuss this matter with you further so I may prevent such issues in the future. Please feel free to contact me at the hotel directly to discuss further.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Muskegon Heights
Shoreline Inn & Conference Center, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
Holiday Inn Muskegon
Holiday Inn Muskegon
#4 of 12 in Muskegon

Been to Red Roof Inn & Suites Muskegon Heights? Share your experiences!