“Great organization and fun staff”

Quetzaltrekkers - Hike Volcanoes Help Kids
Ranked #3 of 28 Outdoor Activities in Leon
More attraction details
Owner description: Quetzaltrekkers is a non-profit volunteer organization, offering tourists adventurous hikes to raise money for organizations helping streetkids and children at risk in Leon, Nicaragua and Quetzaltenango (Xela), Guatemala.
Reviewed February 23, 2014

I took a two day backpacking trip to El Hoyo volcano and Laguna Asososca over a weekend in December and it was a fantastic experience! I'm no stranger to hiking and camping, but of course doing this in Nicaragua is an altogether unique experience-- definitely needed a lot more water here because of the humidity. The tour guides were excellent: Charlotte from France and Rick from the U.S., were both super prepared and knowledgeable which made everything feel very easy. There were two days of hiking, one overnight setting up tents/camping on the hillside, so in theory there's a lot of things that could have gone wrong but didn't because the guides were so great. They provided supplies including food and utensils for the meals, and the group divided carrying everything needed for the weekend. QT is a volunteer run organization and I know that they donate funds to local development/education projects, and the volunteers also spend time working with kids and partner NGOs. I look forward to doing another hike with them!

1  Thank JenniferWSF
in 10 reviews
"sleeping bag"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

What a fantastic non-profit organization!
I did the volcano boarding with this company and am so happy that I did! The staff was absolutely amazing. Extremely friendly and knowledgeable of Nicaragua. You could tell they enjoy what they do!
Huge bonus that you are able to do two volcano boarding runs! My first run I was very nervous and went embarrassingly slow, but the second run, I had no fear and went for it! Awesome!
I wish I had heard about this company before as I would have loved to do an overnight hike with this company!
Emily - you rock! Thank you for one of the best days of my trip!!

1  Thank Jhar33
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Dedicated volunteers from around the world leading hikes up the Marabios volcano chain or hikes into the highlands. I went to Somoto Canyon and spent and afternoon floating down a lovely river between high canyon walls. I also visited one of the projects they fund (all funds collected from tours go towards local social projects) and the kids put on a show for us, showed off their new dormitories and demonstrated the difference in outlook a few dollars applied in the right place can make. I highly recommend supporting this group

2  Thank Bj C
Reviewed February 4, 2014

Everything about this company and their tour impressed me to no end. I arrived in Leon the evening before the tour left, and had emailed the day before explaining that I might not make the 6pm sign up time. The staff were very friendly and accommodating, and when I arrived at 5:55pm, I was already on the list to hike. The hike itself was tough, but well worth it once we reached the top. The sunset over the ocean and the sunrise over the mountains were breathtaking, and the sight of the lava by night was out of this world. Our guides, Kelsey and Sam, were energetic, hilarious, very knowledgeable, and fantastic cooks! It was an unforgettable experience and I will be back to hike with them again.

1  Thank Bee8416