“charming sleepy colonial city”
Review of Hotel El Convento

and 1 more site!
Hotel El Convento
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Leon
Reviewed January 28, 2014

Leon is a delightful small colonial town with many churches and an huge cathedral on the central square. The church of San Francisco is now a museum and the cloisters converted in 2000; reasonably comfy large rooms, corridors wide and airy stuffed full of artefacts from religious to sewing-machines etc., very much in the Spanish parador style which I like, although it can fell heavy. A small swimming pool. Gardens well kept and peaceful. Staff pleasant but English not spoken at all which was at times unsettling. Restaurant excellent we found, good breakfast on the terrace with local "delicacies"; our one evening meal was first-class although much off the menu as we were there at the Feast of the Immaculate Conception when the town was in feria mode, everything closed, noisy processions, fireworks, all great fun. Situation two blocks from the main square but everything in Leon is within very easy walking distance

Room Tip: rooms based around the cloisters, single storey so avoid those on the roads with cobbled streets as...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Hotel El Convento

Reviewed January 21, 2014

Let me first say that the MAIN reason my wife and I came to North to Leon was so that I personally and selfishly could sand surf down the Cerro Negro volcano.....and it was MORE than worth it.

Since we were coming to Leon, we obviously needed a place to stay, and since the Trip Advisor community seemed to like Hotel El Convento, we booked two nights here. Upon entering the El Convento, you are blown away by the beauty of the grounds. Very well taken care of landscape, a "maze" in the middle courtyard with a fountain, and a perfect pool in the back to relax, grab some sun (and beers) to contemplate what to do next.

The staff is great, front desk staff arranged my guide to Cerro Negro to sand surf.
Rooms are fine....with wifi, full cable, AC, and full bathrooms. Nothing missing in my opinion. The only knock was that our room (#12) backed up to the back gate of the property, which I think was the main entrance for employees, security, et al. So the large metal gate was constantly being opened and closed....but it wasnt terrible. The restaurant staff is great, food was good, and the prices seemed a bit higher than most in the area (but lets be honest, this is one of the nicest hotels in Leon).

All in all, if I ever come back to visit Leon, I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 13, 2014

This hotel is really a former convent, but the rooms are tiled, fully equipped and first rate. We had adjoining rooms off the central garden near the small pool. The staff was friendly and helpful and the restaurant served and amazing assortment of fresh delicacies. It was Christmas Eve, so we strolled frequently to the Cathedral and felt safe and welcomed. Excellent restaurants are nearby.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Stayed here with my husband and 6 month old son. Leon is a small city so this hotel is of course centrally located, easy walking distance of everything else in Leon. Had lunch when we first arrived at the restaurant and the food was quite good, a bit pricey for what it was but that is to be expected. The gardens and courtyard/lobby area was very pleasant and the room a decent size. The hot water was not reliable but that has more to do with Nicaragua (stayed at 7 hotels in Nicaragua) than the hotel. The hotel arranged for a tour for us for volcano surfing, my only complaint is that I told them which company I wanted to call and they called another without telling me - so if there is a specific company you would like to do a tour with it is better to just go to their office yourself in town. The pool is very small and not nearly as inviting as it looks in the photos online so we did not end up swimming. The staff arranged for a private car for us to travel to our next destination in Nicaragua and was very helpful and friendly. Overall a pleasant stay.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 11, 2014

This place is simply a must see if you are into antiques combined with modern art. The collection of interesting items throughout the hotel's open air patio and hallway area is simply stunning. You'll be amazed what you'll find in this old convent converted into a hotel.

I was not too impressed with my room. Compared to the rest of the hotel it seemed a bit sterile. The bathroom, too, may need some upgrading in the not too distant future.

The way the buffet breakfast is being presented could also be improved on. The staff was not very attentive in the restaurant. Bar service in the lobby area seems almost non-existent unless you go look for a waiter yourself. The empty glass I left on a table was still sitting there four hours or so after I left and came back wanting to enjoy another drink in the same place. I know this is knit-picking. It's just that everything else is so beautiful that poor service somehow mars the overall very positive experience.

I should add that the staff at the reception is very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights and could have not asked for a better first stop,when coming into Nicaragua.
The House is very beautiful and decorated with such precise beauty! The inner garden area is gorgous and well maintained.
Just as anywhere in Nicaragua the service of the staff was outstanding.
The rooms out to the street might be a bit dark,but still very comfortable.
The pool area is neat and clean and a treat in Lèons hot hot hot temperatures!
I would recommend the food too much, but it was ok for what we needed.
Location is superb and right around the central plaza and cathedral.
Lèon is very safe. We did not feel unsecure at any time, day or night.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 31, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights .The hotel is near enough to the centre of the city to access within a few minutes walk,and suffuciently away from noise to ensure a good nights sleep. Our room was large with two double beds and the bathroom and shower facilities were good.The buffet breakfast was excellent.The hotel itself is full of character and even "lonely planet guide" refers to it as worth visiting as part of a walking tour of the city.There is also a small swimming pool and gym.I have never stayed anywhere like this before,don't miss it!

Room Tip: The majority of rooms surround a central garden .We had one with 2 double beds and this ,combined wi...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple