“What a super nice place!”

L'Auberge du Veilleur
Ranked #4 of 16 Restaurants in Turckheim
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 3, 2019 via mobile

On a cold January I evening, my wife and I went to this place without a reservation. The restaurant was almost full, but we did get the only table left. You quickly sense that this is indeed a family restaurant, many amongst the guest seemed to know each other and staff/owner and their adorable children, all created an unforgettable atmosphere of truly welcoming kindness.

Although young (my guess would be mid twenties), the chef prepared us a lovely dinner - not fancy, not “haute cuisine” but a vey honest extremely tasty Alsatian dinner. Having visited quite a number of restaurants in Alsace, including the fancy ones, I can only but conclude, that this young chef certainly knows what he is doing. Including how to make a a top class “Foie gras” - probably one of the finest “foie gras terrine” I have had, served with a sirup/jelly made of quince! The Wine card is slim but nice - and includes some of the top Alsace wine producers, including Zind-Humbrecht.

Prices are very modest - that goes for the wine as well. Don’t believe I have ever been in a restaurant where you could buy Zind-Humbrecht wines for just about 35€ a bottle!!!

For some odd reason, we have never been here before, despite the fact that we have been in Turckheim at least 40 times during the last 25 years - what a shame...but can not wait to be back!

Date of visit: January 2019

Reviewed September 19, 2017

On a recommendation from our Hotel concierge we went to Auberge du Veilleur for dinner. It was a busy evening, but any tourist driven restaurant should be able to cope with this! The food was very poor. My wife had the "hamburger" - cold, lifeless and dreadful. I had Foie Gras which was very mediocre and then the Steak Tartare - which came up as a slab of mince with a couple of spices and herbs to the side. It was dreadful! restaurants such as this give the better restaurants a bad name. Summary? Poor food, cramped space, bad service, too expensive.

Date of visit: September 2017
1  Thank tullidge
Reviewed August 17, 2017

We hadn't booked but we were seated straight away but a little out of the way. The food was good, we had 2 steaks, a carafe of pinot noir, creme brulee & a Kougelhopf for 67E. You can walk straight out of the restaurant into the main square where the night watchman appears every night at 10pm. I loved my dessert the Kougelhopf, unfortunately I discovered this traditional dessert a bit too late as this was our last night in the region.

Date of visit: June 2017
Reviewed October 20, 2016

It took me 50 years to get to eat there. When I used to go to Turckheim, I ate at l'hotel des 2 clefs when they had a restaurant. On this visit I decided to try it. Great decision! The Alsacien food was wonderful, the staff was very friendly. We had 3 different dishes, they were all impeccable. We moved to the bar to have a nice after dinner drink, the bar tender was very friendly and offered us a round. Definitely a restaurant to visit.

Date of visit: June 2016
Reviewed July 22, 2016

We had dinner here on a very busy evening. The place was completely full but we managed to get a table without reservation. Even with so many customers, everything went smoothly with a very efficient staff. Food wasn't unforgettable, but given the price we were more than happy with it! All in all, a good experience.

Date of visit: July 2016