“Perfect for us”

Ranked #8 of 58 Specialty Lodging in Leon
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Perfect for us”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We booked 2 nights here, but stayed 4 as we enjoyed it so much. It is nestled in a cosy corner, not too far from the centre of town and an easy walk away to bars in the evening.
The rooms were clean and the breakfast is a great start to the day. The kitchen is handy, free water available and a well-stocked bar to relax at in the evening.
The best thing about the place is the staff - it feels very friendly and family-oriented. And Donald is a really useful fountain of knowledge, nothing is too much to ask - he will even cook dinner for you if you buy the ingredients!! He offers advice on things to do and what is going on in León and is always keen to join in. Really recommend this place.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sean M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Chalons-en-Champagne, France
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I was due to arrive in Leon quite late at night so didn't want to be spontaneous and booked the Latina Hostal on hostelworld the day before. The dorms were clean, the staff were friendly and the breakfast of banana, pancakes and syrup was pretty good. However, this is an extremely quiet hostel and is definitely not for someone keen on going out in the evenings. In addition, the plug situation was terrible. They only had plug holes situated next to the top bunkbeds which made it difficult for those on the bottom bunks to charge their phones, cameras etc.

I'd recommend staying here if you want somewhere peaceful and relaxing. If you want to go out, you can always go to the Big Foot hostel in the evenings for drinks and then return to the Latina later.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
World
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Way away from the bustle of the tourist packed drags where other hostels are located, but still within a few blocks from the market, cathedral and everything else. It is a nice quiet option, with clean rooms, good coffee, pancakes for breakfast, and a friendly staff that will be sure to take care of you.
They have a pretty stocked bar, but that doesn't effect the peace.
The bathrooms are nice and clean too!!
Plenty of hammocks too, if you can get in them between the rain showers.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank SteelhorseNYC
Hoboken
Reviewed August 2, 2013

530 am wake up to start our day. Silvio Julio and Andri were to be our tour guides for the morning excursion, volcano boarding! They asked us if we wanted to drive over there in a 4X4 or a pickup truck... 4X4!!! If we knew how dusty and how much crap would be flying up in the air maybe we would have made a different decision but it worked out for the best in the end. We got to Cerro Negra in about 45 minutes and started our hike. It took about 45 minutes to hike up but had some crazy good views and got to see some steam spewing from the inside of the lava. Andri offered us the easy route or the tough route in the wind. Tough route, well worth it. When we got to the top we saw a swarm of migratory bees just chilling out and made lava ash angels. We then boarded down, Matt's snowboarding skills proved worthwhile to him. After a few seconds he was gone with me trailing a little and Dave and Grant taking the opportunity to get more pictures. When Matt and I got down they let us take the 4X4 around the bottom of the volcano ash which was a nice added bonus. We all ended up taking turns and buying a few rounds of beer at the welcome center of the volcano. We drove back to Leon with another round of beers and went straight to lunch with our three guides. Good large portioned food that cost 21 dollars for the 7 of us. After heading back and trying to wash the layer of volcano ash off our skin, we had a couple of more mojitos (complimentary with the morning tour) we headed out to San Juan Del Sur.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed July 27, 2013

We came straight here from the bus terminal after reading the great reviews. We asked the girl if she had a private matrimonial room available and she said no, just as we were leaving I asked did she have a twin room and she said yes - strange she didn't give us that option in the first place and even stranger when we entered the room one of the 2 beds was a double?!?
The hostel is very small and is mostly dorms. Our room was ok, no character just very plain but it had 2 fans which is good in this steamy town.
There was a kitchen for use, a small breakfast of pancake and banana provided.
The hostel was always locked up which is good security.
Staff were friendly and helpful, did not really speak English but good for me to keep practicing my Spanish.
There is a bar out the back in the courtyard and there was generally a good atmosphere at night with the cheap drinks on offer.
The only problem was their ability to deal with reservations. After our first night we told them we would stay 4 nights and it would not be a problem. As we were leaving for the day on our penultimate day they ran to us at the front door and asked us to move into a dorm as they had taken a reservation on the internet, we refused and they said internet bookings take precedence over walk-ins, normally I would agree but not when you have already been there 3 nights. As we planned on leaving the next day at 4am to try and get to El Salvador on public buses I refused to take a dorm. If we were staying longer I would have moved hostel but it was late morning and it was our last night, in the end they apologised and we stayed.
This seemed to be a normal problem for them, we met a lady who had reserved a bed in the ladies dorm but had been moved to the mixed due to overbooking and another group had previously stayed and left there bags there with a reservation for when they returned from a hiking trip to find their reservation not honoured.
All in all - not as good as the reviews make out, but a safe cheap option for those on a budget but take care your room reservation is secure.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I arrived at Latina after a less-than-awesome day traveling from San Juan del Sur. After getting ripped off by a taxi driver in Managua and the microbus driver to Leon, I wasn't really in a great mood. Luckily Latina was a total 180 for the day, and the next 4 nights I spent there were terrific. I had a reservation, which was good because when I arrived they were full. I was immediately treated to a warm welcome and shown around the hostel, as well as given a list of recommended restaurants and sights around Leon, and set up with a local tour guide so that I could go to Cerro Negro. Seeing as how it is quite a small hostel, I wasn't sure how social my time there would be, especially when you see the hordes of people throughout Nicaragua wearing Big Foot t-shirts. I think it really depends on luck of the draw - when I was there, there were several backpackers traveling alone or in pairs so I quickly met a lot of people. And if you want to enjoy Leon's nightlife, there's no better guide than Silvio. I didn't get to go out much since I had a cold for 3/4 nights I was there, but I know those who were able to go out really enjoyed it. The free pancake and banana breakfast in the morning was great, as was the complimentary laundry service. At first it seemed as though Latina was out of the way, but once I got to know my way around the center I realized it was really just a block or two outside of the busier area and yet very nice and quiet. The central courtyard is lovely with plenty of hammocks and a nice little bar. There's also a tv in the lobby and a decent wifi connection. The hostel also feels very secure as the front gate is padlocked so you have to yell or ring the bell to be let in.

Only a couple of complaints - 1. there are not enough lockers in the dorm for each bed. Since I carry my own padlock, I was able to lock the zippers on my pack, although that certainly isn't a foolproof solution. They give you the option of leaving your valuables at the front desk, but perhaps smaller lockboxes where guests could secure their money, passport, and electronics (that's all I really care about locking up) could be a space-saving and economical option for the hostel. 2. Each bed has its own mini fan, but truthfully the fan on my top bunk was a little too far from the bed and too weak to be very effective. At other hostels, larger floor fans seemed to do a better job of keeping the temperatures down. (Leon is HOT!!!)

Other than that, everything was great. I can't emphasize how lovely each and every person working at Latina is. Combine that with a great group of fellow travellers and I had a truly memorable time there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Managua, Nicaragua
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Standard hostel for the price, you get breakfast and the kitchen is better than some I've seen at the same price (although they should really fix that blender, fresh fruit batidos are the best part of having your own kitchen here!). Having to ask to be let out each time (they lock the gate) isn't the most convenient but it was nice knowing my stuff was safe.

Avoid the sunken bed in the mixed dorms and it's more than comfortable, with a fan per bed. Bonus points for the free laundry and fruits falling from the trees, and of course the staff is the best part of this place - Aleska is so sweet you couldn't ask for a nicer person. Alejandro takes care of security and is a happy guy with a smile ready even for the people who don't speak Spanish. Silvio should work for the city as Leon's official guide, he knows what's happening, where, and what to pay, and is an absolute blast to hang out with. Thanks for the good times guys!

Room Tip: Avoid the sunken bed in the shared dorm