“Volcano Boarding, Cerro Negro, Leon Nicaragua”
Review of Sonati

Sonati
Ranked #11 of 27 Outdoor Activities in Leon
More attraction details
Owner description: Join the best outdoor guides in Leon to explore our beautiful surroundings. We offer a wide range of activities that suit all needs, from the most rigorous to the more laid-back travelers: Volcano boarding, Climb volcanoes, Swim in volcanic lagoons, Float in the mangrove, Kayak Isla Juan Venada, Turle watching (seasonal), Discover the birds around Leon, Enjoy a relaxed city tour and learn about the crazy history of Leon. We are a 100% nonprofit organization that provides free environmental education to children. All profits from tours go to support environmental programs. We also run tours from our office in Esteli. Experience the cloud forest, swim in waterfall pools, farmstays and more!!
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Stayed at the hostel and joined their tour of Cerro Negro, including the trek up the Volcano and boarding down it! It was an awesome experience! I highly recommend it. And Sonati was an excellent tour to go with. Super friendly, fun, and experienced.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

For those who value mangroves (las manglares) this tour is for you. We had two guides who were both excellent. Several bird species were seen. We stopped for a break where there was access to the beach and a nice covered seating area. They had a bunch of sacks there that were filled with sand and about 9000 turtle(tortuga) eggs as part of an effort to protect the population in this area.

This tour was more strenuous than I had expected. It was a good workout. Be sure to bring you sunscreen (bloqueador)!

Reviewed October 18, 2013

With Bismark and Aristides we made this wonderful tour in the hotest part of nicaragua. At lunchtime we startet in Potosí, ist was a hard but not difficult 4 1/2 hour walk up to the crater, where we had a wonderful sunset. Our backpack was very heavy because of the 6 bottles of water, we had to carry up. We slept in tents near the ridge, so we could watch the sunrise next morning. The tour was very nice, wonderful nature, very quiet, a great swimmingpool in Potosí.
Many thanks to the friendly guides! Brigitte and Evi

Reviewed October 17, 2013

Amazing experience with good down to earth people from all over. The volcano is exceptional with unique forests and a cone where you can smell, see, and hear molten rock energy brewing. I really enjoyed the whole thing, sunset, campfire and the trek itself.

1  Thank CliffordHanbury
Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

I decided to stay at their hostel because they seem to have a great reputation and I really wanted to do a trek while I was here in Leon. I signed up for Telica my first day here, but I was only the third person, and I came to find out the next day that the trip wasn't going.

Luckily, they had posted in the lobby that they had a "confirmed" trip to Volcan San Cristobal leaving the next day, and I immediately signed up, because that is the volcano I most wanted to climb while here. I had planned on going to other tour agencies to look around that morning, but was perfectly happy to bum around Leon for another day to have te opportunity to climb San Cristobal.

However, when I came back later in the day, the trip going to San Cristobal had disappeared from the board, and no one in the office knew what I was talking about. I came to Find out at 10PM that the trip had basically been cancelled, but that had not been conveyed to anyone on staff (they didn't even know it had been scheduled), nor had anyone thought to inform me. Note that this was too late to sign up for any of the other trekking opportunities in the area. And I'm unfortunately leaving tomorrow, having already extended my time here to climb San Cristobal.

Because of Sonati, it's quite likely that I will have stayed in Leon for 3 days and not hiked a single volcano, which was my main goal here. Do not use them unless you're willing to be disappointed by poor planning, poor communication, and also no trekking at all.

2  Thank SteveTok