“Wow ... could not believe it was a Best Western”

A Victory Inn & Suites
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Muskegon
Reviewed February 18, 2007

Thought I booked two rooms at a Best Western. Walked through the door and should of walked back out. What a mess.. Broken elevators.. Broken ice machines.. Broken sauna... Horrible smell on the third floor.. No heat in our room.. Highly not recommended!

Stayed: February 2007
3  Thank pratt17450

Reviewed September 3, 2006

Booked our stay via the Best Western website.
I forgot to check tripadvisor for this location, and paid dearly for it.
We are on the return leg of a 3 week holiday, and have used Best Western Hotels for each stay in different locations. Furthermore, we travel regularly and are goldcrownclub members of Best Western.
We selected this hotel as a last resort, since we needed a place to stay overnite prior to boarding the Lake Express ferry from Muskegon to Milwaukee.
The Park Plaza Best Western hotel in Muskegon, Michigan is one of the worst hotels we have stayed in over the last 5 years. The place is extremely run down and dingy. The carpets throughout the hotel halls are dirty and in many paces torn. The carpet in the room was dirty, not vacumed and torn in two places. The corners of the room were dust collectors. The bathroom was extremely tiny and had a broken showerhead.
The pool is a joke, and looked dirty as well. I walked out as I did not want to take a chance with the water.
We did not try the continental breakfast, as we were afraid to touch anything prepared by the people who run this hotel.
Do not gauge this hotel by the photos on their website, as these photos have been doctored and do not represent the reality of this place.
I will lodge a complaint with the corporate Best Western Hotels, as this place does not deserve to carry the Best Western logo.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank jomoud
Reviewed August 20, 2006

Don’t bother! The hotel is very run down and the images on the internet are very misleading. The room was clean, but obviously the whole place is in need of a renovation. The elevator was like a mine shaft, the carpet throughout the hotel was trashed, the soft goods in the room need to be replaced, breakfast was an absolute joke, and the pool was not impressive. We paid $89 a night and could have spent less and gotten the same thing from a cheap motel. First and last time we’ll ever stay in a Best Western.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank cara704
A TripAdvisor Member
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviewed March 31, 2006

I have stayed at this hotel many times in the past because of an arrangement made by my employer. This was the first time I have completely enjoyed my stay.

In the past, I could see that the housekeeping staff were trying to keep up with things, but seemed to be fighting a losing battle. The maintainance crew must not have been on full hours or else needed to go back to school and the front desk employees ... well there was a great deal lacking.

This trip, however, was a complete change. Although carpeting needs replacing in places, and there are items that need to be repaired or tossed... there is a great improvement in all areas.

Everywhere I looked, I could see that there is a different attitude in the hotel staff. The rooms, although clean in the past, are much nicer now. Everything worked and my wakeup was done by a human. The front desk staff were very friendly and went above the call of duty with helping me to find a place to eat in the area since the attached restaurant is currently out of business.

Talking with the Front Desk Manager when I checked out, after I commented on how nice everything was this trip, he told me that there was a change in the hotel' manager and that she was doing a great job in trying to get the hotel back up to the standards it should have been in the last few years.

I agree with him. She has made a tremendous stride in bringing this hotel up from the lower level. Still has a long way to go, but if this trip is any indication, I have no doubt she will take this hotel there.

And my daughter wants me to say that the pool is absolutely wonderful and the people so nice. She is a pretty tough critic... so 2 thumbs up to this hotel in Muskegon Michigan. I will be back!

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled on business
9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 10, 2005

We stayed overnight on August 10th and I will never return.The front desk staff was rude.The girl that checked us in made fun of an illiterate friend of ours,not aware that he was with us. The bathroom was really small and the pool was not heated. The air conditioner in our room was broke and when I asked for someone to look at it I was told that maintainace was gone for the night.Then upon checking out, they tried to charge us again for the room,( we paid cash when we checked in and were told that we didn't get a reciept till we checked out) The hotel property is really run down and its not worth the money. I would strongly suggest staying somewhere else.

• Stayed: August 2005
6  Thank angel_kissed_2003
Reviewed August 7, 2005

We booked to stay at the Best Western Park Plaza the night of the 6th of August and were DISGUSTED on more than one level. No where near the standard of Best Western hotels....

Our non smoking room STANK like a mixture of smoke and air freshner which was sickening. The bathroom was FILTHY and the ground was DIRTY.
The swimming pool was the most horrid thing i have ever seen!!! It was murky and filthy and had odd looking objects at the base of the pool! (if u get my drift)

We did not stay the night and opted to drive back to Grand Rapids to stay at a hotel there.

DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME NOR MONEY!

• Stayed: August 2005
5  Thank Aazadeh
A TripAdvisor Member
Findlay
Reviewed July 5, 2005

We visited the Best Western Park Plaza during the Independence day weekend.

The pictures of the hotel are very misleading on the net. It is in reality a very run down hotel, with a closed night club attached and a parking lot full of weeds.

The room was as rundown as the exterior. It had a damp smell and the floor was dirty. There was also an iron burn on the carpet. The room was also missing it's hair dryer. However the rest of the room was generally clean.

The breakfast room was a joke; it had one type of cereal without any milk. There were empty juice containers everywhere and it was generally in disarray. We left and went across the lot to a family restaurant which was OK.

One plus for the hotel was that it was in a very convenient location for the beach.

• Stayed: July 2005