“Awesome trip with Tom”

Ranked #3 of 28 Tours in Leon
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed July 30, 2014 via mobile

We looked into all of the different options for Volcano Boarding. We ended up picking Bigfoot because it looked like the most fun, while still safe, place to do it with. If you're looking for some sort of luxury volcano boarding trip, look elsewhere. But if you are looking for a fun, adventurous, affordable and moderately safe trip, you'll like Bigfoot. Bonus was they quickly put up the pictures on FB from our trip so no need to bring a camera. Double bonus was our guide Tom who has helpful, knowledgable and fun.

There are newer reviews for Bigfoot Hostel and Volcano Boarding

Reviewed July 2, 2014

We had such an amazing time! The hike is not easy, but the scenery is definitely worth it. We were a big group, but our tour guides, especially Jeremy, were so nice and helpful! For 30$ plus a 5$ entry fee, you get climb the volcano, slide on it, you get a t shirt, cookies and a beer!
Highly recommended!

1  Thank Cassandra095
Reviewed June 26, 2014

There are several places in Leon that will take you volcano boarding, so it makes sense to check out a few before putting your money down. I decided on Bigfoot because I wanted a bit more of a social experience (for $29 plus a $5 park entrance fee you pay at the volcano, you get a t-shirt, transportation, a guide, beer, cookie, and a mojito). The tour leaves at 9 AM and we were told that groups are normally around 30 people (ours was small, only 9). The ride out takes around 40 minutes and it's is a bit bouncy but scenic. Once you get to the volcano you can pay a local guy to carry your board up for $5 (if money isn't an issue for you consider doing it to help them out since jobs are scarce in the area around the volcano, plus it makes the climb alot easier), then begin the approximately 45 minute hike up. It isn't incredibly difficult (the first half is the hardest) but you are sliding around on loose volcanic pebbles and sand so it's no cake-walk either. At the top you suit up (Bigfoot gives you a jumpsuit and goggles) then slide down! The ride down is over in less than a minute. Although the guide will take pictures, and they will tell you not to bother bringing your camera, I was glad that I did since the view from the top is really nice. TIPS: all you need to bring with you is your camera (if you want to take pictures), a waterbottle, and $5 for the entrance fee ($10 if you want your board carried), don't bring anything else since you have to carry it up AND board down with it! Don't be afraid of getting hurt or going too fast, it's volcanic sand and pretty soft (I think I rolled down a large section of the hill and I only have a few small scratches). ENJOY!

Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

Best hostel I've ever been to! Best pizza in town and of course best trip to the volcano! My ankle injuries worth the experience! No doubt this will be a story I'll tell my grandchildren

Reviewed June 14, 2014

Volcano boarding with BigFoot Hostel is a must-do when traveling through Leon. Jérémie was a excellent guide leading us through the 45 minute hike up the volcano and giving instructions on how to properly slide down Cerro Negro and have the most fun doing so. I didn't stay at the hostel but took advantage of both volcano boarding and a shuttle to their beach site about 30 minutes away.