“Good Friendly Service”

Red Roof Inn & Suites Muskegon Heights
Jackson, Michigan
“Good Friendly Service”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

The staff was very friendly and helpful, we got a second floor room but I needed a first floor "handicap" room and could not get one, and you do not have any elevators only stairs, it was very hard for me as a handicap person to get to my room, so I either had to stay out of the room or always in the room. The hotel was very clean, there was a musty smell in the hall way, our room was clean as far as we could see. The pool was very small. The neighborhood was not what we expected, seemed like a bad neighborhood but we didn't have any problems. Breakfast, you could put out some boiled eggs, pancake batter or waffle batter and more fruit. Otherwise we had a pleasant experience.
Gabrielle and James T.

Room Tip: If you are handicap this hotel is not for you. only if you can get on the first floor it will work...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
i0712, General Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites Muskegon Heights, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
To our Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Red Roof Inn & Suites with other travelers. I am glad that the staff was very friendly and helpful during your stay, and that they did the best they could to accommodate your needs since the room type you would have liked was not available. I would like to thank you again for your feedback regarding your recent stay, and we hope to see you again soon.

Red Roof Inn & Suites~Muskegon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Clarksville, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed July 31, 2013

My mother and I reserved for a 3 day stay, which unfortunately happened to be during the Coast Guard Festival in Grand Haven. Our stay had constant highs and lows. We arrived and quickly and easily checked in. Our room on the first floor, room 130 to be exact, was beautifully remodeled with PLUSH queen size beds, a mix of a hardwood and carpeted floor, and crisp, clean linens. We unwound, relaxed... but only for what seemed a moment. We soon realized that there was a leak in our ceiling above one of the beds. Adam, one of the managers I think, was very nice and even though the hotel was completely booked, relocated us to an upstairs room. It was similar except the beds were not plush, they were too firm... it was not completely renovated (it was fully carpeted).... and annoyingly, the toilet didn't stop running unless you reached in the tank to close the flapper. For $79/night, having the mini fridge and microwave were nice. Our ironing board was rusted and would not stay standing so had to have my mom hold it while we ironed a shirt. The continental breakfast is basic, no waffles, just bagels, cereal, danishes, fruit, juice and coffee. The pool, omg is a cesspool! You can see the scum and grime from the hot tub around the edge and apparently maintenance's answer to this was to add more water... The pool is only 3 ft deep and the pool limit is 30 people. It's tiny, muggy, and just icky feeling in the pool room. Service was great! I felt bad for the housekeeping staff because the hotel was probably the most busy it ever is. Our room key reset itself @ noon every day, so be sure if you stay for more than one day and come back after noon, stop by the front desk to have your key re-programmed.

Room Tip: Check your room entirely before unpacking! Check the ceiling and bathroom! Avoid rooms along the bac...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Christina C
Valued Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with other travelers.
I am sorry that you experienced highs and lows during your stay with us, however I am glad to hear that you were very satisfied with our recently renovated room and that the front desk staff was able to help resolve any issues. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to see you again.

Travelers are raving about these Muskegon Heights hotels

Dearborn Heights, Michigan
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Our family of three was unexpectedly in need of a hotel room late Tuesday night due to travel delays. As we drove all over Grand Haven looking for hotels with a vacancy, I saw this Red Roof Inn had vacancies available online at the corporate website. We made the drive to Muskegon Heights and tried to check in. The woman at the desk told me they were all sold out. When I pushed the issue about the website showing vacancies, she changed her story and said they had a lot of dirty rooms that would only be cleaned if people with reservations showed up. Or, she offered a suite for twice the price. So apparently if I booked a room online from my car in the parking lot, they would have cleaned a room. We drove a block away to another hotel and they immediately had a room for us for $20 less..

2 Thank Kachastar
Dear Valued Guest,

I am sorry that you were misinformed about the status of our rooms when you arrived on Tuesday night, and that you decided to stay at a different location. I would like to discuss this matter with you further so I may prevent such issues in the future. Please feel free to contact me at the hotel directly to discuss further.

New Hamburg, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed July 30, 2013

we spent four nights at this hotel and the staff was very friendly and eager to help with anything they could. We arrived Thursday night and the cable and TV did not have the best reception. They sent someone to try to fix it, but he was unable to, so we just watched the best channel that we could. The next morning the front desk informed us that it could not be fixed and that they would send some one to help us move rooms. We moved ourselves and where told we where being given a discount on the room for our trouble. This hotel is very clean and well kept. I do believe it is an older building but is being updated and redone...very pleased and we will definitely stay there again on any future trips to Muskegon....be sure to check it out. Very reasonable rates as well.

To our Valued Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with other travelers. I am glad to hear that our staff was very nice and that you were pleased with our recent renovation. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to see you again.

Avilla, Indiana
Reviewed July 13, 2013

This recently renovated property provides a reasonably priced overnight option in the Muskegon area. Front desk employees were very nice, the bed was comfortable, & breakfast was more than adequate. Unfortunately, the filthy hallway carpeting is a serious distraction.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank avilladawn
i0712, General Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites Muskegon Heights, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to thank you for sharing your comments with other travelers regarding your recent stay at Red Roof Inn & Suites of Muskegon. I am very pleased to hear that you were satisfied with the front desk staff, our recent renovation, and that the quality met your standards for an economy hotel. We have recently been in contact with an outside carpet cleaning company to work on the common area carpets for us, as we are aware this is an issue of concern. I would like to thank you again for your feedback, and hope to see you again soon.

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed July 12, 2013

stayed one night while on our way to a wedding. Rooms are ok. Pool is small. There is a very musty, strange smell all over the halls, rooms in and out. The hotel seemed clean, but could not get past the strange smell. Decent price, but would not stay again.

Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to thank you for sharing your experience with other travelers. I hope that you had a wonderful time at the wedding you were attending. I am unsure of the strange smell you mention in your comment, as all of the hallways and guest common areas are cleaned on a daily basis. Please feel free to contact me at the hotel directly if you would like to discuss this further. I would like to thank you again for your feedback, and we hope to see you in the future.

Clarkston, Michigan
Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

The only reason I stayed here was the discount I get through Corporate Lodging when I travel to work. I room was $29.99 discounted, which was a great deal until I saw the room. Floors not vacuumed and cigarette wrappers on the floor. I always pull the sheets back to check the cleanliness. OMG - there it was a dark red stain. I almost puked. I went to the front desk and requested a new room, that was 20 minutes for an unknown reason. 2nd room dirty, another disappointment. 3rd time time was ok but this hotel recently had a renovation. The deal is this - it's an old hotel that they repaired and carpeted. It did no good. The rooms are dirty at best, I did without a bath, because no way was going in the bathtub. Some one got shot in the neighborhood the first night . 2 nights was all I could stomach. It felt like a hooker motel. Run don't walk from here. It is the worst hole I ever encountered. Even the staff said they would not sleep there. Horrifying and filthy.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank legacychick
Dear Guest,

I am sorry that you had such a bad experience during your stay with us. The hotel has in fact been recently renovated, and many other travelers have been very pleased with the level of Quality and Service they receive here. I would like the opportunity to discuss this matter with you further, so please feel free to contact me at the hotel directly at your earliest convenience.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Muskegon Heights
Holiday Inn Muskegon
#4 of 12 in Muskegon
Shoreline Inn & Conference Center, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
Baymont Inn & Suites Muskegon

Been to Red Roof Inn & Suites Muskegon Heights? Share your experiences!