“Feels Like Home”

Dining options: Reservations
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Feels Like Home”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Konoba Pol Murvu is one of the best kept secrets on the island. Word of caution, this is not a restaurant in a classical sense, experience is more like visiting islander's house and eating what they would eat themselves. If you're ok with that, you're ready for this konoba. Located off the beaten track, it maintains the quality well worth a drive.

The best seating is under the mulberry tree which gives the tavern its name.

What impressed me upfront was integrity of the service, this is the only place in Croatia where I was informed about sources of food which helped me make the right choices. Staff is very nice and you do feel genuinely welcome.

Homemade cheese was excellent, and so was the lamb consommé we ordered for starters. We came quite late, pasticada was gone already, so we settled for grilled lamb and squids. Excellent, exactly how my mom would make it!

Wines are reasonably priced, but we went for the corked one, with all due respect to local winemaking.

Lavender cookies for desert were excellent and so was the carob brandy. All in all excellent experience, looking forward to coming again.

Prices are reasonable, significantly lower than those in Komiza and Vis. Don't expect McDonalds pricing, however.

Recommendation: If you want to taste the food islanders would eat themselves and honest and no nonsense service, this is the place for you. If you're into more formal experience or rock bottom prices, better look elsewhere.

1 Thank FoodEliminator

• Serbian first
Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
“Exotic pleace”
Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

I like exotic places as this one. No people around, good food! Nice people. Works in sommer "just" six monts in year.

2 Thank TripHaris
Frankfurt, Germany
“Good food, bad price”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Food and atmosphere were ok, my grilled vegetables were just a bit too black, but the fish and the potatoes were fine. I also had some local white wine that is recommendable. However, the price in the end was shocking, 400 kuna for a big fish where you could not eat much of is just too much. In addition I really questioned whether this fish weighed 1 kg. after two weeks vacation on Croatia I can say that there are places with a much better price - service balance!

1 Thank Toby1983
Cavaglia, Italy
“Nice tavern under the tree, too much expensive”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Pol Mourvu it's a nice konoba (tavern) on the hills not far from Komiza. A few tables in the garden (during summer) help you to enjoy the breeze. The menu includes fish, shellfish and vegetables on barbecue and tuna pasticada (mainly). The white house wine was not a local wine, but it was more like the boxed wine you can buy at supermarket.The pasticada was not very tasty, served only with "gnocchi" (my husband asked for grilled vegetables and the maid said "no, you have gnocchetti included, so no vegetables" - the question is, why can't I have a few grilled vegetables if I feel like to?). The price of fish is by weight, but no one weighs the fish in front of you before cooking! So, in the end, we paid 520 hrk for a octopus salad and a risotto with cuttlefish ink (small portion as starters) 1 portion of tuna pasticada,1 piece of fish like tuna, 1 portion fo grilled vegetables, 1 portion of dried figs, 0,5 l of house wine and water from the source. I guess 520 hrk it's too much for me.

• Visited July 2013
Harleysville, PA
“Continues to be memorable...”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

I've been eating at Pol Murvu for more than 10 years, and it's been a pleasure to anticipate each time I go. I organize and lead small groups of American tourists to Croatia a few times a year, and we always spend 5 of the 14 days eating our way around Island Vis, an amazing culinary adventure, and a foodies dream! We save Pol Murvu for our last night, because it's always the 'icing on the cake' for our guests! The simplicity of the restaurant is extremely attractive and very welcoming, and the quality of the cooking is unbeatable. The mother / daughter / son-in-law team who are currently running the restaurant under the watchful eye of Gordana and Damir (who started it all), has been a welcomed and smooth transition. It's incredible to see how hard they work in their tiny, but efficient kitchen. The food is prepared with intense care to quality and detail. They bend over backwards to satisfy their guests.

Some restaurant owners on Vis have gotten lax from the increasing tourism exposure, taking for granted this relative new guarantee of business flow, and living off their laurels past. They're charging more than they should for their efforts, with a kind of hit and run mentality. But Pol Murvu treats their guests like it's their very first customer every time, always striving to please. (I owed a restaurant for 18 years and know this formula for longevity in this particular business!) Their prices are very fair, in fact lately it has been one of the lowest priced meals for our group out of all our eating experiences on the island, and the most generous portions too! Most of the time we're too full to enjoy the wonderful carob / nut cake they make (do save room)!

The traditional menu is tweaked with local ingredients, paying close attention to the seasons and the unique herbs and produce indigenous to the island. I love the wild asparagus soup in the early summer, and the grilled vegetables, always fresh and full of flavor. Stewed tuna in a delicious sauce with local wine and a hint of plum jam together with homemade gnocchi is a house speciality, don't miss it. Or try anything on their grill—absolutely wonderful fish and meats, the grilled lamb is amazingly flavorful. We enjoy all of these foods with their special homemade brandy and vulgava and plavac wines.

A word of warning; the konoba is small, with limited seating. It is best to phone ahead or you may have to wait awhile. Tables do not turn-over quickly here, and eating is a real production, so plan to spend some time enjoying yourself in the little courtyard, under the mulberry tree. A remarkable and memorable experience! Already looking forward to our next visit this September!

• Visited June 2013