All reviewscorner roomfull size fridgerestaurant next doorthe lake house restaurantoutdoor poolmuskegon lakesliding glassbeautiful hotelwater viewoverlooking the marinafloor to ceiling windowsopen hoursadjacent restaurantbeautiful roomking bedcontinental breakfastupon check
Reviewed October 17, 2012 via mobile

My traveling partner and I stayed one night and found the place to be wonderful. We took advantage of their mid season rates and had a deluxe corner king which I would recommend. Very comfortable king bed, balcony, jacuzzi in the room, fireplace, very spacious. Very professional desk staff. I highly recommend this hotel

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank EatingRaoul
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I have been staying at the Shoreline almost every year since just about two weeks after it opened (several years ago now). This year, however, when we stayed during the International Buster Keaton Society Convention, was the best by far.

We had swift, friendly check-in, and our room was nice and quiet. Reservations were handled correctly and efficiently, and we were offered assistance with return of the luggage cart. The room was the right size and perfectly comfortable for our needs, and when we needed to call the desk for assistance, they attended to our request immediately.

What I found amazing was that, after we checked out, we went to the post office only to discover that it was Columbus Day (a fact that had slipped our minds). We returned to the Shoreline and explained that we had several items that needed mailing, and that we were leaving the country very early the next morning and thus couldn't do it ourselves. The clerk on duty, Sam Penning, was a rock star about it. She figured out how much postage we needed, found stamps in the desk and took care of it for us. She even had change handy for the bill I had in hand to buy the stamps.

I expect a hotel to be clean and comfortable, and I expect the staff to be friendly. What is above and beyond, however, is when they see a weird, difficult situation like the one I presented, and fix it almost without being asked. I was just looking around to see if any of my fellow Buster Keaton fans were still at the hotel, so that they could mail these items for me; Sam saw the issue and made it a non-issue. Service like that is not common, and it should be very highly rewarded.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor facing the harbor, because the higher rooms are quieter, and the harbor provides a beautiful view.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Stayed here for a wedding. This hotel is owned by the choice hotel group. Very appealing from the exterior and right on the marina. The decor is very classical and has a unique look. Nice comfy chairs outside of the elevators too.

The rooms are nice and spacious. However, the beds are not very comfortable and very squeaky. Pillows aren't the best either.

Nice pool with 2 hot tubs.

Breakfast is ok. Coffee, fruit, and waffles. Standard continental.

Great bar and restaurant next door. Not sure how this location relates to the downtown area. Great to be on the lake though.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 20, 2012

I stayed at this hotel this past weekend for the Michigan Irish Fest. While I absolutely loved the hotel, its location and the facilities, the incompetence of the billing department of the hotel has made the stay a total nightmare. We asked that the bill be split 3 ways, and gave them 3 debit cards, one for each person listed on the room bill. We received a receipt showing all 3 cards being used to pay the bill. However, my card was the only one debited. I've now spent several days trying to get this fixed. My checking account was depleted 100%, and their solution to me was to "dispute the charge". They seem to have no comprehension of the inconvenience they have caused me, and despite telling me that money would be back in my account no later than today, I am still waiting for the funds to be returned to me, though my friends tell me the hotel was very quick to debit their accounts once the error was pointed out to them, in effect now giving the hotel nearly twice the amount of money they are actually owed. The hotel tells me that they have released the funds to my account, my bank tells me that they have no record of the funds being returned, just a record of the funds being debited. In reading the reviews of the hotel here on Tripadvisor, I notice a very similar story of mis-billing from another poster for this same weekend, making me truly wonder what is up with the staff of the billing department of the hotel. I would heartily recommend the hotel and its facilities to anyone, but I would also caution them to pay only in cash, up front!! And don't expect them to get that right.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms on the lake side. Gorgeous views. Some top floor reviews have actual balconies, which make them all that much more appealing.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We were in town for this year's Irish Festival and were delighted with our stay at this Hotel. We found our room to be clean and comfortable. All of the staff was extremely friendly and helpful during our visit. While the hotel is a bit out of the way it is still very convenient to the downtown and festival area. The extra five minute walk was no problem and well worth it. Having the Lake House Grill available next door was great. The food and service there was fantastic. We will make it a point to stay here on our next trip to Muskegon !!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple