“Nothing Impressive”

Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Muskegon
Fort Wayne
“Nothing Impressive”
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Muskegon over Labor Day weekend. We checked in around 10pm Friday night and had no problems. We requested a refridgerator and a microwave, and both were provided immediately. The room was ok. Way too much space... Seemed like something was missing. The sheets were dirty and and bathroom had hair all over it. We ate at the restaurant a few times for dinner and breakfast... Both were average. I wouldn't stay here again if we come back to Muskegon. The pictures on the website do not even come close to the actual look of the rooms!! The service was great though!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Muskegon, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Dear bkade1987,

I would first like to thank you for taking the time out of your day to write your review of our hotel. I am pleased that you have received great service from our staff. However, I am sorry that we fell below your expectations. Rest assured that your comments about the sheets and the bathroom have been documented and will be forwarded to the appropriate departments for necessary actions. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHG Care

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Clarkston, Michigan
Reviewed September 4, 2012

First off, let me say I was pleasantly surprised by how well maintained the Holiday Inn is in Muskegon. It's in a very nice area next to the theatre and within walking distance of the arena and some nice restaurants. The rooms were okay, decent wi-fi for free, clean, and serviceable. Nice lobby, bar, restaurant and good initial service.

There are a couple of "howevers" - a) The room, because it was a labor day weekend was horribly overpriced at double the usual rate and because the hotel was totally full - they apparently made a killing so it justified the increase I suppose. b) They need a new satellite service or wiring. While I don't go to hotels to watch TV, it was a college football kickoff weekend and the cable/satellite was snowy and popped in and out in the entire building including the bar. Needs to be fixed.

One other note: On our second night an entire family, parents and kids from teen to 3 were running the halls until 1:30 a.m, screaming and yelling for what seems like two hours plus. Why they weren't in their room was beyond me. Two calls downstairs to the desk and a personal reminder to the group of what time it was didn't seem to matter. It was pretty obvious the front desk person didn't really care. Ruined a night we needed to get some sleep because we had to be up at 5:30 a.m. for a fishing trip that morning.

Room Tip: Tell them you don't want to be stuck in front of the elevators like we were.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Wheaton, Illinois
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I stayed here for business this past August and thought this was a pleasant stay. I didn't venture out by foot, but the surrounding area didn't appear to have much to head towards. My window view showed the water very very far away, so I wouldn't choose this location if you want to have a shore-view! There's nothing special about the outside but I found the inside of the hotel to be nicely decorated. The breakfast buffet was pretty good, all the basic hot items as well as fresh cut fruit salad and cereals. The waitstaff were excellent both days, encouraging me to order a second beverage because 'all beverages are included'. Coffee was excellent service was great. If you are a Priority Club member the breakfast buffet is free-certainly can't complain about that! I think the regular price for the buffet was only $5.95 or something so very reasonable. (join PC-it's free to join and the Buffet will be free!) Parking was free-the main lot filled up rather quickly, but I believe there was an additional lot available below. I thought it was odd that an Express didn't have a mini-Frige or a microwave but when I had asked about this they had these available upon request. When I checked in, they immediately brought these up to my room. Room is really big; it almost seemed like more furniture would have fit-but this meant there was no problem fitting the Frige and microwave. I didn't pay for the room but it was a very reasonable rate. I used the fitness room one time-elliptical and treadmill as well as a decent sized indoor pool. Overall I thought this place was nice!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Chicago, IL
Reviewed September 1, 2012

I stayed here in August for a business trip. The location (at least in my opinion) was horrible. Nothing is close by especially if you are travelling with a family and want to go shopping in a mall. It was a 30 minute roundtrip commute to get to the mall. It is close to Lake Michigan though.

Customer service was atrocious. I often heard other guests complaining to the same front desk personell. Upon my arrival I went into my room and noticed my TV only had 8 channels with horrible picture quality. I went to use my desk phone and it did not work. So I had to call the front desk from my cell phone. She had the nerve to tell me my phone must be working because I am calling her from in. In any event she dispatched maintenance who took 50 minutes to arrive. By the time he did I had fixed the TV myself and he attempted to fix my hotel phone - FAIL. It magically started working the day I left.

Bed was comfortable, sheets and blanket were not. Air conditioning was extremely loud and rattled through the night often waking me up.

Be warned - breakfast is NOT included in most rates and the bar/restaurant is overpriced and delivers even worse customer service.

For the rate I paid this place is overpriced and definitely not worth the stress. I will not be staying at this hotel anymore. They need a visit from Gordon Ramsey.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank dabears-mv81
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Muskegon, responded to this review, September 16, 2012
Dear dabears-mv81,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I’m very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. Please accept my sincere apology for the shortcomings you experience during your stay and I regret you received unacceptable service from our front desk staff. I will follow up with the front office to ensure that similar incidents won't happen again.

While we understand that your stay was less than satisfactory, we thank you for sharing your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. I hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Reviewed August 29, 2012

room a little dated, but pool was nice. Not a lot of options in downtown Muskegon. this was about $100/nt less expensive than the shoreline, so all in all, worth it. Restaurant was ok. Can't beat the free breakfast and kids eat free.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank damcone
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Delilah? At the front desk and the female lounge bartender were so helpful with information, service, and understanding that we are traveling long distances with our five year old. He even got a "kiddie cocktail!" at our early dinner in the lounge before the restaurant opened, and she switched the TV to the Olympics for us. A great place for traveling families.

• Stayed August 2012
Detroit, Michigan, United States
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Walking into the hotel you can tell they take pride in their facility. Rooms were great and comfortable beds! Breakfast was great and open late so we could sleep in! Pool was heated and big enough so you never felt overcrowded, also perfect hours 5am - midnight!

Definitely would go again, ten minutes from Michigan adventure!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family