“Excellent company”

Tierra Tour - Day Tours
Ranked #8 of 30 Tours in Leon
Reviewed July 3, 2014

We did several tours organized by Tierra Tours in both Leon and Granada and were delighted with each one. The level of professionalism and enthusiasm by the guides, as well as fluency in english and knowledge about their subject was superb. We were always picked up in time at our hotel and each experience was different and really interesting. The credit card machine seems to be permanently on the blink and make sure you ask for a receipt when paying cash. Their prices are reasonable and range of different tours offered would meet most peoples needs. Thanks!

All reviews
in 37 reviews
"an alternative"
"safety equipment"
in 2 reviews
"and spoke great english"
"highlight of our trip"
"hour hike"
"cold beer"
"a lot of fun"

Reviewed June 23, 2014

This was one of the most amazing experiences! We did this with Tierra tours and had a very nice and experienced guide. On the way up we saw the bat cave, ask your guide about this as it was impressive. The hike was a bit heavy sometimes because of the fear of hights.... but physically very okay. The view of the crater at night is breathtaking, like nothing we've ever seen before. The smell of sulphur, the impressive noise (like everyone says, like a plane taking off), and the red lava beneath your feeth. A must see when in Leon!

1  Thank Magali V
Reviewed June 3, 2014

I used this tour company to book my volcano boarding and airport transfer from Leon to Managua after walking around and talking to a number of tour companies. It seems that no one in Leon really offers much in terms of different tours to Esteli, rappeling and such, which is a shame since I really wanted to to that. You have to take a few days/night tour to do these other things.

The price of the volcano boarding tour was almost the same as the other big company in town but I found them to be more personable when I booked - the big company pretty much was rude and could have cared less if I walked away without booking. Tierra's tour included an AC van and all fees were included in the price, rather than having to pay $5 upon entry to the park, which ended up $3 cheaper. The only downside to the van was that you had to walk back to the van after you boarded down rather than getting a ride immediately afterwards like the other tours with the 4 wheel drives. The tour guide, Miguel, was nice and told us some good little tidbits about the volcano. Be forewarned, the hike is STEEP and you have to carry your board and pack all the way up for at least 45 minutes in the extreme heat. I am quite athletic and I was pretty exhausted by the end. Then you suit up but the problem with the suits is that the goggles are very scratched so it is very difficult to see anything and you get rocks all in your nose and mouth - bring a handkerchief (or better yet, Tierra tours should offer them!) The level of instruction was pretty minimal on how to board but typical for a Central American tour. after a few minutes and just a "go" I was careening down the hill at at least 50 KPH and there was no way to stop - my heels didn't dig in to anything; I literally had to slide my behind off the board to slow down!! This is not an experience for the weak minded. I had a great time but my advice is to go slower than you think, stop halfway down and try to enjoy the ride b/c it's over too fast (and you may save yourself a face plant in the rocks)! The little fruit they offer at the end is ok, but beer or water would have been much better and just as cheap. All being said it was nicer to go in a small and less crazy group than the other tour but they are pretty much all the same.

As for the airport transfer, little did I know that it would be so difficult to get to the airport from Leon - options were ONE shuttle that left too later for my flight, public transport (not willing to risk missing my flight in case of something happening, besides a super sweaty 2 hour bus ride and then taxi to the airport), or pay the whopping $65 for a private truck with AC. The price was a bit high but what can be done? The guide was right on time and got me to the airport in plenty of time. Nothing outstanding but nothing out of the ordinary. They are dependable and offer a wide range of the standard, but not off the beaten path tours.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

First let me say the guides are wonderful, it is the booking and payment side that we had an issue with. First they overcharged us by $10 for one tour because when we initially signed up there were only two people, but additional people joined that should have reduced the per person price by $5 each. Second, we were supposed to be dropped off at our hotel in Managua on a shuttle bus drop off. Instead they took us to the airport. We had to get a cab to our hotel that was less than one mile away which cost $6. We were flying out very early the next morning and were very low on dollars. We were upset because they told us they would drop us off at the hotel. Lastly, they said their credit card machine wasn't working. It was broke for four days. They should have had plenty of time to repair. If they don't want to take credit they shouldn't say they offer it.

See more reviews
Reviewed March 31, 2014

We had a FABULOUS day in Nicaragua with Danny as our guide and Winston as our driver.

Danny was exceptional – his English was excellent, he provided a wealth of information and was open and honest in answering the many questions we had for him about the country, people, politics and the prospect of a Nicaraguan canal. Winston was very adept at driving the highways and through the narrow streets of Leon. He was kind enough to make a couple of ‘special request’ stops at a local supermarket (so I could pick up some Flor de Cana rum) and a bakery, where we enjoyed some local treats.

The highlight of the day was the tour of the Cathedral, which was made so very memorable by Danny getting permission to take us up on the roof for a panoramic view of the gorgeous landscape.

Having the very comfortable van and such a helpful driver and guide made it possible for our friend in a wheelchair to experience the very best of the country, even the San Jacinto mud pools!

We could not believe how passionate, positive and proud Danny is about his country. He is a true ambassador for Nicaragua and a tremendous asset to Tierra Tours.

Additionally, David, who is the sales manager for Tierra Tour, was incredibly prompt in replying to emails, very helpful and ensured all the details were taken care of. This was a MUCH better way to experience Nicaragua than the excursion offered by the cruise ship, especially when you have limited time. We could not have had a better experience!

2  Thank Marian H