“Pretty buuutttt......”

Hoffmaster State Park
Ranked #3 of 44 things to do in Muskegon
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Where the campground is nice, you are actually camping in the woods (with trees) unlike some other campgrounds, the beach is beautiful and private and lots of hiking and bike trails. There was some oddities that made this campground not one of my favorite state parks

#1
NO alcohol permitted~ so if you are the type that likes to have a few drinks after the kids go to bed or are planning a weekend with friends this is not the place for you, Now i did not see anyone driving around enforcing this rule but i have not had to snick a drink for 15 years and would rather not start again

#2
A lot of the lots were covered in gravel. This made no sense to me. Who wants to pitch a tent or hang out on gravel. I spent over a hour racking away a place for my son to sit a play on the ground without having to worry about him getting hurt on the gravel. And trying to dodge the gravel lots are like playing Russian roulette. There spread out and there’s no way to know before booking if you’re getting one of them.

#3
The beach is a bit of a hike up and down sand. So hauling your children and all their things can be exhausting

And when booking STAY AWAY from the bridge leading to the playground. It a magnet to the kids and is VERY noisy. Now i do not mind the kids at all but you will not have a moment of silence till it goes dark to relax and read or take naps. It’s not happening at the sites around that bridge and creek

I would probably go back to this park because it was pretty but i think i would like to try other in the area before I do.

2  Thank Carrie S

Reviewed August 14, 2013

We loved the Hoffmaster State Park, all you need is a State Park pass which was $11 and you have assess to a fun filled day of sightseeing, climbing, sand dunes, and the beach was picture perfect.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

I love going to Hoffmaster. They have seemingly endless trails to hike on. Lots of nature trails, multiple accesses to the beach, and a welcome/nature center that I haven't been to in years but definitely recommend if you have children (I am unsure of the nature center's hours). There are places to go to just enjoy a picnic and they also have a campground. I love coming here in the spring and fall to hike, and in the summer to go to the beach. In the summer, the main beach (first parking lot on right) is always crowded, but if you go to the beach from the second parking lot (it's a bit of a walk down the trail) it's a lot less crowded though there isn't as much sand area to put out blankets as the first lot, there is a TON of waterfront here so if you're looking to walk the beach or swim and don't care about laying out, I recommend the second beach access. . . the walk back up the dune to the trail is a GREAT work out! I know that people often cross country ski here in the winter though I have never done that. This is a state park so you do have to pay (I recommend the yearly pass, it's the best deal, if you're a local... if just for the day I believe it is $6 or $8).

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Living in Muskegon for many years now I have visited the Hoffmaster State Park many times. Simply put this is a Awesome Natural Habitat ! This park is Huge and Spacious. It has many fine attractions and activities to offer for the single traveler or for the entire family. The campgrounds at Hoffmaster are Truly Professional and So Awesome ! The rates at this park are Extremely Reasonable ! The ' Standout Attraction ' at Hoffmaster Park is the ' So Awesome " beach and Gorgious and Huge Lake ! Muskegon is so honored to have a Landmark Attraction like the Fine Hoffmaster State Park. The next time you visit Muskegon please visit the Fine Hoffmaster Park--you will be fascinated with this Great Attraction of Nature--I will guarantee it !!

Reviewed July 29, 2013

I always meet nice people at this beach. The sand is not real great this year because of the spring flood. The nature center beyond the beach is a place my grandkids love to visit! They have live animals down the basement and educational info about the dunes upstairs.