“The Best Little Place in Muskegon!”
Review of Belaire Motel

Belaire Motel
Belaire Motel
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Muskegon
Vicksburg, Michigan
“The Best Little Place in Muskegon!”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Joan, (the owner) has been like a grandmother to the dozen or so of us who, wouldnt come to Muskegon Bike Time without her! She and her excellent motel staff have been as much or more of an experience for our large group as the city based activities! We, (collectively) recommend Joan and her clean, home-like hotel for anyone wanting to experience Muskegon at its finest!

There is absolutely no comparison. If you want the real experience, stay at the Belaire!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank stephan m

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
OR
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I phoned this motel first to confirm that they could rent me a room with an internet connection. When I checked in, I asked if my room would have an internet connection. I was told "yes" and provided an ethernet cable. Upon checking into room #21, I could find no ethernet port anywhere in the room. I phoned the front desk. The woman who checked me in came to my room and began searching for an ethernet port. She could not find one either. She asked me to wait while she returned to the office. After waiting fifteen minutes, I loaded all my luggage back into the rental and returned to the front desk to check out. The same woman who checked me in told me she was merely the housekeeper, that she did not know how to refund the charge to my credit card, that her employer had left alone, untrained, and uninformed, and that there was nothing she could do. It is apparent that this motel will soon be out-of-business and that you should bring your business to the local Holiday Inn Express or Red Roof Inn.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere: try the local Holiday Inn Express or Red Roof Inn.
Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank autoharper
Muskegon, Michigan
Reviewed November 13, 2012

My adventure started at BayMont hotel. I have stayed there many times with no hic-hups. Well I had my dog this time and she was over the weight restrictions. Baymont recommend BelAir motel because they accept dogs. On the way, I called Bel-Air to check availabilty and price. The receptions was very friendly and told me to stop by to check out their rooms. When I arrived, I rang the bell as the sign instructed. I waited for 10 minutes before being addressed and when I was, it was an elderly women in her bra!! After getting dressed and coming to the desk we were bombarded with the owner's dogs and questions. Why did we want a room? Why were in town? I felt invaded. I let her know that Baymont recommend them and I have a dog. She said the room was 65$ on the phone, but talking with her face to face, she said it was a discount because of Baymont, she knew nothing on the phone about the other hotel when she quoted me 65 on the phone. When I stayed it was Veterans day and I asked if they do military discount,because I am in the Air Force and I was told that the 65 dollar price was a military discount. Ok, I am not fussy and let that all slide, the motel is close to the highway and I get up at 430am for work, so the location was convient. During the first hour of my stay, my room had heating issue. The lower you set the heat, the higher the temperture got in the room. There was a knock at the door at 7pm to check the theromastate. I did not call,so how did they know the heat had issue. Then the tv was not working properly,so I call the office. Two people can down and neither could get it to work right and I asked why the sign said free showtime in the rooms when they really don't have it. There was really no anwser. At this point I am a little annoyed since I paid for two days. I called the office to see if I could switch rooms, to one with a properly working tv, and was told I would need to pay 20. more dollars on top of the 172 dollars I have already paid. As the night went on, I went to bed. I received three phone calls this first night. One at 11:30, 2:30,3:30, and no one was at the other end. I got up for work at 4:30am tired and just plain mad. I felt taken advantage of, for the 172.dollars I paid, my TV should have worked. The bathroom had small black hairs along the rim of the tub and there was no shampoo or conditioner in the bathroom. I have never experienced anything like this ever before in a hotel or motel. I had only been in the room for 5 minutes from work when there was a knock on my door asking me to move my car a couple of inches back so they could clean the gutters. Within a hour of that there was another knock on my door when I answered it a man was standing there asking me for my credit card number and my license plate number. I told him no and that I would call the office. I called the office and found out that they had actually sent him down for the information instead of asking me to come to the office. That is very unprofessional. About another twenty minutes later he came back and knocked on the door to let me know that my dog should go in the back because there are sand burs in the front. What hotel or motel have you ever gone to where you are bothered by the workers? I then complained to the owner Joan about what was going on but got no response twice. They actually asked me to move rooms for a better TV and said that the heater was a lot better yeah right. What a joke same ole TV and the heater wasn't any different. I then called the office and talked to a girl named Sam about how unhappy I was with all of this stuff going on she said she would talk to the owner and get back to me. After a few hours with no response I called back and talked to Joan about talking to Sam when she proceeded to tell me that Sam doesn't work for her she is just a nanny for someone who lives here what a mess. I asked for a discount from the owner and never received a call back. I will however report them to the better business bureau as a result of my stay here. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone. I have stayed at many hotels due to the Air Force and have never received this kind of treatment in my life.

Room Tip: Check reviews before booking, and if your looking for a good hotel in muskegon go to Baymont.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank amber k
Reviewed September 15, 2012

Ok, #3 in Muskegon might be a little lofty.

We used this motel as housing for our bridal party.

The motel is older and small, the owner however, made up for it.

The owner treated us like family, she even shed a tear when we left! :,)

When we left several items at the motel (including ones valued at least $400) she called and returned them to us.

Loved the owner

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed September 1, 2012

The rate was reasonable and the place was clean, clean, clean! It is dated...but I'm not using the decor to decorate my home, so it was fine. The bathroom was just spotless. The shower was the tiniest I have EVER seen though. If you're a big guy you'd definitely have been ducking your head!

The owner clearly keeps the place up and invests in the property. When we first drove up I could tell that this place was going to be okay...no peeling paint or trashy corners. Bottom line: I'd stay here again.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Chelsea, Michigan
Reviewed August 27, 2012

After reading the other tripadvisor reviews, I had higher hopes for this motel. Upon first glance, the room was so-so. Nothing to write home about, but not bad either. It was clean, but it smelled kind of old and musty, and despite being a non-smoking room, it smelled a bit like an ashtray. I know that this is not a 5 star resort, and I am by no means a fussy person, but they don't even supply you with hand soap in the bathroom. We had to go to the Meijer up the road and buy our own. The biggest issue I had with my stay at the Bel Aire Motel was the amount we were charged for our room. We were quoted $60 less than what we were charged when we arrived. We were put in room 16, which is a 2 bed room, according to their website. When we got in our room, the door to the second bed was locked. We went back to the office and asked if we could have it unlocked and she seemed very irritated and said, "Why?! Are you guys going to sleep separate or something?! I don't understand why you need that room unlocked." First of all, we PAID FOR ADJOINING ROOMS WITH 2 BEDS AND WERE NOT ALLOWED ACCESS TO THE SECOND BED and second of all, why are our sleeping arrangements anyone else's business? There were several rooms available when we booked and for some reason, the 2 of us were put in a room with 2 beds and then were not allowed to use them both. She tried to say that we were not charged full price, but if that were the case, I don't think she would have wasted one of her 2 bed rooms on us when we could have been placed in one of the single bed rooms that were available. The horseshoe pits were fun, and I think that volleyball would have been fun too, had the ball been inflated. Another issue I had with this motel was the bed. It was pretty uncomfortable, which is not normally a big enough problem to mention, but there were rubber sheets on the bed! The slightest movement on the bed made a ton of noise and woke us up in the middle of the night. Also, some of the other guests seemed kind of shady. There was a group of people a couple of rooms down drinking beer and smoking pot right outside the door. The guys a couple of rooms down in the other direction sat outside and smoked cigarettes and drank half the night. It is definitely not a family friendly motel and I did not feel safe sitting outside without my husband with me. The only redeeming qualities that this motel has are the housekeeping staff (very nice and friendly) and that it is pet friendly. I would not stay at this motel again, nor would I recommend it to anyone else. I think that you could find a better quality room and get better service for the same price (or less) at many of the nearby hotels/motels. I was highly disappointed with my stay and will never return.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Rechal P
chicago
Reviewed August 26, 2012

My family of seven stayed at the Belaire Motel this July. The Bel Aire was just what we were looking for, a clean safe place to stay after we played the entire day at Michigan Adventures. The female owner was very welcoming and has a nice area set up in back of the motel for guests. It had a tent, horseshoe pit, volley ball court, fire pit and I am sure a few things I am forgeting to mention. The owner lives on the property. Our family gives this place a 5 rating, but this is a old-fashioned MOTEL, not a hotel, so it is not for everyone. If you are looking for all the bells and whistles, this is NOT the place for you. For us it was great !!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family