“2 day overnight at Telica, excellent hike, great people, well-handled” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Quetzaltrekkers - Day Tours

Quetzaltrekkers - Day Tours
Ranked #1 of 21 Outdoor Activities in Leon
More attraction details
Owner description: Quetzaltrekkers is a non-profit volunteer organization, offering tourists adventurous hikes to raise money for organizations helping streetkids and children at risk in Leon, Nicaragua and Quetzaltenango (Xela), Guatemala.
Chiang Mai, Thailand
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“2 day overnight at Telica, excellent hike, great people, well-handled”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2013

I did the overnight tour with Quetzaltrekkers and was incredibly pleased with this trip. Our guides were down-to-earth, fun, and easy to talk to. So was the whole group pretty much. I'm glad I stayed over night because the view of the lava was much better at night. It's not bubbling and boiling red like I thought, but it's still awesome to look down this massive crater and see the bright orangered glow cracking through the blackness. I highly recommend this tour around a full moon. I went 3 days before it was full and it was so bright you didn't need a headlamp to find your way. It's a really surreal place with the cone next to a small pond with cows and horses hanging out.

Why Quetzaltrekkers over other places? They donate half the profit to kids first off. They bring a decent amount of food and snacks. I was never left wanting. They have some gear to lend out if you need it, too.

Visited November 2013
Quetzaltrekkers, Manager at Quetzaltrekkers - Day Tours, responded to this review, December 15, 2013
Hey! Thanks for the positive review!!! Our guides love hearing that people have a great experience and Volcan Telica is definitely a favourite.

We'll just mention that we actually donate 100% (not half) of all profits to the local and national projects we support. Our profits are based on what income we save after the costs of food and tranpsort for each hike we operate. All of our guides are volunteers and our overhead costs (office rental, utilities bills and gear maintenance) are extremely low as all of us pay for the rent of the office and living quarters out of our own pockets and there is no 'owner' per se of Quetzaltrekkers Leon collecting a salary.

As part of our overhead, the only stipend we offer is that each guide receives food on the days they are hiking and we have two volunteers who stay for a one year period who receive free accommodation and a basic food allowance.

If you look at other 'non-profit' tourism agencies in Nicaragua, you will see that we are the only operation that donates every single bit of profit directly to our projects and that we have no overhead costs related to running side businesses or paying employees etc.. If you hike with us, you can rest assured that your donation goes the furthest towards making a direct, positive change for the youth and communities of Nicaragua.

Cheers! QT Leon

Sao Paulo, SP
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“2 Days Telica Hike”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013

I just came back from my trip to Nicaragua. Among other things we took the 2 days hike to Telica Volcano with Quetzaltrekkers and it was amazing!

They were very professional, super nice and very well organized. We had an amazing experience!

I would really recommend it to everyone!

1 Thank amelopmar
Chicago, Illinois, United States
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Northern Highlands & Full Moon Telica Amazingness”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2013

I did two separate treks with Queztaltrekkers and both were great. The first one I did was the Northern Highlands three day trip. We had to switch around our tour a little bit and Queztaltrekkers was more than willing to change things for us so that we could accommodate for our work schedule. The chocolate factory is a must do! The two women who showed us what they do all day were very generous and the chocolate was amazing. Do not go to Matagalpa without doing this. We had a longer hike the first day which was a bit more difficult than I had expected. I hadn't hiked with heavy gear in a while so I was struggling since most of it was uphill. However, the guides were great, they were actually able to help me with some of the weight since I was such a wimp and they were more than willing to walk a bit slower with me.

On the second day, we walked through the hills for a while, down to a small town called San Jose. It was beautiful watching the rolling hills and checking out the coffee plantation. And even though were caught in and out of the rain, it was enjoyable compared to the heat in Leon. We then went to a placed called Cascada Blanca for lunch and Nacatamales before heading to check out a couple of waterfalls. Both were amazing but the second one was my favorite since we got to camp directly behind the waterfall in a cave that overlooked it. The food was simple both nights that we camped but add hot sauce to anything and I'll be happy! The guides were awesome as well. We had three guys take us on the hike and they were as informative as they were helpful and fun to be around for a couple of days. All around awesome trip to go on and a good price as well.

The second hike we did was the Telica Full Moon. Much much bigger group than the Northern Highlands hike. There were about 25 of us which makes it a bit more crowded than I care for. However, the hike was great. It took about three to four hours to the top but it did not disappoint. The sky was clear by the time we got to the volcano which made for an amazing view. We arrived just in time to check out the lava and head back to watch the sunrise. The hike down can be a daunting after a long night of hiking but we made it pretty quickly and then headed back and had some breakfast to the continue sleeping the day away. The guides were great on this hike as well, but again, would have preferred a smaller group.

1 Thank Rachel W
Melbourne, Australia
“Volcano boarding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013

Brilliant! Best tour for volcano cero negro around Leon and cost is cheaper too. We had great guides, 2 trips up the volcano (most only do 1) and lunch and water included which most other companies do not offer. Really great experience and the guides captured some great photos. Really glad we went with quetzeltrekkers in the end as originally we were going with big foot (as we were staying at that hostel) but much better value and service from quetzeltrekkers- cheers guys!

Austin, Texas
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“100 stars”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

I'd like to thank our guides Mike and Charlotte for a seamlessly wonderful experience! We boarded Cerro Negro, then hiked to El Hoyo and camped overnight at the base of the sinkhole. The next day we hiked to Asoscosa Lagoon for a very appreciated swim. The pace was great, the guides were kind and professional, the food was simple but delicious. I enjoyed learning about the life of the volunteers for QT and how the hiking funds benefits the organizations QT supports. Lots of other companies offer tours but I liked the fact that QT is staffed by volunteers and benefiting those who need assistance. Highly recommended!

Visited October 2013