“total dissapointment”

Holiday Inn Muskegon
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Muskegon
Reviewed April 16, 2009

We booked this room as a last minute getaway. My daughters ages 6 and 8 were so excited about the pool. When I checked in there was a sign that said "pool under construction of next 2 weeks" UGH! I thought we'd check out our room and see if it was worth staying even without a pool. The answer was a for sure "NO". Very standard. We called the Hampton Inn from the Holiday Inn room and made a reservation, gathered our things and left. If you are trying to decide between Holiday Inn or Hampton Inn, go with Hampton, It was fantastic.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank jojomagic
IHGManager, Manager at Holiday Inn Muskegon, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2009

I sincerely apologize that the pool was closed for repairs during your attempt to stay with us. We strive to ensure each guest’s stay is memorable in quality and service but during your time with us, we clearly missed our mark. We appreciate your feedback and if time allows, I would like to extend an invitation for you to contact me directly to further discuss your experience.

B. Whitney

Reviewed April 7, 2009

Jim the Gas Man.
I have spent many nights at this Holiday Inn Muskegon. I have never been disappointed! the staff is first class and they know your name and what it is what you like! I walk in, they know my name, what I like to eat and drink. That means a lot to a person who has to spend time away from his family. Buffy, Nikkita, Jessica, and Nicole make me feel as if I were home with my family. to sum it all up... First class!!! I love it coming here and spending time with the staff.... Jim The Gas Man!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank bigjaemo
Reviewed March 23, 2009

From the moment I checked in, I felt that the employees were happy to have me there. I was told that there were some renovations going on, but that it would not affect my stay with them, and it sure didn't. The room that I stayed in was newly renovated, it felt like I was the first person to stay in that room. What a great feeling. The location was fantastic. It was very close to resturants, and the company that I was in town to work with. The lounge and restaurant had very friendly staff and the food was delicious as well. I would recommend this hotel to anyone, and will definetly be staying here again!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank JewelsChicago
IHGManager, Manager at Holiday Inn Muskegon, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2009

Dear valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review describing your stay with us. We realize that you have many hotel options in the Muskegon area and we truly appreciate your patronage. Thanks again for choosing the Holiday Inn Muskegon Harbor and we look forward to your next visit!

B. Whitney

Reviewed November 13, 2008

This hotel is the worst. They do not care about their guests. The front desk people were very rude from the time I checked in and beyond. There was a band in the bar which was quite loud and the bar happened to be directly below our room. You would have thought that the band was in the room with us. I called the front desk and the person told me "Oh well" when I said the music was keeping my kids awake. I called the front desk at 1:30 in the morning when the music was still going strong and was told it was the restaurants responsibility. It finished around 2:00 am. Lets just say a night with no sleep does not make a happy family the next day. I spoke to the manager later she told me she would look into the matter and get back to me but she never did. I have stayed in Muskegon before but this was the first time at this hotel. It will definitely be the last. Find another place to stay, You will be glad you did..

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank pkt6
Reviewed October 19, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Holiday Inn in Muskegon Michigan. The hotel was clean and the front desk clerk was pleasant and efficient. However, the hotel did not have a welcoming and caring atmosphere. I would look elsewhere if I needed to come back to Muskegon. We were not made aware that the pool and "spa" area were closed. Another guest told us it was also closed the last time they were there. The workout room felt creepy and unsafe for a women to use alone. The guest room had few guest amenities, one complementary water bottle, when the sign clearly said, "enjoy two complementary water bottles", only generic shampoo and lotion and bar soap in the bathroom, no tissue in the dispenser, no cream and sugar for the coffee and only one tea bag. The room displayed a complete lack of caring about the comforts of the guest.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Maryg117
Reviewed September 17, 2008

Decent place to stay if you are headed to one of the many festivals at Heritage Landing that Muskegon has to offer during the year.

The good: Staff was great, very pleasant. Hotel itself was very clean - no complaints. Our room was on the 7th floor (had a nice view), very spacious, comfortable, and clean. Bathroom shower had good water pressure (plus in my book). Location great for us - went to the Irish Music Festival - about a 5 block walk to Heritage Landing. Hotel also had a pub with live Irish music later in the evening (which was great) and the bar staff had great service, very friendly even though the place was packed!

Neutral: The tv only had several stations coming in - think this was due to all of the bad weather and their satellite dishes not working (or they just need updating). Pillows could have used a wee-bit more fluff.

Negative: Only bad thing our bathroom sink need some Drain-O! Very slow draining - if you are the maid how could you miss this?

Overall: Had a very nice experience here, great staff - especially considering the place was sold out, and all of the rainy weather. Would stay here again without a doubt.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank starchild101
Reviewed August 30, 2008

This hotel is overpriced compared to what is available in this price range and it does not include breakfast.

The receptionist was unfriendly to the point of being rude. She made us feel rather unwelcome and as if she was doing us a tremendously big favour taking our money.

The bedroom was untidy. The beds were made, but it looked as if someone had sat on them. The towels in the bathroom had falled off the rack some were lying in the bath, some on the floor. The ceiling above the bath is rotting and the metal strutts are covered with red rust. The wallpaper is peeling.

The swimmingpool and hot tub are very old, the hot tub was broken. The pool has painted boards on the edge, these boards are peeling paint.

I will not stay here again and would not recommend it to friends and family.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family