“If you love history, you will love these homes.”

Hackley and Hume Historic Site
Ranked #7 of 38 things to do in Muskegon
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Hackley and Hume Historic Site features the restored homes of Muskegon's most well-known lumber barons with outstanding wood carving, stained glass windows, and period furnishings. A guided tour of the homes offers visitors a look at life in the late 1800s and early 1900s. During the summer months, there are often games on the lawn for our young visitors. The Site is open from May to October.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities
Norton Shores, Michigan, United States
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“If you love history, you will love these homes.”
Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

I have lived in the area most of my life and cannot count the number times I have toured these homes. Every time I go I wish that I could spend a few days there checking out every inch if the residences-but I LOVE most things relating to history. The first time I went, I think I was only 8, and I have enjoyed going back ever since.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Jennifer-Michigan

Detroit, Michigan
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Beautiful Historic Homes”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

MY wife and I had a chance to tour the Hakely and Humes homes and were blown away by the care and detail put into the homes. The architecture is gorgeous and the wood carvings are fantastic! The homes may not have AC, but the tour does offer hand fans to keep cool on the hour long tour of these two beautiful homes.

I only wish we could have viewed the thrid floor of the Hackley home (it was closed for renovations, sadly). If you ike turn of hte centruy architecture or are interested in history at all, I recommend stopping by for a tour.

Louisville, Kentucky
579 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 433 helpful votes
“Trip Back In Time”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I you enjoy Victorian homes, you will certainly enjoy touring these homes. Tour costs $5 but, it is well worth the price. You get a guided tour of the barn and both houses by a very knowledgeable guide. Our tour was 1 1/2 hour tour. The young lady who lead us had many details about the family and their history. It was really, really good.

Louisville, Kentucky
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Loved it!”
Reviewed July 4, 2013

I was so amazed by the two houses. Our guide was extremely knowledgeable and made the tour such a delight. There was a young lady dressed as a period "maid" who let us in the Hackley House and talked about her duties.
The wood carvings are amazing, and the stained glass windows are breathtaking. I was so impressed by the restoration Muskegon has done on these two Victorian homes. The tour guide explained that when there was a question about restoration, such as stenciling in some of the rooms, they would not do the work unless they were absolutely sure it was historically accurate.
We also took the trolley ride through the town. Our driver and tour guide was a Muskegon history teacher. Best 60 cents we've spent in a long time!

Chicago, Illinois
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Amazing home”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

The wood carving in this house is amazing, It is completely furnished in the period it was built. The guides are extremely knowledgeable about the house and the family that built it. The tour fee was so reasonable that it cost almost nothing to see the 2 homes. Highly recommend it. I have toured Lloyed-Wright homes, and this one is just as good.

Visited June 2013