“Volcano Hike”

Quetzaltrekkers - Hike Volcanoes Help Kids
Ranked #3 of 28 Outdoor Activities in Leon
More attraction details
Owner description: Quetzaltrekkers is a non-profit volunteer organization, offering tourists adventurous hikes to raise money for organizations helping streetkids and children at risk in Leon, Nicaragua and Quetzaltenango (Xela), Guatemala.
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I signed up to hike the Telica Volcano during full moon and it was an unforgettable experience. Virginia the lead guide was knowledgeable and full of energy. I liked that there were two other guides in the rear, since I'm a bit of a slow poke. It was a fairly long hike but we took breaks with snacks. Everything went off without a hitch and I would definitely hike with them again.

2  Thank bordercoolrye
in 5 reviews
"awesome guides"
"sleeping bag"

Reviewed March 29, 2013

I hiked with these guys in Xela, Guatemala so I thought I would go to their Leon office to hike & they didn't disappoint.

Again, they provided me with all the gear, clothing & equipment I needed for an overnight hike.

Professional guides & a well run company; I definitely recommend them!

2  Thank AussieDizzle
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Awesome volcano boarding tour. Chill,helpful and laidback staff that were informative and hiked up with the rest of the group who wanted to do it a second time. Note: going up there the second time is a lot warmer since its later during the day, but totally worth it since you dare to go way faster then the first time.

2  Thank alebale2
Reviewed February 8, 2013

My friend and I were more than happy to support a good cause by booking with Quetzaltrekkers! We did the volcano boarding at Cerro Negro for around 30 dollars I think. Transport and gear are low budget, but more than sufficient! The volunteering guides are enthusiastic and provide good information about boarding down. The one hour trek to the top was not so hard as I expected. The scenery is also beautiful! The picnic - lunch afterwards was fun and we also got a nice T-shirt! I would definitely recommend them to book your trip!!

1  Thank Evelien I
See more reviews
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I had a great time on Quetzaltrekkers' full moon trek.

We began with a group dinner at the office. The volunteers served up a very hearty dinner of lentils, chicken curry, and rice. We were each given 4L of water and could borrow items we did not have (head lamp, backpack, etc).

There were three volunteers/guides with us -- two of them led the group, and the third was at the back of the pack. They were enthusiastic and carried all the snacks (dessert squares, carrot sticks, cookies, nuts, quiche).

At the campsite below the summit, we rested before our little campfire. Up until this point, we were dripping in sweat. But as soon as we stopped moving, it does get quite cold. I would recommend bringing a light jacket… and maybe even a t-shirt to change into so that you're not putting your jacket on over a sweat-drenched t-shirt.

The hike itself isn't easy, and hiking in the dark only makes it harder. Most of us found the trek to be harder than our expectations.

After the trek, we returned to the office for a breakfast of granola and fruit. We were also each given a t-shirt.

I would recommend Queltzaltrekkers. The volunteers are nice and the proceeds go to a good cause.

As an aside, I did check out the full-moon hike offered by another organization. They did not provide dinner, snacks, breakfast, or water; only had one guide with the group; and provided private transportation to Telica, but the trip back to town (when you are exhausted and covered in dirt and sweat) would be on public transportation. So, for $10 more, I went with Queltzaltrekkers.

3  Thank JustinaL370