“Leave your motorcycle at home”

Hoffmaster State Park
Ranked #2 of 39 things to do in Muskegon
Grand Rapids
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Leave your motorcycle at home”
Reviewed August 3, 2009

This used to be my favorite campground up until this last month. If we had taken the truck I think everything would have been fine. Unfortunately we had 2 motorcycles (it was during Bike Time in Muskegon) and I believe we were targeted because of it. They said that the 3 of us were "being loud". We were quietly talking around the fire and had our radio in between us at a low level, it could not be heard from the picnic table, let alone the road!!! The 2 rangers were exceptionally rude for no reason!
And like another review said the showers have very low pressure and once the soap runs out they do not fill it.
We will be staying at another campground next year.

7 Thank bapolinar

London, Ontario
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Nice park but rather small sites”
Reviewed July 21, 2009

We stayed at Hoffmaster for 5 nights. It was our first experience in a US state park. The park is nice but the sites are very small. It is very open and there is little privacy. The park was dead silent every night which may have had something to do with the alcohol ban for this park. The washrooms were amazingly clean. I recommend using the day use beach as it is larger and on less of an incline. The playground is new and there are some nice walking trails. I guess we were just spoiled by the very large sites (about 3 times larger) available in Canada!

2 Thank katman123
Wayland, MI
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“We come back every year”
Reviewed July 15, 2009

We love this campground! We love the creek behind our campground for the kids to play in, the playground is always fun, and the walk to and from the beach is always wears the kiddies out. Our days fly by with swimming half the day, bike riding and the trips to the nature center. We stay a little longer every year.

2 Thank cmprfam4
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 481 helpful votes
“My favorite place on earth. Seriously.”
Reviewed July 11, 2009

I love this park so much that I actually felt defensive when I read the last couple of reviews. Trying not to take it too personally...it was more the campground than the park they reviewed after all LOL.

Hoffmaster is spectacular. The dunes here are gorgeous and the lake front is always changing -- it is almost as fabulous in the winter as it is on a sunny day in July.

The campground is rustic but that's part of the appeal...I love the long walk to the lake and the feeling of actually being in the woods vs. sitting on a concrete slab next to a glowing soda machine. If you want to skip the tent, however, I'd still highly recommend the main park for a daytime visit.

When you enter the main park (entrance is south of the campground) there are two choices: the first driveway leads to a big beach within an easy walk from the car + quick access to bathrooms and a big ole' sand dune just to the right of the entrance. If you are hauling a bunch of little kids and all of their beach gear, this is definitely your best option.

The second driveway in the park leads to the Gillette Nature Center. The center is free and offers a very brief natural history of the dunes. Beyond that is a great woodland trail that leads to a lookout point (many, many stairs later) or access the quieter, more secluded beach in the park. The walk is longer but still doable with a blanket, a picnic lunch and your fav beach gear...just be sure to wear some shoes on the trail.

I love all of the Lake Michigan state parks that we've had the chance to explore, but Hoffmaster is special because of the rolling dunes, the chance to sit on a secluded beach and the absolute beauty of the surrounding forest. If you'd rather hit the sand straight from the parking lot, this probably isn't the park for you -- but if you can handle the walk, the majesty of the lake in this setting can really take your breath away!

6 Thank Eiregirl
Detroit
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“A few improvements and this park would have been great”
Reviewed June 15, 2009

My husband and I stayed here this past weekend for 2 nights. A little bit of our camping history.....This was our second Michigan state park. We stayed at Traverse city state park last summer which we really enjoyed. Hoffmaster had a nice layout with decent sized sites. We camped in a tent. All sites had electricity, fire ring and picnic table We were hoping for the beach to be part of the campground but there wasn't much of beach there. We went to the main state park entrance and went to the beach there which was great. It is only a minute or 2 down the road. We were really disappointed with the restrooms and showers at the campground. In our section there was 1 bottle of soap for the entire bathroom and by the end of the day it was empty. The bathroom always seemed a little dirty. 2 of the toilets weren't in working order. My husbad said his bathroom was similar. I went to another bathroom in another area and saw there was no soap and a lady told me they haven't had any all weekend. The showers were warm at the most with little pressure. Other than that we had a GREAT time. We just wanted to get out and be closer to nature so the bathroom issue wasn't too big of a deal. I would return but hope that the bathrooms are in better working order. You can purchase ice for $2 and firewood for $4 a bundle. We were about 10 minutes away from most major restaurants and stores.....Meijer, Walmart etc. Happy Camping!

4 Thank travelgrlDetroit