“Great like Xela, Guatemala”

Quetzaltrekkers - Day Tours
Ranked #1 of 26 Outdoor Activities in Leon
More attraction details
Owner description: Quetzaltrekkers is a non-profit volunteer organization, offering tourists adventurous hikes to raise money for organizations helping streetkids and children at risk in Leon, Nicaragua and Quetzaltenango (Xela), Guatemala.
Melbourne, Australia
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Great like Xela, Guatemala”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I hiked with these guys in Xela, Guatemala so I thought I would go to their Leon office to hike & they didn't disappoint.

Again, they provided me with all the gear, clothing & equipment I needed for an overnight hike.

Professional guides & a well run company; I definitely recommend them!

Visited March 2013
2 Thank AussieDizzle

Malmo, Sweden
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“Great tour company”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Awesome volcano boarding tour. Chill,helpful and laidback staff that were informative and hiked up with the rest of the group who wanted to do it a second time. Note: going up there the second time is a lot warmer since its later during the day, but totally worth it since you dare to go way faster then the first time.

Visited February 2013
2 Thank alebale2
Leuven
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“fun day at cerro negro!”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

My friend and I were more than happy to support a good cause by booking with Quetzaltrekkers! We did the volcano boarding at Cerro Negro for around 30 dollars I think. Transport and gear are low budget, but more than sufficient! The volunteering guides are enthusiastic and provide good information about boarding down. The one hour trek to the top was not so hard as I expected. The scenery is also beautiful! The picnic - lunch afterwards was fun and we also got a nice T-shirt! I would definitely recommend them to book your trip!!

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Evelien I
Toronto, Canada
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Great full moon trek”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I had a great time on Quetzaltrekkers' full moon trek.

We began with a group dinner at the office. The volunteers served up a very hearty dinner of lentils, chicken curry, and rice. We were each given 4L of water and could borrow items we did not have (head lamp, backpack, etc).

There were three volunteers/guides with us -- two of them led the group, and the third was at the back of the pack. They were enthusiastic and carried all the snacks (dessert squares, carrot sticks, cookies, nuts, quiche).

At the campsite below the summit, we rested before our little campfire. Up until this point, we were dripping in sweat. But as soon as we stopped moving, it does get quite cold. I would recommend bringing a light jacket… and maybe even a t-shirt to change into so that you're not putting your jacket on over a sweat-drenched t-shirt.

The hike itself isn't easy, and hiking in the dark only makes it harder. Most of us found the trek to be harder than our expectations.

After the trek, we returned to the office for a breakfast of granola and fruit. We were also each given a t-shirt.

I would recommend Queltzaltrekkers. The volunteers are nice and the proceeds go to a good cause.

As an aside, I did check out the full-moon hike offered by another organization. They did not provide dinner, snacks, breakfast, or water; only had one guide with the group; and provided private transportation to Telica, but the trip back to town (when you are exhausted and covered in dirt and sweat) would be on public transportation. So, for $10 more, I went with Queltzaltrekkers.

Visited December 2012
3 Thank JustinaL370
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Beautiful views!”
Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

I did the 2 day El Hoyo Hike with quetzaltrekkers which was awesome and I though great value for money. We started off doing the volcano boarding before we headed off on our hike.

The first part of the hike was steep and tough. You might want to bring your own snacks if you eat a lot. The rest of the hike after the first part wasn't so bad. Bring appropriate shoes. One girl didn't bring the right shoes and she slowed the whole group down. I felt a bit sorry for her as I could tell how bad she felt.

The view from our camping spot was spectacular! We watched the sunset which was really beautiful.

The only downside to this hike was the wait at the end of the hike to get the bus back to leon. We waited for about 2 hours which is a long time when you are exhausted and in desperate need for a shower.

Also, one of the guides was using his machete on plants that weren't in our way and was just hacking at things when he walked which I thought was really inappropriate! We need to look after our environment! I thought he would know better.

Apart from that I really loved it and would recommend it to anyone!

2 Thank TravelonTrend