“Friendly Front Desk Staff”

Red Roof Inn & Suites Muskegon Heights
Avilla, Indiana
“Friendly Front Desk Staff”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

This recently renovated property provides a reasonably priced overnight option in the Muskegon area. Front desk employees were very nice, the bed was comfortable, & breakfast was more than adequate. Unfortunately, the filthy hallway carpeting is a serious distraction.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank avilladawn
i0712, General Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites Muskegon Heights, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to thank you for sharing your comments with other travelers regarding your recent stay at Red Roof Inn & Suites of Muskegon. I am very pleased to hear that you were satisfied with the front desk staff, our recent renovation, and that the quality met your standards for an economy hotel. We have recently been in contact with an outside carpet cleaning company to work on the common area carpets for us, as we are aware this is an issue of concern. I would like to thank you again for your feedback, and hope to see you again soon.

Red Roof Inn & Suites~Muskegon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed July 12, 2013

stayed one night while on our way to a wedding. Rooms are ok. Pool is small. There is a very musty, strange smell all over the halls, rooms in and out. The hotel seemed clean, but could not get past the strange smell. Decent price, but would not stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to thank you for sharing your experience with other travelers. I hope that you had a wonderful time at the wedding you were attending. I am unsure of the strange smell you mention in your comment, as all of the hallways and guest common areas are cleaned on a daily basis. Please feel free to contact me at the hotel directly if you would like to discuss this further. I would like to thank you again for your feedback, and we hope to see you in the future.

Travelers are raving about these Muskegon Heights hotels

Clarkston, Michigan
Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

The only reason I stayed here was the discount I get through Corporate Lodging when I travel to work. I room was $29.99 discounted, which was a great deal until I saw the room. Floors not vacuumed and cigarette wrappers on the floor. I always pull the sheets back to check the cleanliness. OMG - there it was a dark red stain. I almost puked. I went to the front desk and requested a new room, that was 20 minutes for an unknown reason. 2nd room dirty, another disappointment. 3rd time time was ok but this hotel recently had a renovation. The deal is this - it's an old hotel that they repaired and carpeted. It did no good. The rooms are dirty at best, I did without a bath, because no way was going in the bathtub. Some one got shot in the neighborhood the first night . 2 nights was all I could stomach. It felt like a hooker motel. Run don't walk from here. It is the worst hole I ever encountered. Even the staff said they would not sleep there. Horrifying and filthy.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank legacychick
Dear Guest,

I am sorry that you had such a bad experience during your stay with us. The hotel has in fact been recently renovated, and many other travelers have been very pleased with the level of Quality and Service they receive here. I would like the opportunity to discuss this matter with you further, so please feel free to contact me at the hotel directly at your earliest convenience.

Ann Arbor, MI
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We stayed just one night at this location and found that it met our needs. We were traveling with our small dog and they allow pets with no additional charge. The hotel is well-located for some local attractions (it was only 10 minutes to Hoffmaster State Park on Lake Michigan).

I think I would give it 3.5 stars if I could--1 for the area and exterior and 4 for the room and staff.

The hotel is located in a very desolate area, though it doesn't seem unsafe (I walked the dog a few blocks in each direction in the evening and morning and didn't encounter anything that made me uncomfortable).

Almost every building you can see from the hotel is vacant and run down. The exterior of the hotel is littered with cigarette butts, trash and weeds so the overall impression when we pulled up is "What did I get us into?!?!?"

Our impression began to change when we met the friendly front desk clerk who was very welcoming and efficient.

We went to our room and found that it was a 2-room suite. It was easy to see these suites had once been two separate hotel rooms and that recent renovations had included creating a large, spacious suite by combining them. The suite contained a sitting area, small refrigerator, a microwave, and a small table. The bedroom included a king-sized bed and large jacuzzi tub.

Everything was clean and the mattress was very new looking (as a frequent traveller I always check for bedbugs and found nothing but a very clean mattress).

The free wifi signal was very weak in the bedroom, but better in the sitting room.

Before going to bed we decided to use the jacuzzi and the water handle fell off in my husband's hand when he went to turn it on. There was no one on the property to fix it (though the front desk man came down very quickly to see whether he could do it). They offered to let us move to another suite, but we were tired and didn't want to pack up and move so we accepted their 10% discount. The next morning we noted that the discount was on our bill which is nice. So often that doesn't happen.

The room was quiet even though the hotel was pretty full. Breakfast was adequate--standard budget continental breakfast fare. Checkout was quick, friendly, and efficient too.

We did not use the pool since we'd been at Lake Michigan all day so I can't comment on its condition.

My one tip would be to call the hotel directly to see if you can get a better rate than what is listed online. The rate on the hotel's sign was $30 cheaper than what we paid with our AAA discount.

I don't think I've ever stayed anywhere that had such a disjoint between the exterior and interior of the hotel. They have obviously put a lot of money into renovations, but I'm guessing they won't thrive until they give the same attention to detail to the outside of their property as well.

Room Tip: Call the hotel directly to see if you can get a better rate than what's listed online.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Valued Guest,

I would like to thank you for sharing your experience at Red Roof Inn & Suites of Muskegon with other travelers. I am glad to hear that you felt welcomed upon arrival, that the front desk GSR was efficient during your check in process, and that you were satisfied with your recently renovated Jacuzzi Suite. I would like to thank you again for your feedback, and we hope to see you in the future.

Troy, Michigan
Reviewed July 1, 2013

My daughter and I stayed here for the Grand Haven Soccer in the Sand Tournament. I read the reviews and was a bit worried, to be honest. I recommended this hotel to another family as well, and had faith in the Red Roof name. The outside of the inn needs a bit of TLC...landscaping would add to the grounds. We stayed in room 171. When I opened the door, I was pleasantly surprised that the room was extremely clean, had obviously been updated, and was very happy. The floors were nice, beds great, and the breakfast bar was sufficient with the basics found at hotels who provide this service. I will say the staff was very nice, engaging, and made sure we were happy. I would stay again, without hesitation! The other family was happy with their room too. Additionally, other reviews on this site could have been written before updating was done to the rooms they stayed in. I find nothing wrong with a security guard on the grounds, and the area, a bit remote, was not bad, but looked like the economy had taken a toll on the few buildings around. I was comfortable, safe, and had no worries here. Is it the Ritz? No, it is a Red Roof in that provides reasonable rates, with clean rooms, breakfast, and I recommend this one!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Chris R
i0712, General Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites Muskegon Heights, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to thank you for sharing your experience with other travelers. I am pleased to hear that you were satisfied with our recent renovation, and that your room was clean and inviting. I would like you to know that we are currently reviewing different options for the exterior of our property. I would like to thank you again for your positive feedback, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Illinois
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I was told by my kids when i booked it that it was a bad place to stay. The owners have redone the rooms very nice. Pool was nice, Breakfast was nice and clean. Got a avg. rate of $58 per night on a 3 night stay. We enjoyed our stay here and would come back and stay there.

Room Tip: We stayed away from the pool area and had a deluxe room very nice
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
To our Valued Guest,

I would like to thank you for your positive review regarding your recent stay at the Red Roof Inn & Suites of Muskegon. I am glad that you were satisfied with our reasonable rates, and that you were able to enjoy the pool during your stay. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

For the price, I can't complain. Room was clean and adequate. The staff was great, very friendly. The breakfast was as expected nothing special, but do you want for the price. My only beef was the poor wifi reception in our room. The signal wasn't strong enough to hold a connection. Still, I would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
I would like to thank you for sharing your experience with other travelers. I am pleased to hear that you were satisfied with your stay, and that all of the staff was very friendly and helpful. Thank you again for your feedback, and we here at the Red Roof Inn & Suites of Muskegon look forward to seeing you in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Muskegon Heights
Hampton Inn Muskegon
Hampton Inn Muskegon
#2 of 12 in Muskegon
Fairfield Inn & Suites Muskegon Norton Shores

Been to Red Roof Inn & Suites Muskegon Heights? Share your experiences!