“Amazing”

and up
Blue and Green Cave Speedboat Tour from Hvar
Ranked #1 of 14 things to do in Vis
Reviewed January 13, 2014

This is really one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen! It looks like something you see in a movie! It's a tough climb to get there but it's worth it!

1  Thank Maja M
in 2 reviews
"paradise on earth"
in 2 reviews

Reviewed November 10, 2013

So, my friend and I were staying in Komiza for several days and for our last day we planned on renting a car or a quad and going alongside the coast, beach hopping. Unfortunately weather wasn't really good, and after braving the wind and the curvy road on the quad, we finally managed to reach Stiniva. We probably didn't go faster than 40 km/ph but with the strong wind, we were bent forward and our hair was flying wild as if we were racing, to the amusement of the overtaking cars...
(btw, going around Vis on a scooter, on a windy day, is not a really good idea).

Now, I've seen photos of Stiniva cove online, but somehow all of them were either taken right at the beach or from the air (or so I thought). Turns out the cove is a steep, rocky downhill way down from the road and the parking.
There's even a sign saying you're descending at your own risk.

I'm not afraid of heights, but am afraid of falling and cutting myself in pieces on sharp rocks.

As I couldn't miss the chance to go and see such a wonder of nature (not to mention the humiliation in front of my friend, a descent of Kilimanjaro climbers), I decided to take the plunge (almost literally). I'll be honest and say right away that I'm overweight and not really fit.

Down we went in our flip-flops. After 5 min od descend, some people going uphill told us to put trainers on because it'll be easier and safer. So we did, although it was a challenge to keep the balance while putting them on (nowhere to sit, nothing to hold onto).

After 10min of descend, I was all dusty, sweaty, puffy, my legs were shaking, my dress had holes in it from catching on the grubs...

While I was holding onto the tough Mediterranean grubs for my dear life (highly recommended!), my (more fit) friend was happily snapping away selfies with the cove in the background and commenting what a paradise on earth this is. All I thought was "Good thing we're already in paradise, because I'm going to die here". I didn't allow my friend to take photos of me during the descent because my face looked like a tomato.

Near the end, I forgot about dignity and decided to do it 'caterpillar style'.

The path is not exactly 'made' and at some points it's not even clear which way it goes. But the biggest problem are crumbling rocks and unstable stones.

People going up told us it's definitely worth it and that it will be much easier on the way up (they lied!) .

So, after some 25min we finally came down. It took me some time to recover before soaking in the surroundings. The rocks surrounding the cove are wonderful and there were some people rock climbing and then just letting go, falling into the sea.

Despite the wind and clouds, there were many people at the tiny beach.
There is one cafe/bar/restaurant right on the beach, and while prices were a bit higher than in a local town, they weren't extortionate. There's an upper deck of the bar, which offers a beautiful view.

The sea wasn't cold despite the wind and rain, and even if it was, there was no way in hell I'd miss swimming in there after such an effort to get there!

The sea is crystal clear, with many fish you can enjoy observing if you have a mask and a snorkel. There was one lost sea urchin, probably brought in by the waves, but other than that, no other danger.

The way up...I nearly died. I almost told my friend to go and just leave me there, because I didn't think I would make it. Luckily, she entertained herself with another round of selfies and that gave me time to catch up.

I am glad I visited Stiniva Cove (and survived it) but I am not going there again unless I'm coming from the sea, by a boat, or they install some kind of cable system.

8  Thank Mamainak
Reviewed October 10, 2013

We did a day of driving around Vis and touring the most recommended beaches. We had been advised that Stiniva was a bit of a hike, but that if we walked just a little way down, we could see a view of it and then head back up to the road. Well, we hiked for half an hour down a rocky, steep trail before catching a glimpse of it, and at that point we were not even halfway down. And even from there we could see that it was crowded and hear a stereo blasting from one of the boats. I don't get it - why does anyone climb down this cliff to get to this overrun beach? We loved the quieter beaches we visited, which were equally beautiful and only required 5 minutes walking down a gentle slope to reach. This one is not worth it, unless you arrive by boat.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

My husband and I came on scooter from the town of Vis to the parking lot where the trail to the Stiniva beach began. I hiked down in 15 minutes and reached the beautiful, silent beach with clear water waiting to swim. The fisherman house on the beach was closed because it was begining of October.
Perfect place for tooke some pictures for remember.