“Wonderful” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lake Express

Lake Express
Ranked #1 of 7 Tours in Muskegon
More attraction details
Owner description: Lake Michigan car-passenger ferry that runs between Muskegon and Milwaukee.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities
Minneapolis
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 123 helpful votes
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

Anything that will spare us the agony of Chicago traffic is better than nothing. This is a great way to get across the lake. I will not pay the extra charge for first-class in the future. That part is a waste of money. Otherwise, great.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Hans50

Michigan
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Very well run!! Great experience! (but beware)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

Airfare from Detroit to Milwaukee was an obnoxious $385 and Lake Express was the perfect alternative. The web site made it easy to book and was very thorough in explaining all that needed to be done to travel with LakeExpress. I arrived an hour before and was greeted very professionally and just hung out and used the free wi-fi until the boat came in ready to board. The way they cleared the boat and reloaded it with passengers was right on time and flawless.. The boat was brand new looking and much better than I had imagined it to be inside. Comfortable chairs and nice tables with television screens in every section. The food and drink bar opens immediately after take off and offered just enough items without going overboard.. The experience going there was perfect as we only encountered 4 foot waves on our route to Milwaukee.. On the way back, it would have been the same rave reviews if it wasn't for my own issues. ;) We were warned in the lobby before our voyage that the waves were to be 6-8 feet and they offered a motion sickness pill for those who may not be good with this much movement. I wasn't sure so I took some as a precautionary measure.. 30 minutes into the ride, the waves got the best of me.. I never got outwardly sick but I thought I was going to die. I've never felt so awful in my whole entire life. An hour into the trip I went to the outdoor-upper deck to get some fresh air and look at the horizon to settle myself and I found several people up there laying on their stomachs on deck in sickness. I sat on a bench and just closed my eyes on this beautiful 60 degree sunny day and prayed for shore. Once I saw land about 25 minutes til docking, I was mentally feeling better and got up to take some beautiful photos of the Michigan shoreline and dunes..
As far as a service goes, LakeExpress gets every bit of a 10 for performance and service and cleanliness and professionalism....but please beware, if you are vulnerable to motion sickness, you can't predict what the trip will be like.. For this reason, I honestly am sad to say, I felt so awful that I will never get on this boat again.. And for those who take the anti-motion sickness medication, there is a McDonald parking lot not far away that is great for a 1 and 1/2 hour crash. zzzzzz... The medication made me SO TIRED but didn't work.

Visited October 2013
4 Thank gcwaz
Michigan
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 110 helpful votes
“Smooth Sailing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

My husband and I took the Lake Express from Muskegon MI to Milwaukee WI We had made reservations in advance so we wouldn't encounter any problems.
For what we paid for us and our car to cross the lake I thought the price was reasonable.
The entire procedure of loading cars and people on the ferry was so well organized. The ferry had a small place to get food while on board.
We didn't pay for the premium seating as it is as good as standard seating. Very comfortable chairs, some have tables in front of them. The seating is like in an airplane only more comfortable.There are many windows to see out and you are able to walk around and stretch your legs. The trip took 2 and 1/2 hours.
We are planning on doing it again next October.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank Sue49321
West Linn, Oregon
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Saved us time getting to Michigan”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

The Lake Express Ferry saved us several hours of driving from Milwaukee to Michigan. We took the 6 am ferry after a night of electrical storms and heavy rain. What can I say, the water was very rough. Several passengers got sick, luckily we did not. I could not read as I planned, but found watching Monsters Inc on the flat screen helped settle my stomach. The ferry ride was rocky, but the staff was great, checking on people throughout the trip. It was too rough to be on deck, but would love to try it on a nice day. Still a pleasant experience and would definitely try it again.

Visited September 2013
2 Thank snootifox
Wyoming, Michigan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“I like ferryboats :)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

This trip was likely cheaper than driving roundtrip to and from Milwaukee to visit my brother. The ferry seems to always be on time. They are efficient in the loading/unloading process. On a warm, calm day it can be fun to sit in the chairs on the lower deck for the whole trip, but is usually probably nicer to sit inside once the boat reaches cruising speed. The only negative aspect is that if you do not find a seat right when you get on the ferry or you do not save a seat if you go outside on the deck while the ferry is leaving the dock, it is extremely difficult to find a seat in the cabin when you go back inside. People save multiple seats and tell you that someone is sitting there, even if only one other person or even no one else is sitting there and they have saved at least one of the seats for their belongings. Assigned seating, as on airplanes, would help with this, but so far, the ferry does not do this.

Visited September 2013