“Better than expected”

Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Muskegon
Sylvania, Ohio
“Better than expected”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

We decided to stay outside of Grand Rapids for our annual trip to ArtPrize this year and certainly glad we did. This Fairfield Inn is keeping to the Marriott brand promise very well with a knowledgeable friendly staff and a very well kept property. The rooms as well as all the public areas were very clean even the often problematic breakfast area was orderly. I would say the only downside is the walls are very thin fortunately our room was on the upper floor at the end of the hallway so noise for us was at a minimum but I could see how rooms in the center part of the hotel would be noisier. I certainly would stay at this hotel again next time I am in the area.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AAA_David
FairfieldMKGNS, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Muskegon Norton Shores, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a fantastic review! Our entire staff works extremely hard to create a memorable experience for all of our guests. We appreciate the business and look forward to your return!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Lynchburg, Virginia
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We stay at this hotel when we return to Muskegon each year. The management has done a good job of updating the facility. They also significantly improved their complementary breakfast offerings. The staff is very friendly and accomodating.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank NDMIII
FairfieldMKGNS, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Muskegon Norton Shores, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Thank you for the nice review and the great comments! We did just finish up a renovation, updating items including the breakfast, guest room bathrooms, suites and some public areas. I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay here and I welcome you back next time you are in Muskegon!
West Bloomfield, MI
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I selected this hotel because all the hotels of beach area were sold out. During the summer vacation season, this is a so expensive hotel, considering its quality. However, it is located in a very convenient area, a kind of downtown. I think it is better than beach area.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
FairfieldMKGNS, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Muskegon Norton Shores, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. I am glad that you found our location to be very convenient, it is nice having all the restaurants, shops and beaches so close by! I hope you stop by again next time you are in Muskegon!
Bloomingdale, Illinois
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights and were very happy. Room was very clean, quiet and comfortable. The Breakfast was included and had many choices - from cereal to scrambled eggs, sausage and waffles. Everything tasted great. The location was very close to a shopping mall, yet 1-2 miles from the beach. We even found the blueberry farm 2 miles away. What a find!

Room Tip: we stayed on the first floor end room and it was quiet and convenient to get to the car.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Suz979
Thank you for the wonderful review! I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay here at our hotel. We hope that next time you are in the area you will remember our hotel!
Farmington Hills, Michigan
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Fairfield Inn
We stayed over last weekend for a vacation to the beaches of Lake Michigan.
Pros:
I was told it was recently refurbished and I must say it looks like a new hotel. It was spotlessly clean. The staff was very friendly. I’d rate the breakfast above average and there was plenty of seating even when it got busy. The room had a refrigerator and microwave. There are a number of dining options close to the hotel. The beach was only a short drive away.
Cons:
The room seemed smaller than any of the other Fairfield Inns we’ve ever stayed in. The bed was so hard I had trouble sleeping and although they called it a king it was smaller than any king I’ve ever seen. There is an inside pool and hot tub but they are also remarkably small (I’d say the room they were in is about one third the size of the one at the Fairfield Inn in Aurora, Colorado). Finding the hotel the first time was a little tricky. Two of the three ice makers weren't working. At $377 for the weekend I’d say it was a bit overpriced for what you get.

If It were not for the Marriott points we earned for staying there I’ve have went somewhere else simply because I felt it was a rather poor value.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
FairfieldMKGNS, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Muskegon Norton Shores, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Thank you so much for taking time to write this review. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, however, I do apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced at our hotel. Please know we strive to exceed all of our guests expectations and I am sorry that didn't happen during your stay. I invite you to return to our hotel next time you are in the area.
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for three nights. We were visiting Grand Haven State Park, Holland, and the Michigan's Adventure amusement park. The hotel was very convenient for accessing these three areas. In fact, the location was in between Grand Haven and Michigan's Adventure, so it is a good location to stay for people who will be visiting both areas.

First, the positives.

(1) As stated above, great location. The area was safe and had a suburban feel to it: a shopping mall was right there, lots of restaurant choices, and easy access to US-31.
(2) The property was relatively new (or recently remodeled?) The common areas, bedding, furnishings, etc., felt modern and clean.
(3) The staff was polite and accommodating.
(4) The complimentary breakfast was good. Same types of foods you would expect (waffle maker, scrambled eggs, yogurt, etc.), but also a few items we did not expect, like fresh oatmeal with walnuts, raisins, and brown sugar.
(5) Clean pool and hot tub area - pretty small, but nice nonetheless.

Only a couple negatives:
(1) Room size was small. We had two adults and three kids. We brought an inflatable air mattress for one of the kids and we were squeezed in pretty tight. Even without the air mattress, the room was on the smaller side. Shouldn't be a problem for just two or three people, but if you go beyond that, you'll feel a bit crowded.
(2) The price. We paid ~ $170 a night, and after taxes it was closer to almost $200/night. That's a lot of money for a chain property of this quality.

However, all things considered, given how nice we thought the property was and how much we liked the location, we would stay there again. We recommend it.

Room Tip: We stayed on the first floor, only a few doors down from the breakfast area, but it was still quiet...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Kortma
Thank you so much for the wonderful review! We did indeed just go through a renovation, recently updating many items in our hotel in the guest rooms, public areas and breakfast. I am glad that you enjoyed the accommodations and the staff and I hope that if you return to the Muskegon area again you will stay at our hotel!
DeKalb, IL
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We selected this hotel because of its proximity to PJ Hoffmaster State Park. It's also right next to a mall which was convenient. The double beds were too small for our family of four. The air conditioning barely worked the whole time we were there. I don't think our room ever got cooler than 78 degrees. The pool is tiny. Pricey too. I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013
FairfieldMKGNS, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Muskegon Norton Shores, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced at our hotel. Please know we strive to exceed all of our guests expectations and I am sorry that didn't happen during your stay. I invite you to return so that you may see this is an isolated incident and hopefully, upon your return, you will regain confidence in our hotel.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Muskegon
Hampton Inn Muskegon
#1 of 6 in Grand Haven
Comfort Inn Muskegon
Comfort Inn Muskegon
#7 of 12 in Muskegon

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Muskegon Norton Shores? Share your experiences!