“Expensive - But Standard Hampton Experience”

Hampton Inn Muskegon
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Muskegon
ann arbor, michigan
“Expensive - But Standard Hampton Experience”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed here one night during Labor Day weekend. The room was nice and comfortable, with a mini-fridge for our use and a microwave. There was a sleep-sofa as well as the king sized bed. The television offered a good selection of HD channels. The breakfast room was standard. Food at breakfast was varied, but the scrambled eggs were some kind of awful looking egg nuggets. Otherwise, there were waffles, bagels, fruit, cereal, and hot oatmeal.

The location of this hotel is a bit off the beaten track. You have to turn down a side road that dead-ends on freeway. I needed my GPS to find it.

1 Thank UnivMichTraveler
Robert T, General Manager at Hampton Inn Muskegon, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear UnivMichTraveler,

Thank you for your recent stay with us at the Hampton Inn Muskegon and for taking the time to offer your review on Trip Advisor. I am glad to hear you found the room comfortable and well equipped for your stay. While the breakfast room may have seemed standard we are always striving to be anything but. As such we are currently undergoing an extensive renovation to upgrade our property. I hop when you have a chance to return to Muskegon you will be able to give us a look again to see all the changes. We will also see if there are any ways we can improve our breakfast offerings for our On the House Hot Breakfast so all of our guests can enjoy a delicious hot meal to start their day. Thanks again for taking the time to find your way to the Hampton Inn Muskegon.

Robert Taylor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Davison, United States
Reviewed August 30, 2013

My kids had to sleep on the Floor and I was told to bad I had a discount so I wasn't as important as a customer as those who pd full price. i put in online for 2 queen beds and I got 1 king bed for 2 adults and 4 kids. The hotel staff was the one who told me if I reserved online it would be cheaper. my stay was thurs to sun this is the 2nd time Hampton has done this to me never again.

3 Thank Tamera K
Robert T, General Manager at Hampton Inn Muskegon, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear Tamera,

I am so very sorry about the experience you had on your visit to the Hampton Inn – Muskegon. We do our best to achieve 100% satisfaction for all of our guests and I am sorry that we failed you in that respect. I apologize for the disconnect in communication regarding the booking of your room and that we were unable to meet your specific room type request for your reservation. While the room with two queen beds may not have been available we do try to accommodate guests in the rooms with the king bed and pull out sleeper sofa as well to comfortably sleep the maximum number of people in each room type. Many larger families can also opt to request two adjoining rooms. In most cases we are able to meet each guests needs, during the busy summer travel season however, some room types are in particularly high demand and we cannot always guarantee their availability. Again, I am extremely sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us and I hope Hampton Inn and Hampton Inn and Suites can still be of service to you in the future.

Robert Taylor
General manager
Silverdale, Washington
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Well this has been my 4th Hampton Inn I have posted a review on and this one did not disappoint either. Although they were currently renovating the 3rd Floor this did not cause any additional noise or problems. The room I had was two queens and had the usual military rate. A bit higher than I am used to but still OK. This time of year is the end of the vacationing season I was told so this was probably there last wind before the season winds down. Room was good. Had a slow draining bathroom sink and told the desk staff in the evening and it was fixed the next day after returning from my business engagement. Front staff were pleasant and assisted each it was needed. Breakfast was well stocked, clean and had someone taking care of all our needs. Good job folks!

Room Tip: Not sure if there is a better located room than another...front looks over a parking lot and the bac...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Robert T, General Manager at Hampton Inn Muskegon, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Dear Kevin,

I am so glad we did not disappoint you during your recent stay at the Hampton Inn Muskegon! We are always striving to make sure our guests leave here extremely satisfied and even though we are going through a renovation to upgrade our property we still want everybody to have an enjoyable experience. I really appreciate you taking the time to offer your feedback and I will be sure to pass your comments along to the rest of the staff. We hope you’ll be able to return to us again soon to see the enhancements we are making to the property.

General manager
Waunakee, United States
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We stayed 2 nights for a family wedding. Room was clean, amenities good. Kids enjoyed the pool. The continental breakfast was fine. There were scrambled eggs, French toast sticks, oatmeal and make your own Belgian waffles for hot options. All were decent and worth not having to bother to go somewhere else. Took a little while to get someone to the desk for check in, but otherwise service was good. Located near several restaurants and Target, so we could stock the mini fridge with snacks and beverages. Would definitely stay again if in the area.

Dear Amy,

Thank you so much for your recent stay with us at the Hampton Inn - Muskegon and for taking the time to offer a review on our property through Trip Advisor. I am very pleased that your stay with us was enjoyable and I hope you had a great time at the wedding! I appreciate all the feedback we get because it helps us to deliver a better experience for you, our guest. I am glad you had the opportunity to take advantage of our On the House hot breakfast to start your mornings off right. We are always reviewing the selection we offer to bring the best value to our guests.

Thanks again for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon!

Cambridge, Canada
Reviewed August 21, 2013

The property is being renovated and the room we stayed in on the 2nd floor looked like it was showing its' age. Renovation will be welcome. The service was excellent. We had a cycling event to attend that required a really early start. Breakfast was available for us earlier than advertised. I lost a set of keys...waiting for me at the front desk. I forgot a charger...found in the room. Service that should be the expected norm but are rare these days...appear to still be the norm at this property. The price was extremely high in my opinion but perhaps August in this area is high season?

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Jay,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Hampton Inn Muskegon and for offering a review on Trip Advisor. I am extremely happy that your stay with us was enjoyable and I am glad to hear that the staff provided the type of service you should always expect at a Hampton hotel. As you noted our renovations are well underway and the upgrades we are making should be worth the wait. I hope you will be able to visit us again soon to see all the changes! While our prices do run a bit higher this time of year we keep a close eye on conditions to make sure we are priced correctly for the market we are in. We also have lots of great travel deals available in the fall and winter months.

Thanks again for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon!

Saint Joseph, Michigan
Reviewed August 18, 2013

This was literally an in and out stay on our way back from MI Adventure (15 min drive). No time to check out amenities. It's located off the highway but we faced parking lot so noise was not an issue. Location was good close to many restaurants and a mall. We were on the first floor-to my surprise, noise was not an issue again. The room was clean, slightly dated (I did notice wear on the caulking of the bathtub and wall paper). We also noticed NO CLOSET in the room (we stayed in a King Room with Fold Out sofa (there's a photo posted). We asked for extra pillows and blankets and someone came with them 5 minutes later so service was good. The breakfast was ok but the milk was watered down and the juice was not juice-(typical of most hotels we stay at). I guess I expected more for $200 a night! I pay less downtown Chicago and have received more for it. The good news it that I reserved this room under HHonors triple points program and received a lot of points for it. I would recommend as long as a lower rate was offered.

Room Tip: Ask for room not facing the highway
2 Thank nomadsister
Dear Nomadsister,

Thank you for choosing to say with us during your trip to Michigan’s Adventure, I hope you had a great time there! I am sorry you didn’t get a chance to check out more of our amenities but I hope you will have the opportunity to check them out after we are done with our renovation. We will be making significant upgrades to our guest rooms as well as the lobby area where we serve our daily On the House hot breakfast. We will also be enlarging our fitness center to offer a wider range of workout options to our guests. I am sorry about the closet in the room, they are in fact hidden behind the mirrored door as you enter the room. While our prices do tend to run higher to match demand during our peak summer travel season there are often discounts or specials that are made available and our rates are often lower in the off-season. I know how important a great rate is when traveling with a family and we will always try to provide the best value for what we have to offer. Thanks again for your feedback and we hope to see you again soon!

Big Rapids, United States
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Very satisfied with the quality and service from this hotel. Easy access off highway and close to restaurants, retail stores and gas stations. Employees were friendly and courteous. Our room was very clean and comfy. A nice breakfast was served in the morning and included a nice variety of items.

Dear Lori,

I wanted to extend my thanks to you for your recent stay with us at the Hampton Inn Muskegon and for offering a review of our hotel on Trip Advisor. It is vital for us to hear from all of our guests and reviews like yours help us know when we got it right! I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that you had the chance to help yourself to a good hot breakfast to get your morning started off right. I hope you will be back with us again soon so you can experience all the upgrades we are in the process of adding to our hotel!