“Great Restaurant and BAD housekeeping”

Holiday Inn Muskegon
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Muskegon
Reviewed August 28, 2005

Great restaurant management and staff!!!

Everything else in this hotel needs an overhaul. Housekeeping almost non-existent. No tissue (entire hotel), no towels at pool, not enough towels in room (had to call 3 of 4 nights), dirty bathroom, NO service 1 of the 4 days. First night of four nights asked for a refrig. never came until I asked three days in a row. False fire alarm on Monday night at 4:00am. - staff said it happens all the time.

I would not stay here again. Rick from WI.

3  Thank portviewwi
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Muskegon

Reviewed August 25, 2005

I performed two shows at the Muskegon Summer Celebration on Saturday, July 2, 2005, with my band "On the Beach". The weather was fantastic, the audiences were absolutely awesome - all the great things we had heard about this festival were certainly true. Our band was on the proverbial "road", we were totally exhausted, and I could have slept anywhere...anywhere, that is, except where the festival had arranged for our accommodations - the Muskegon Holiday Inn.

Our band was supplied two rooms - one was fine. Our room, however, was missing CURTAINS. There were small, 6" to 8" decorative side-panels on each side (but the window was ten or twelve feet wide and about nine feet tall), and there was a thin white sheer covering the window. However, when I went to close the heavy curtain - it simply wasn't there! I called the front desk, but because of the festival, there were no other rooms available. Upon closer inspection, I could see that the ends of the metal rail that held the heavy curtain were still in place, but the middle ten feet of the rail was gone - it had been neatly cut off with a hack saw. Just my luck, the window faced east, and I was up bright and early at 6:15 - like it or not. I watched Sportscenter three times in a row so our drummer could finish sleeping, and then we departed - but not before I visited the front desk.

I politely registered my complaint at the front desk, and my complaint was met with the following response, "Well, you guys got your rooms for free, didn't you?" I asked to speak with the manager on duty...he asked the EXACT same question! My response was - no, our rooms weren't "free", they were included as part of a compensation package in payment for our performances - we earned them. I also mentioned that whether it be a $30.00 Motel 6, or a $175.00 Holiday Inn, the very least a customer should be assured of is a room suitable for sleeping - and I did not get a room suitable for sleeping.

The manager assured me that no one was aware that the room was missing the curtains, and he offered me a $20.00 discount. I informed the manager that the curtain rail had been machine cut - and unless a customer came in with a saw and cut the rail down, it was done by the hotel's maintenance staff - and the management KNEW that it had been done, and that the room was lacking curtains. I also mentioned that a $20.00 discount was unacceptable - I wanted the Muskegon Summer Celebration to be refunded the entire amount. The manager on duty suggested that I call during the week during business hours and speak with the general manager. I suggested that I was a CUSTOMER, and that the general manager should call me! I left my card, and we left Muskegon.

Well, it's now August 25, we're done with our summer tour, and I haven't heard diddley from the management at the Muskegon Holiday Inn. Would things have been any different if we had been "regular people" instead of musicians staying at a sold out hotel during a major festival? I certainly don't know, but for what the Muskegon Holiday Inn charges for a "night's sleep", I wouldn't risk it if I were you.

• Stayed: July 2005, traveled on business
7  Thank JeffTuckerMusic
Reviewed August 10, 2005

We stayed at the Holiday Inn one night when the other hotels north of town were either full or too expensive. It was a good choice. The rooms are huge and beds are comfortable. We had stayed here about 15 years ago when it was a Hilton and over the years the hotel has been well maintained. There were a few indications of age, but not many. Front desk staff was very helpful. Morning buffet breakfast was good, but the staff was overwhelmed with the number of guests arriving about the same time. In all, we'd definitely stay here again, and would recommend this to others.

• Stayed: August 2005
2  Thank WorldWideTraveler
Reviewed July 9, 2005

Stayed there for the weekend to go to Michigan Adventure. Was very close to the hotel. Was also during the summer celebration. Our room was spacious and the bed was soo comfortable with down pillows. The Lounge was alot of fun. The band was blues and soul with a little funk. Very good! The only problem I had with the whole weekend was not enough staff working the lounge. There had to be about 100 people in the bar with only 2 or 3 waitresses/bartenders. Had to wait anlong time to be served. They were overwhelmed to say the least. The whole staff was friendly except for 1 front deck gentleman. Very Very rude. I would recommend this hotel to everyone!

• Stayed: July 2005
4  Thank Dansnag
Reviewed April 24, 2005

We stayed at this hotel 4/16/05. There was a state youth bowling tournament in town this weekend. The hotel forces you to sign an agreement that no children under 18 will be unattended, but they do not enforce it. I saw children everywhere and never saw an adult. The kids were running up & down the hall, slamming doors, yelling until all hours of the night. The pool was overcrowded with kids, so we woke up early to go in the a.m. It was supposed to open at 7 am. We finally gave up waiting at 8:30 am and got ready to leave. Our A/C did not work and the beds were uncomfortable. There was a hockey game next door and they gave all their parking to hockey fans, instead of their paying guests. There was no continental breakfast. I was quite upset with our entire visit - I know the problems we encountered were directly related to having large groups of unsupervised kids in the hotel - but all the same, it was a bad experience for us. We will not stay here again. I spoke with a gentleman at the counter at 7:30 who said a manager would be in a 10. Then at 9:30 when checking out I asked another if a manager might be in, and he said yes. Guess who came to the counter? The same guy I spoke with at 7:30. I was quite surprised that at 7:30 he wasn't a manager but at 9:30 he was. I did eventually speak with the hotel manager on the phone. She was very apologetic and this mess was more than they had anticipated or wanted. She said she would send me information for a free night at another Holiday Inn, but I haven't received anything to date. I do believe they were overwhelmed with the volume of kids they had that night, but it still didn't make me feel any better about my stay.

• Stayed: April 2005
3  Thank Debbie978
A TripAdvisor Member
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviewed April 9, 2005

While staying at this hotel I was rudely interrupted in the middle of the night by a loud banging noise. I got up and looked in the hallway to find that there was a squad team busting in the door to a room down the hall, when I went to the front desk to find out what was going on I found out that there was a drug bust going on. According to the staff at the front desk it has happened before, that it actually happens often since it is located in a bad part of town. I do not recommend that families or anyone traveling alone stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2005, traveled on business
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 6, 2005

Everything was great! The staff was very helpful and quick to respond to any problems or issues we had. I would highly recommend this hotel.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member