“PERFECT IN EVERY WAY”

Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Leon
St. Catharines, Ontario
“PERFECT IN EVERY WAY”
Reviewed January 14, 2010

My daughter and I loved everything about this hotel. It is spotless with a gorgeous courtyard, beautifully furnished rooms, impeccable service, a great location, excellent food and friendly owners. We stayed in one of the less expensive rooms, which was not large, but very comfortable and a great value for the price. The front desk will even lend you a laptop for your personal use.

• Stayed January 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Tucson, Arizona
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 2,217 helpful votes
Reviewed January 2, 2010

As a constant traveler, I get tired of living out of a suitcase and usually unpack it as soon as I return home. This time, however, I came immediately to my computer to write about La Perla, a charming, recently renovated colonial hotel that provides an oasis of calm in central Leon. Before booking a room at this hotel, I read all the TA reviews and figured the place would be fine but wondered if such high praise might be a bit exaggerated. I soon learned that these comments about the outstanding nature of the lodging were more than justified.

My husband and I stayed for four nights on the second floor of the hotel, first in a double room and then in an elegant suite, both kept spotlessly clean. Each offered a comfortable bed, air conditioning, a ceiling fan, a carpeted floor, fine wooden furniture, a high ceiling, a small refrigerator, cable TV with many English channels, robes and a nice bathroom. The double room had no windows, which is common in colonial restoration, depending on the room's location in the building, but this only added to its wonderfully quiet ambiance in a noisy city. The double room had a shower; the suite had a tub with shower. The suite -- a huge room with a desk in an alcove -- has windows that open onto tiny balconies. It faced the street, where traffic noise could become loud sometimes, but this never bothered us.

Breakfast, included in the room rate, is served in the lovely ground-floor courtyard area. A variety of tasty choices is offered, such as beans and rice, with fried plantains, scrambled eggs and cheese. or cereal and yogurt. All choices came with fresh fruit, fresh orange juice and tea or excellent Nicaraguan coffee.

The hotel offers fine cuisine in its restaurant and it brought us -- who make it a point to avoid hotel restaurants -- to its tables three times. We especially liked the fresh fish. BTW, if anyone has read the review, where a guest disliked the shrimp cocktail sauce, please note that horseradish has now been brought to Leon, per the promise of Jim Peterson, one of the hotel's owners.

A bar with contemporary art on its walls, high tables with bar stools and a plasma TV also beckon as does a crystal-clear plunge pool at the back of the hotel. Alas, we never could fit a swim into our schedule. We did take advantage of the hotel's nice air-conditioned van, which is available to guests with a driver for a fee that depends on destination. This became our transport to nearby Las Penitas Beach and to Granada, our next stop.

It is hard to know where to begin in describing Jim Peterson's effect on the hotel. He obviously cares deeply about Nicaragua, the property, his employees and, of course, his guests. Jim stops by breakfast tables to greet and to talk with everyone who stays at La Perla. He stands ready to address any concern, offer information and answer questions. This affable man with a wonderful sense of humor seemed almost like a member of our family by the time we left. His two adult children were visiting him for the holidays and they seem to have inherited their father's outgoing personality and genuine interest in people. The reason I am not mentioning Mark, who is also a part owner of the hotel, is simply because he was not there during our stay.

Finally, Jim introduced us to Julio of Julio Tours in Leon. I give Julio my highest recommendation -- as a guide, a driver and a man who can offer incredible insight into his country's recent history, based on personal experience. I also found Julio to be extremely kind and encouraging as we ascended and descended Cerro Negro with him.

In summary, we found La Perla to be the best -- by far -- of the five hotels where we stayed during our two weeks in Nicaragua.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Texas
Reviewed December 28, 2009

I traveled from the US to Leon. The owners are from America, therefore, we had the best of both worlds. They knew much about Nicaragua, spoke both languages, making our stay all the more comfortable. We felt like family the whole time we were there. I was away from family on Thanksgiving Day, and they made a special Thanksgiving dinner for the guest from America. The staff and owners were always available to make you feel special and to do whatever was needed to make your stay "the best of the best".

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
CT USA
Reviewed December 21, 2009

My wife stayed at La Perla hotel in Leon in December. Our experience was awesome. The hotel is a boutique hotel that was once a mansion. It has been fully restored and is very, very beautiful. Jim Peterson, the owner, treated us like family and made sure that we had everything that we needed, The hotel is walking distance from everything. We used the hotel taxi service to pick us up from the Managua airport and also to take us to Granada for the day. We had a room in the back courtyard that opened onto the pool. We had the pool to ourselves for our stay and used it to cool down aftera day walking the city of Leon.

Leon is a beautiful, working Colonial city and La Perla is a a shining example of what the other colonial structures could be restored to.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Florida
Reviewed December 16, 2009

This hotel is as great. The owners are on-site and really take time to meet the guests and make sure they have a great time in Leon. One they even drove me to the beach since I got lost the day before trying to get there on my own.

Breakfast was included and since the food in the hotel was so good I eat there for Breakfast and dinner. This is not what I usually when I travel.

A week earlier visited Leon for a couple of days and stayed at a different hotel which was highly rated in Lonely Planet, what was I thinking from know on I am using the recommendations from tripadvisor since the reviews are current.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
Reviewed December 14, 2009

We had been driving around Leon looking for a place to stay - After checking out a few other hotels my wife wanted to check out La Perla but I was certain that it was going to be way out of our budget. I went inside and asked and was surprised that the rooms were only $80/night! Even though it was over our budget we decided that we should treat ourselves for the next two nights.

The hotel is incredible – it’s an old colonial mansion that has been completely renovated. The entire hotel is plush with an elegant air conditioned restaurant, small swimming pool, plasma TV in the bar, secure parking, etc. It would easily cost $300/night in the US. Our room was nice with a comfortable over sized bed, HOT water, cable TV, minibar, robes for guests to wear to the pool, etc.

When we arrived I had them do some laundry which was returned two hours later, warm out of the drier and everything was nicely folded. I think it was about $10 for a load.

The hotel is centrally located - two blocks form the Central Park and Cathedral. There are lots of museums and churches all within walking distance. The entire downtown area seemed very safe to me and we didn't have any hesitations walking around even at night. The owners are incredibly attentive to their guests - giving us suggestions on places to go, letting us use their laptops to check email, etc

I cant wait to go back to Leon and will DEFINATELY stay at La Perla!

I would ABSOUTELY return to La Perla!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
Reviewed December 9, 2009

For women traveling, this is an excellent hotel for location, security, and ammenities. Personable owners with your comfort in mind and excellent staff made our trip wonderful. We enjoyed the restaurant food with excellent quality and service at a reasonable price. We highly recommend this hotel with its charm and quietness from the busy streets of the city.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business